Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tide detergent sticks a no-no for carry-ons?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE
Carry a spare baggie - it's a good thing

Originally Posted by avanpelt
I'll remember to keep a ziplock in my laptop case expressly for this reason from now on...

That's exactly what I do. Sometimes I want something in my carry-on that I had not planned to take on the way out. With a spare baggie, I'm always prepared. And if anything is questioned, it can go in the baggie.

Having said that, I fly with the Tide stick thingy every week and haven't had it questioned yet. I also have hand cream in my purse every week, and it's never once been found or questioned.

drsusan
Old Mar 24, 2007, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Talking Give it up with a smile

Originally Posted by avanpelt
OK, well, now the consensus seems to be that they're allowed to be outside of the ziplocks. I think I'm going to press my luck and buy another one without putting it in a ziplock. If it happens to me again (outside of Toronto), shame on me. I think she just wanted the stick, personally. After all, I've cleared security four times in Canada in the past two weeks (twice at YUL and twice at YYZ) and only the last time at YYZ was there an issue with it. I've cleared security in the U.S. and Puerto Rico at least 20 times since putting the stick in my carry-on and I never had a single issue. I do get the occasional unopened bottle of water from Hilton that I quickly put in my bag and forgot to drink confiscated, though.
Carry two sticks; hide one, keep the other out of the baggie and if they ask you to give it up, say something to the effect of "Oh, I brought this one just for you because I knew you needed it more than I do.",

Last edited by doober; Mar 24, 2007 at 5:18 pm
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
A Tide stick is one thing I haven't lost to the TSA. I don't put them in my baggie, but just toss them into a corner of my bag. The Shout wipes don't work as well as the Tide Stick does.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I don't work for a company that makes those kind of baggies

I just figured it's easier to put the tide stick in than risk losing it.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Being a somewhat unkempt male, I am not familiar with these things. Is the casing metal or plastic ? If plastic then simply put it in your pocket.

Oh, silly me; women don't have pockets, do they ?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Being a somewhat unkempt male, I am not familiar with these things. Is the casing metal or plastic ? If plastic then simply put it in your pocket.

Oh, silly me; women don't have pockets, do they ?
But, that solution would work for me since I'm a guy and the container is plastic. Another good idea. Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 6:56 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I had this happen to me yesterday. I always carry one of these with me in my purse. Have NEVER been stopped before. Flew SEA-GEG in the AM - nothing. Returned in the PM with the SAME EXACT purse, same exact contents as the AM - nothing was added or deleted. Stopped in GEG and searched. Then had to listen to the "lecture." (I swear it's just because all three of the agents were just bored). At the end the gentleman said, "well because I'm nice I'm going to let you keep it THIS time. . ."

Sheesh. . talk about NO CONSISTENCY!!!! No wonder half the time none of us know what's right/wrong.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by ldsant
I had this happen to me yesterday. I always carry one of these with me in my purse. Have NEVER been stopped before. Flew SEA-GEG in the AM - nothing. Returned in the PM with the SAME EXACT purse, same exact contents as the AM - nothing was added or deleted. Stopped in GEG and searched. Then had to listen to the "lecture." (I swear it's just because all three of the agents were just bored). At the end the gentleman said, "well because I'm nice I'm going to let you keep it THIS time. . ."

Sheesh. . talk about NO CONSISTENCY!!!! No wonder half the time none of us know what's right/wrong.
Isn't that the truth. I think the Tide pens are all plastic. I carry several pens and other markers; so just toss my Tide pen in my bag with those.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by doober
Carry two sticks; hide one, keep the other out of the baggie and if they ask you to give it up, say something to the effect of "Oh, I brought this one just for you because I knew you needed it more than I do.",
did you steal this idea from clint eastwood (i think that is the actor?) who used this tactic to sneak a razor through the metal detector at the exit of the shop class in "escape from alcatraz." says something doesn't it?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just flew ex-DCA & the guy in front of me had his Tide stick confiscated (it was in the baggie). Upon asking for an explanation, he was told that the chemical ingredients "aren't consistent with current security procedrures" - whatever that means. I suggested he file a complaint - but he said it wasn't worth the time & energy.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I have no idea what a "tide detergent stick" is, but I demand to be able to carry one on-board an aircraft!
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan
My baggie was getting full so I put my mascara in my pencil case with my other pens. Haven't been stopped once about that. I'll put some duct tape around my Tide-to-go and toss it in with the pens as well. After a year of reading about Tide-to-go as a travel essential I bought my first last month for use at my dd's wedding. It was a wonderful thing to have on hand and I'm sold.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
The peroxide in those pens is at a significantly lower concentration than the "liquid explosives" grade.
I just toss mine in my laptop bag along with several other pens.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Technically, that's correct. However, after a couple of incidents where I was lectured by overzealous TSA screeners that it MUST go in the baggie, I've taken to just putting it in the baggie.
Yes, not every TSA screener gets the memo and even if they did they are pretty much allowed to make up the rules as they want. Back in January SFO agents made us empty all electronics and wires out of our bags. Later they were called a "rogue" office. It doesn't matter that they completely botched up the security line and even at 5am it was a nightmare to get through. I was just happy I didn't lose anything in that debacle. Though I am missing a USB cable I swore I had...
Old Aug 20, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by aspex
Though I am missing a USB cable I swore I had...
Maybe a rogue screener took it to hook up the virtual-strip-search machine to his flash drive...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.