Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA: Denpasar does not maintain and administer effective aviation security measures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA: Denpasar does not maintain and administer effective aviation security measures

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I've seen that sign as well. I'm not sure why it's really neccesary info.
It is necessary so in case there is a security incident related to DPS the nimrods at the TSA can say "see, we told you so" and get the rest of the world to follow their disingenuous "screw the public" plans.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:17 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Doppy
That still doesn't mean that TSA's judgment on DPS is wrong.
Would you go to a mechanic whose own car didn't work?

(not that we have a choice...)
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:47 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced that the Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport in Bali, Indonesia does not meet international security standards, and the department is taking action to warn travelers of this security deficiency.
Based on an assessment by a team of security experts from TSA,

TSA representatives have been in Indonesia to help airport authorities bring Bandara Ngurah Rai International Airport up to international standards. The TSA representatives will continue to work with Indonesia and to assist local authorities with correcting security deficiencies...

I can see it already.
A bunch of TSA blowhards decided to take a junket to Bali on the taxpayers dime, probably in the middle of winter in the Northeastern US.

They probably spent all of 20 minutes in the airport, most of that trying to figure out the signs pointing them toward the restrooms, and the other 6 days on a beach somewhere drinking booze.

Then they give a failing grade to the airport and promise periodic "follow-up" assistance visits until this place passes.

Sheesh, what a racket.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:52 pm

Programs: CO plat, BR gold, SPG gold
For the record, DPS seemed to have fairly decent security last time I was through there. You must be a ticketed passenger, have all your bags x-rayd and pass throug a WTMD simply to enter the check in area. Then there is a second more thorough screening with another x-ray and second pass through a WTMD to go to the gates. I saw bomb sniffing dogs around and security was evident and seemed to be vigalent to me.

Why the warning for Bali? Indonesia seems to have reacted and appropratly steped up security there. While at SUB and BTH I have seen crowds of people set off the WTMD as all their bags went through the x-ray while the flunkies operating the sceen werent even looking at the screen or stoping anyone who set off the WTMD. Security is a joke at many airports in Indonesia but DPS seems fine to me.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
I can see it already.
A bunch of TSA blowhards decided to take a junket to Bali on the taxpayers dime, probably in the middle of winter in the Northeastern US.

They probably spent all of 20 minutes in the airport, most of that trying to figure out the signs pointing them toward the restrooms, and the other 6 days on a beach somewhere drinking booze.

Then they give a failing grade to the airport and promise periodic "follow-up" assistance visits until this place passes.

Sheesh, what a racket.
Indeed.

I wonder whether and then what sort of assistance DPS asked for in the first place? If this inspection was contingent upon continued freedom rights between Indonesia and the U.S. it's a real rock/hard place for DPS. But if not, then this is some kind of taypayer-funded hegemony.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by USDHS1984
For the record, DPS seemed to have fairly decent security last time I was through there. You must be a ticketed passenger, have all your bags x-rayd and pass throug a WTMD simply to enter the check in area. Then there is a second more thorough screening with another x-ray and second pass through a WTMD to go to the gates. I saw bomb sniffing dogs around and security was evident and seemed to be vigalent to me.

Why the warning for Bali? Indonesia seems to have reacted and appropratly steped up security there. While at SUB and BTH I have seen crowds of people set off the WTMD as all their bags went through the x-ray while the flunkies operating the sceen werent even looking at the screen or stoping anyone who set off the WTMD. Security is a joke at many airports in Indonesia but DPS seems fine to me.
I've been there 3 times in the last year and I agree. So does a colleague who lives there. The do security much BETTER than the TSA.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:27 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
This is yet another example of the US Adminstration ticking off the rest of the world with their Garbage about how wonderful they are and how bad every body else handles their internal arrnagements.

Now my home/main US Airport is Far More secure than Denpasar I am told.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

When will the USA realise that they should clean up their own back yard before pontificating about other countries.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
That doesn't surprise me. The last time I flew into Denpasar, I had to ask to have my bags checked. The fellow laughed and waved a wand around it.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
When will the USA realise that they should clean up their own back yard before pontificating about other countries.
USDHS1984 & Stimpy, I was in Bali twice in the last 9 months as well and encountered the diligent security described above. Felt perfectly safe, which I did not when the TSA removed my hand luggage for special search (theft, putting not-permitted things in it...luckily didn't happen, but could)while I had to sit in the SSSS chair.

DPS is safer than e.g. George, South Africa, where I didn't have my handluggage scanned at all last year, guess the TSA didn't evaluate it yet as it is not a destination as nice as DPS unless you play golf at Fancourt.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
USDHS1984 & Stimpy, I was in Bali twice in the last 9 months as well and encountered the diligent security described above. Felt perfectly safe, which I did not when the TSA removed my hand luggage for special search (theft, putting not-permitted things in it...luckily didn't happen, but could)while I had to sit in the SSSS chair.
For the record - You didn't have to sit in the chair when they went through your stuff - you could've told them to wait until after the wanding cr*p is done and then closely observe their handling of personal belongings. They don't like it much, but you definitely have the right to make them wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.