Just found a knife on my plane

Old Mar 21, 07, 1:43 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Let this be a lesson to everyone:

Don't turn in knives! Keep them or throw them away!!
A BIG agree +1
Old Mar 21, 07, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
What about cutting yourself with it and then sueing the airline? I think that is another option...
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:01 pm
Suspended

I am sure there are other possibilities.

You could have had a perfectly good box cutter but instead you lost it and also possibly subjected yourself and your fellow passengers to unnecessary harassment.

A knife is not a credible threat. Knives should be ignored and even permitted as they were 6 years ago before the world lost its collective mind.
Unbelievable. Utterly unbelievable.
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by blueeyes_austin View Post
Why?
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really?

Do you think that one person with a knife is going to be able to take over an airplane?
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:11 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I am sure there are other possibilities.

You could have had a perfectly good box cutter but instead you lost it and also possibly subjected yourself and your fellow passengers to unnecessary harassment.

A knife is not a credible threat. Knives should be ignored and even permitted as they were 6 years ago before the world lost its collective mind.
I agree with Spiff 100% on this.......
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
How is someone going to take control of and hijack an airliner in the USA in 2007 using a knife? That's just not a practical. Someone can use a knife to do passengers and crew harm, but their chance of using it get control of the plane is right around nil.

We need to stop living the shadow of past events and concentrate on figuring out where the next credible threat is coming from and how to counter it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we allow knives onboard with passengers, but they are not worth going crazy about - especially to the extend the TSA and FAMs showed excessive and unnecessary interest in the OP after he turned over what he found - while totally ignoring the risk presented by how the knife got there in the first place.

No wonder we're no safer in 2007 than we were in 2001.
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Actually, Spiff IS suggesting that we let knives onboard with pax:

"A knife is not a credible threat. Knives should be ignored and even permitted as they were 6 years ago before the world lost its collective mind."

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 07 at 4:50 pm Reason: Edited for derogatory reference to another FTer
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:23 pm

Actually, Spiff IS suggesting that we let knives onboard with pax:

"A knife is not a credible threat. Knives should be ignored and even permitted as they were 6 years ago before the world lost its collective mind."
Hey, your spell checker is still on the fritz.

Yes, that is quite correct.

Knives are not credible threats to aircraft. Screening for and reacting to knives is a tremendously wasteful use of so-called "security" resources and harassment of passengers.

Knives should be allowed.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 07 at 4:51 pm Reason: Derogatory reference removed from previously corrected quote
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Hey, your spell checker is still on the fritz.

Yes, that is quite correct.

Knives are not credible threats to aircraft. Screening for and reacting to knives is a tremendously wasteful use of so-called "security" resources and harassment of passengers.

Knives should be allowed.
Yeah, I'm sure that, say, a dozen men armed with eight inch knives would pose absolutely no danger to the passengers and crew of a jetliner.
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Knives are still permitted on planes in a great number of places and even where knives are not permitted they still get onto planes rather regularly. I have my doubts that DHS/TSA is anywhere close to 100% effective.
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Knives are still permitted on planes in a great number of places and even where knives are not permitted they still get onto planes rather regularly. I have my doubts that DHS/TSA is anywhere close to 100% effective.
And what if your stereotypical "Irish Catholic nuns in their habits" were armed?

http://tinyurl.com/bv7fx
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
And I saw an AK-47 run through an X-Ray machine in PNG. Big deal and has no relevance to the discussion of security measures in the US and Europe.

As far as requiring 100 percent effectivness...it is a common misunderstanding that a security measure needs to be 100 percent successful to be effective. This is not the case. As long as the measure is publicized and has a non-zero chance of success, planners of terrorist acts need to plan for detection, and this chance increases as the number of participants and checks increases. Even if we have a, say, sincle security measure with a 25 percent chance of detecting something, the chance for, say, four terrorists to all successfully pass through the check is only 31 percent. Current screening, whatever its flaws, is significantly better than 25 percent effective.

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 07 at 4:52 pm Reason: Derogatory attack on another FTer removed
Old Mar 21, 07, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I'm sure that, say, a dozen men armed with eight inch knives would pose absolutely no danger to the passengers and crew of a jetliner.
Kip Hawley already deems those dozen men with their multiple bottles each among them of 3.4oz of liquid to not be a danger. Of course, they would never mix their liquids together to create something bad, would they?
Old Mar 21, 07, 4:07 pm

That plane still isn't getting hijacked and killing the passengers/crew is as easy with knives as without.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: