Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Liquid and ONE Bag rule from a LHR Goon

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:14 pm

Once upon a time I loved going to London and loved the British.

Then came the Iraq war and the Brits major involvement.

I avoid the UK and all UK reminders at all costs.

Sorry, but there is a price to pay when you invade, occupy, and steal natural resources that do NOT belong to you, not to mention slaughter hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

So, who gives a hoot about the one-bag rule. I would not go to the UK if you could carry-on a sofa and chair.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
What's the BIG DEAL with the one bag rule?
It adds two hours to travel, that's the big deal.

Two bags as carry-on; I land at LAX at 1:50 pm, I am out of the airport at 2:15 pm tops.

With a checked bag, it's one hour later since I have to wait for my priority-tagged bag to land on the belt dead last. Add one hour at check-in as well, vs. just walking in to get the boarding pass.

In transit at LHR? Out through immigration first, back in again after checking in the second bag and trading a round of insults with LHRGoon's little friends.

For what, exactly?

Last edited by Droneklax; Apr 26, 2007 at 8:28 pm
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by LHRGoon
One girl can spell FUDGE with the grades of her GCSEs.

You deserve better than this job.^ Make sure you get a little FT pin so I can say hi next time I pass through your terminal.

I'll be the guy with 2 bags. Are you the one who caught me the other day and told me he thought the rules were stupid, as he pointed me toward immigration in T2?
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
For long(ish) trips that include UK I have to choose between adding several hours to allow time to check in and risk bags getting lost somewhere along the way (I almost never have just the one flight), or as I decided for my recent trip not bringing some stuff I'd like to in order to meet a stupid rule. I'm one of the lucky ones who can easily immigrate, rush to check in and rush back airside. Others aren't so lucky due to nationality or mobility issues.

Unlike some in USA I do not have a lot of gear to carry on. My recent trip I had 2 carry on bags - one small wheeled and one duffel type which I jammed inside the other for LHR security. Between them they weighed less than 20kg. If I'd been able to take all that I wanted that might have been 20-25kg. Stupid hoops to go through for no value.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.003008 MM
These rules vary slightly in each terminal. Today we had a brief saying deflated footballs were allowed. Yesterday they weren't.
Of course they had to be deflated, otherwise you'd have a bunch of footballs bouncing off you LHRGoon melon all day long.

God forbid us Ameridans came over with our American footballs...John Elway and his boys would have a field day with you goons.

Last edited by tailwindflyer; Apr 26, 2007 at 10:28 pm
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a photographer. I carry a 15lb. bag with close to $15K worth of camera equipment in it.

I also want to take my usual carry-on with medication, food, reading material, MP3 player, small laptop, etc.

It's not a BIG DEAL except that I won't fly on any carrier, or through any country, that won't let me take both bags on board with me.

The world is a big place. I have no need to transit LHR and I won't.

Edit to say that puts me in the bizarre position of mainly flying US carriers since they are more consistent than non-US, and especially third-world, carriers.

Last edited by birdstrike; Apr 26, 2007 at 10:42 pm
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:10 pm

Programs: SK*S, AA PLT, US*S
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Unlike some in USA I do not have a lot of gear to carry on. My recent trip I had 2 carry on bags - one small wheeled and one duffel type which I jammed inside the other for LHR security. Between them they weighed less than 20kg. If I'd been able to take all that I wanted that might have been 20-25kg. Stupid hoops to go through for no value.
I don't think you need to be in the US to have a lot of gears. I'm not a US Citizen, but I'm living here. I am the one getting the "Heavy" stickers on my luggage.. Yes, even when I go away for two days. Always "Heavy"...

And I have two carry-on items to. If I'm going for more than four days, I'll need an additional bag or knowing that the hotel offers a good laundry service..
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Oceanbound222

Given that I get the impression that well over half the UK population did NOT support this action, it is a shame you take that view.

Back on topic, flying to/from the UK is neither unpleasant nor inconvenient so long as you don't go anywhere near LHR or LGW. There are plenty of other options.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The reason why we have to enforce the rules, as I probably didn't make clear, is that the D of T monitor BAA. They move around each terminal and snoop at the passengers to make sure they only have one bag when they go through the security machines. If there are "non compliant" passengers then the airport gets fined.
Cunning plan.

Everyone should do as I do which is to put laptop bag inside carry on for screening, then take out immediately after and walk around airside with 2 carry-ons. That way the DoT inspectors will see people leaving the scanning area with 2 bags and Bloody Awful Airports will get fined which is some small recompense for the hassle they've caused us.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:28 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by Oceanbound222
Once upon a time I loved going to London and loved the British.

Sorry, but there is a price to pay when you invade, occupy, and steal natural resources that do NOT belong to you, not to mention slaughter hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

So, who gives a hoot about the one-bag rule. I would not go to the UK if you could carry-on a sofa and chair.

Seriously, we're all too busy raping an pillaging the middle east to give a f*ck about whether or not you come to visit. Care to offer up your nationailty so I can some up with some stereotyped cliche about you which will amuse me and my mates while we're waiting to nick a few million barrels of oil from the Iraqis?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Seriously, we're all too busy raping an pillaging the middle east to give a f*ck about whether or not you come to visit. Care to offer up your nationailty so I can some up with some stereotyped cliche about you which will amuse me and my mates while we're waiting to nick a few million barrels of oil from the Iraqis?
Clearly, Oceanbound222 can not from anywhere in the Western hemisphere as there is not a single country there which was established by conquest and occupation. The same, of course, is true for Australia and New Zealand.

He is definitely not Israeli.

He is not Russian as that country still occupies land it took from Japan in WW II.

He can't be Italian -- it still holds the Alto Adige region (previously known as Sud Tirol) taken from Austia in WW I.

It is very doubtful that he lives in any nation with a long history of colonization -- so scratch out France, Spain, Holland, Belgium, Japan, Germany and Portugal.

China is not a possibility (remember Tibet.)

The list goes on and on -- but I figure he probably lives in either Andorra or San Marino.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:00 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
its the biggest deal

Given how polite and friendly the majority of the secuirty screening people are at LHR, or even say, LCY, I wouldn't mind flying out of LHR if not for the high departure tax - that is the major deterrent for me.

I would say that LHR personnel are so much more courteous than US TSA people anyday!
if you are travelling for business, you have a trolley and a laptop.

you cant checkin a laptop, if it gets lost you wont get compensation as electronic articles are not insured and the data loss etc etc.
you cant put the laptop into the trolley at least in my case as it is full with shoes and clothes.

i am just avoiding LHR , but i would have flown throug LHR some times if the 1pcs regulation was not in place.

i hope that the liquid ban and the 1 pcs regulation will be kicked soon by the EU as it is total stupidity.

dp
Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:09 am

Try this one on for size... in January a client from London was supposed to meet us in Frankfurt so when I got dresed in the morning I just wore a ladies suit with a round neck that buttons all the way up and nothing underneath other than my bra. However on my way to the airport (2 hour drive) my boss called to say WE would be FLYING to meet the client in London.... OK!!! I ran a quick check on ID (no problem since in germany you have to carry anyway) Had a small zip lock in my car for the makeup and everything else went into the big brief case I had anyway.

Getting too Heathrow wasn't a problem BUT the way out!!! The guy at the xray insisted I remove my suit jacket. As I started to unbutton I realized - heck I hadn't planned on flying today so I was not wearing an addtional top underneath..... which I pointed out to the guy. He still insited that if I didn't take off my jacket I would not be flying!! It was my lucky day my boss saw me and knew I was about to fly off the handle...... He got involved and had a supervisor handle the case. Once explained to her she had me patted down and we were on our way... Even she asked why I had not dressed apropreatly HELL I WAS NOT PLANNING ON FLYING TODAY AND ALREADY ON MY WAY TO THE AIRPORT WHEN PLANS WERE CHANGED!!!

The next time I will take of the blazer and see if they'll arrest me for indecent expose - be interesting to see the headlines after THAT!!!

LHR avoid it if you can like the plaque!!! and now it is even worse....
Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Premier, EK IO, Amex Centurion, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, IC Ambassador
I'm so much happier now....

...having read this forum! Hilarious. I have chuckled all the way through it. So thank you to the following members for their postings:

1. LHRGoon - I think you should be running the DoT
2. Linenbasket - great opening comment
3. CaptainSchmidt - awesome retort

Off to my board meeting now to tell the rest of the team to check this posting!

^ ^ ^

P.S. LHRGoon has to be the 'poster of the year'. You have my vote young Sir.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:06 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
If the number of bags are monitored airside Mr. Goon -

(i) Why do I see so many passengers with 2 or 3 bags?
(ii) Why did I see a family go through LGW last week - past the ICTS and security staff with three big bags, a handbag, diaper bag and stroller?
(iii) Why does BAA sell bags through its retail outlets?
(iv) What happens when you put two bags inside one bag and then take them out airside?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.