FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Using a Costco card as valid ID (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/669197-using-costco-card-valid-id.html)

whirledtraveler Mar 9, 2007 6:19 am

Using a Costco card as valid ID

http://www.lookingglassnews.org/prin...p?storyid=7040

As a die-hard Constitutionalist, I believe that we still have an absolute, unfettered, God-given right to travel from point A to point B without permission from the state -- in the air, as well as on land. This Nazi procedure of "your papers, please" has never been appropriate for our country. I have had occasion to travel a good deal in the last several months, and on those trips I decided to research and test this issue about the necessity for producing identification. I have talked with agents, and their supervisors, of several major airlines in cities across America, and have gradually pieced together a rather complete picture of the real legal situation regarding our right to travel.

Next, I tested this finding with several airlines. When asked for identification, I produced only my Sam's Club card, or my travel agent's ID card, or a Costco card. These are all picture ID's, but they are privately issued, and do not even have a signature on them. The airline agents just freaked out, and demanded to see some state-issued ID. They routinely told me that "it was federal law!" The government absolutely required me to cough up an "official" ID card, without which the agent couldn't even THINK of letting me on the plane.

I told the agents that I could not find any federal regulation mandating that type of identification, and then asked them to cure my ignorance and please cite the regulation. Now, at this point, individual airline agents have reacted differently. Some called in their supervisor. Alaska Air employees were the most gracious; Northwest agents were the worst -- they were rude, belligerent and hostile brats. But they all folded, every time. A particularly nasty Northwest employee marched me all the way back to the electronic detection equipment, made me pass through it a second time, and had the guard thoroughly search my carry-on bag. The same airline agent-from-hell actually made rude and demeaning remarks to me as we trudged back to the counter -- and then she let me on the plane.

Global_Hi_Flyer Mar 9, 2007 7:11 am

What's funny about this is the following story:

When I got my DL in Texas a few years ago, the drivers license bureau (run by the Department of Public Safety) confiscated my old Ohio picture license and issued me a "reciept" to serve as a "temporary" license until they got around to mailing the official picture TX license to me. You can't get one on-the-spot.

I looked at the clerk and asked how long it would take. Up to a month, came the reply. I looked at her and asked if there was an expedited process as I travel all the time and the airlines & security folks demand picture ID (not letting on that I had a passport). In all seriousness (and confirmed by a badge-wearing supervisor) she replied: "You can use your Sam's Club card, all the airports will accept that, I can assure you".

Idiocy is not limited to the Federal level.

TierFlyer Mar 9, 2007 12:01 pm

Cool, glad to hear that he can bring some extra misery to low-paid counter employees in airports all over the world.

That makes travel so much nicer for the rest of us, really it does.

GUWonder Mar 9, 2007 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by TierFlyer (Post 7372646)
Cool, glad to hear that he can bring some extra misery to low-paid counter employees in airports all over the world.

A lot of countries don't required government-issued photo ID to travel domestically. Long may it stay that way and may we find our national way back to common sense that recognized passenger ID is not security.

Flaflyer Mar 9, 2007 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer (Post 7370627)
In all seriousness (and confirmed by a badge-wearing supervisor) she replied: "You can use your Sam's Club card, all the airports will accept that, I can assure you".

It is my understanding that it has to be a government issued ID. I believe we have to wait until around 2013, when the net worth of Walmart is greater than the US, China, and 27 other countries combined. Then Walmart will declare itself a nation, take over the UN, and your Sams Club card will become a government issued ID card. :D

Yaatri Mar 9, 2007 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by TierFlyer (Post 7372646)

Who says you have a right to travel hastle free? :D

mkt Mar 9, 2007 12:46 pm

I'm using my Library of Congress Readers Card :)

It has my photo, my name, and it's issued by the federal government. It's never failed me.

FliesWay2Much Mar 9, 2007 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer (Post 7372743)
It is my understanding that it has to be a government issued ID. I believe we have to wait until around 2013, when the net worth of Walmart is greater than the US, China, and 27 other countries combined. Then Walmart will declare itself a nation, take over the UN, and your Sams Club card will become a government issued ID card. :D

Heck -- the Sam's Club card will become a passport! :)

mirage1228 Mar 9, 2007 7:56 pm

I like to use my FL issued firearms concealed carry permit card, especially at places like SFO :p

TierFlyer Mar 9, 2007 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 7372893)

And that is a d*mn good point.

Luckily I can still travel after waiting in the bar. Favorite line heard from a grizzled veteran NY/BOS commuter: I'm not flying the plane today, gimmie another.

TierFlyer Mar 9, 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 7372677)
... may we find our national way back to common sense that recognized passenger ID is not security.

That would be well back before people were hijacking planes to Cuba, right?

Superguy Mar 9, 2007 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 7372893)

Definitely not TSA. :(

mkt Mar 9, 2007 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by mirage1228 (Post 7375356)
I like to use my FL issued firearms concealed carry permit card, especially at places like SFO :p

Oh geez... I really need to hurry up and take the courses... that would be a fun card to add to the collection of various Drivers Licenses and random Government nonsense.

lili Mar 9, 2007 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by mkt (Post 7372982)
I'm using my Library of Congress Readers Card :)

It has my photo, my name, and it's issued by the federal government. It's never failed me.

And it has the ever-important expiration date. I have one also, but since I'm licensed to drive, I use my driver's license.

It's part of my personal plastic-card carrying reduction act. The California Highway Patrol and local police won't accept the Library of Congress card, but the TSA will accept the driver's license. Ergo, license trumps Reader's card.

However, I will be renewing the LOC card Friday after the Freddies :) just in case the Greens take over the world and the TSA hires folk who can read. You gotta keep your options open.

mkt Mar 9, 2007 11:26 pm

I collect them :)

I'm most interested in getting a Mexican Matricular Consular.. lol