Why no wine in checked bags?

Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Why no wine in checked bags?

We hear so much about 3-1-1 that nearly everyone knows. What I did not know is that I could not have 2 bottles of wine in my checked baggage--in the US, that is. I had it with me from Sydney to L.A. but when I wanted to connect I was asked if there was wine in my checked bags. Is this a new thing? Was I being singled out?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
i have not had any problems checking wine in transferring from syd-hnl-lax-sfo-ord. all on qantas/AA flights. i didnt ahve any problems on United flights on the ord sector. In fact, my bag was never singled out for etd swap. you may encounter that tsa may wish to wipe the bottles and if they not keen to do it due to extra work, they may tell you its not allowed as checked baggage. the only problem is breakages.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
On Alaska Airlines, you are welcome to check wine as baggage. I highly recommend proper packaging...
Old Apr 20, 2007, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I suspect it was a customs question in the interests of collecting duty, not a security question.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by christep
I suspect it was a customs question in the interests of collecting duty, not a security question.
I don't think so. Customs agents in the states never care about a few bottles of wine. While you can bring 1 liter duty free, the paperwork to collect 20˘ or 30˘ duty for a half dozen bottles isn't worth their effort. I see reports of people who brought a dozen or two bottles from Italy or France in their checked bags, declared it, and customs just waived (perhaps I should say "waved") them through.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think it would help to know who was asking the OP about the wine and what rules they quoted (or maybe invented) to justify its confiscation. My guess: someone had planned a dinner party later that evening and forgot to stop at their local ABC Wine and Beer shop to pick up the correct vintage.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think it would help to know who was asking the OP about the wine and what rules they quoted (or maybe invented) to justify its confiscation. My guess: someone had planned a dinner party later that evening and forgot to stop at their local ABC Wine and Beer shop to pick up the correct vintage.
It was at the United counter, not a TSA rep.

I kept the bottles and rented a car since I was only a 2-hour drive from home.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 6:10 am

Programs: DL CO UA
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I don't think so. Customs agents in the states never care about a few bottles of wine. While you can bring 1 liter duty free, the paperwork to collect 20˘ or 30˘ duty for a half dozen bottles isn't worth their effort. I see reports of people who brought a dozen or two bottles from Italy or France in their checked bags, declared it, and customs just waived (perhaps I should say "waved") them through.
This is what I sometimes do when I come back from Germany.

I usually bring 2 pieces of luggage with me , my regular one and my roll aboard. Returning home I stuff the roll aboard with about 10 bottles of wine. I declare it all. Never had a problem with anyone. Customs asks me to open up the roll aboard, but thats about it.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 6:17 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
I flew with 3 bottles of wine securely wrapped in checked luggage on WN last month. I could tell TSA had gone through the bag, but they made it through.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Camino1
It was at the United counter, not a TSA rep.
Some airlines don't want the wine in checked luggage because they are afraid it will break and damage other peoples luggage, and they'll be liable..

See this FT thread where UA forced the OP to toss a $90 cabernet in the garbage. Write a letter of complaint to UA. Tell them that if they don't want your business, no problem, there are plenty of other airlines which will be glad to provide transport.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P
If this is a UA policy, its applied in a very inconsistent manner. I've checked through wine with UA before. That being said, improperly packed liquids are a nightmare for your fellow passengers - nothing like getting to a city for a business meeting early the next morning, only to find your clothes covered in booze - someone else's booze.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by dgolding
If this is a UA policy, its applied in a very inconsistent manner. I've checked through wine with UA before. That being said, improperly packed liquids are a nightmare for your fellow passengers - nothing like getting to a city for a business meeting early the next morning, only to find your clothes covered in booze - someone else's booze.
This is certainly not at TSA rule. I work in the beverage business and frequently travel with liquids in my checked luggage. Only a problem at times when you depart from Mexican airports...
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The airlines' biggest concerns is breakage. I started packing wine in molded Styrofoam boxes since the current liquid mess began. They are very durable and lightweight.

The biggest issue is that they are bulky and take up a lot of space in your luggage.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by wr_schwab
The airlines' biggest concerns is breakage. I started packing wine in molded Styrofoam boxes since the current liquid mess began. They are very durable and lightweight.

The biggest issue is that they are bulky and take up a lot of space in your luggage.
I carry bubble wrap in the outside pocket of my luggage at all times. It is lightweight and and works great for wrapping up a couple of bottles of wine (or any other liquid) before putting them inside my suitcase.

Give it a try! ^
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tealady
I carry bubble wrap in the outside pocket of my luggage at all times. It is lightweight and and works great for wrapping up a couple of bottles of wine (or any other liquid) before putting them inside my suitcase. Give it a try! ^
I have done this but dont anymore. It works fine if the TSA officers properly rewrap the bottle with the bubble wrap after they inspect the wine. Unfortunately they rarely do and often I have often found the bubble wrap in a wad in one side of my luggage and the bottles in the other side. I now put any wine in separate luggage. I have alled and emailed the TSA but it is useless as they dont appear to care.

MisterNice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.