Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA: Denpasar does not maintain and administer effective aviation security measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA: Denpasar does not maintain and administer effective aviation security measures

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA

http://www.bali-tourism-board.com/ba...=2005&lang=eng

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced that the Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali, Indonesia does not meet international security standards, and the department is taking action to warn travelers of this security deficiency. Based on an assessment by a team of security experts from TSA, the Department of Homeland Security has determined that the airport does not currently maintain security measures consistent with the standards established by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
In view of this finding, Homeland Security has directed air carriers issuing tickets for travel between the United States and Indonesia to notify ticket purchasers of the identity of this airport in accordance with this determination. Homeland Security also directed that the identity of this airport be displayed prominently at all U.S. airports and published in the Federal Register. The order is effective immediately.
TSA representatives have been in Indonesia to help airport authorities bring Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport up to international standards. The TSA representatives will continue to work with Indonesia and to assist local authorities with correcting security deficiencies...BLABLABLA

yeah, bring it up to TSA standards...

I had four consecutive SSSS searches in the U.S. flying AA First (which was like delayed last class! And no, I am not Mohammed al Zarkawi or his nephew or have a name related in any way.). I had plenty of time to read the DPS Warning sign over and over again while my bags were searched out of my sight by a bunch of mindless idiots. At least they didn't steal anything. F****** TSA, I hate the TSA so much.

(Usually I am more discerning in my choice of words, but it is not possible to utter the extent of the contempt I have for the TSA.)

I feel much safer and more comfortable at DPS than at in some PHL suburbs for that matter. Virginia Tech wasn't much better the day the freedom to carry a gun was exercised.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021701737.html

The TSA came through for me once again with a sign warning me that the "Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia does not maintain and administer effective aviation security measures."

I have to make a conscious effort to shut my brain off in an airport and on an airplane so that I don't think about the sheer volume of people before me who have used the same chairs, touched the same surfaces, and walked the same ground, with who knows what on their shoes.

Rant over. Hopefully soon off to DPS where the IC driver will wait for me.

Best regards from dirty and dangerous Philly!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This isn't related to SQ so moving to Travel Safety / Security.

Kiwi Flyer
SQ moderator
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You liking or disliking TSA procedures doesn't have any impact on whether DPS security is up to international standards, so I don't see the relevance.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced that the Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali, Indonesia does not meet international security standards
So what?

Neither does the TSA with their ...-clown-mandated "security" theater.

It's really funny when some incompetent agency tries to claim that another is incompetent.

Screw you, Kippie.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Based on an assessment by a team of security experts from TSA, the Department of Homeland Security has determined that the airport does not currently maintain security measures consistent with the standards established by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).

Quite the contradiction in terms.

Last edited by tazi; Apr 19, 2007 at 9:25 am
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:43 am

Why doesn't the TSA try to figure out how to administer effective aviation security measures within the US before they try to "help" airports abroad?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
So what?

Neither does the TSA with their ...-clown-mandated "security" theater.

It's really funny when some incompetent agency tries to claim that another is incompetent.

Screw you, Kippie.
If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black ...
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Originally Posted by DL4EVR
Why doesn't the TSA try to figure out how to administer effective aviation security measures within the US before they try to "help" airports abroad?
That's what I thought was funny as well.

Effective means not harassing people and not creating long queues and keeping airtravel safe.

I only posted the above as I had read it too often while being subject to my special security search.

Different TSA agents ordered me to do different (read: mutually exclusive) things at the same time like keep your boarding pass and then the other wants to grab it, all on x-ray belt and then I had to hold onto passport, etc. all confusing and then they shouted at me. stand/sit here / there

Twice my computer case was searched out of sight and I had no control over the cash/credit cards in the bag and in my wallet.

I personally did not feel unsafe at DPS when I was there twice last year!
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
I've seen that sign as well. I'm not sure why it's really neccesary info. Anyone who boards a flight in DPS will have been re-screened elsewhere by the time they eventually board a flight departing a U-S airport. So, the sign is basically a general piece of information, for the handful of people on any given day who will eventually find themselves in DPS.

I wonder how much it costs to place those signs in airports across the U-S. Even if the info is accurate, it seems like it would be more appropriate to place that kind of info on the TSA website or along with the State Department travel warnings for a particular location.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Totally agree regarding the cost, because there are few who fly from the domestic AA Terminal at a local airport in the U.S. to DPS.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once again, I'll point out that whether you like the way the TSA does things or not, it doesn't mean that it cannot evaluate how other airports do them. My handwriting isn't very good, but I can still do a good job evaluating that of others.

Also, this was a practice started by the FAA, which didn't even do the domestic screening at the time, but nobody complained about it back then.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Doppy
Once again, I'll point out that whether you like the way the TSA does things or not, it doesn't mean that it cannot evaluate how other airports do them. My handwriting isn't very good, but I can still do a good job evaluating that of others.

Also, this was a practice started by the FAA, which didn't even do the domestic screening at the time, but nobody complained about it back then.
and they do such a good job with their evaluation that they fail their own agency on a very regular basis when completing such tests but don't warn us not to visit those locations pot ... kettle ... black
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
and they do such a good job with their evaluation that they fail their own agency on a very regular basis when completing such tests but don't warn us not to visit those locations pot ... kettle ... black
That still doesn't mean that TSA's judgment on DPS is wrong.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Doppy
That still doesn't mean that TSA's judgment on DPS is wrong.
doesn't indicate it'd be right either
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:58 pm

Flamboyant 1 - "Based on an assessment by a team of security experts from TSA, the Department of Homeland Security has determined that the airport does not currently maintain security measures consistent with the standards established by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)."

Having personally observed and experienced, on several ocassions, TSA/DHS's interpretation of the standards established by the ICAO, this above quoted statement suggests that the security in place was exemplary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.