Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are minors exempt from the back-scatter x-ray?

Are minors exempt from the back-scatter x-ray?

Old Mar 5, 07, 2:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In the home of the "brave"?
Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Posts: 3,748
Question Are minors exempt from the back-scatter x-ray?

Of course no parent should allow a child to receive the high dose of harmful radiation while still growing, but if a minor (under the age of consent) was to pose for the CCTV strip search, wouldn't the TSA "officer" have to be immediately arrested for viewing and posessing kiddie porn??
HeHateY is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 9:59 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Colorado
Programs: TSA
Posts: 2,745
The person viewing the image cannot see any of the sexual parts of the body, right now the process is voluntary if you dont want it you dont have to have it and it will probably remain that way and finally, there is the issue of intent. So in a nutshell no charges are able to be brought.
eyecue is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 10:00 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BNA
Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Posts: 6,932
The radiation exposure is comparable to what you recieve in two minutes of flying at 30,000'. If that's too much radiation then the child shouldn't be allowed on the airplane where they will receive a much higher dose.
LarryJ is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 10:19 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 35,931
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
The radiation exposure is comparable to what you recieve in two minutes of flying at 30,000'. If that's too much radiation then the child shouldn't be allowed on the airplane where they will receive a much higher dose.
The dosage counts are speculation - the only viable source for this information is Sandia Nat'l Labs, which is certainly not going to be a trustworthy unbiased source of information for something like this.

Use the backscatter if you want. More power to you. I certainly won't be going anywhere near it.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 10:21 am
  #5  
cpx
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 99654
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,448
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Use the backscatter if you want. More power to you. I certainly won't be going anywhere near it.
I don't plan to get anywhere near it either.
cpx is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 10:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: BDL
Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Posts: 5,351
Originally Posted by eyecue View Post
The person viewing the image cannot see any of the sexual parts of the body, right now the process is voluntary if you dont want it you dont have to have it and it will probably remain that way and finally, there is the issue of intent. So in a nutshell no charges are able to be brought.
So was shoe removal.
MKEbound is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 10:50 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 430
Originally Posted by MKEbound View Post
So was shoe removal.
Them: Sir, we highly suggest you go through the back-scatter.

Me: Thanks, I'll pass?

Them: Sir you can't get into the terminal without going through the backscatter. But you don't have to, we just highly suggest it.

Me: What? I'm confused. So I do have to.

Them: No you do not. And by no we mean yes.
Travellin' Fool is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 11:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arizona
Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Posts: 2,420
Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool View Post
Them: No you do not. And by no we mean yes.
^
Sad if it wasn't true!
jonesing is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 12:07 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 59,692
Originally Posted by jonesing View Post
^
Sad if it wasn't true!
The other way it could go:

Me: So, wait, is it voluntary or not?
Them: It's voluntary in that you can choose whether or not to fly today.

exerda is online now  
Old Mar 5, 07, 12:30 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: IAH
Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Posts: 1,204
How did I know that this thread was going to go down this path...
osxanalyst is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 12:45 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 728
Originally Posted by eyecue View Post
right now the process is voluntary if you dont want it you dont have to have it
Speaking of voluntary... It would be interesting to see what would happen if the TSA allowed airlines the choice of whether or not to make their passengers go through TSA screening stations. (For example, in screening areas that led to gates managed by only one airline.)

Of course, the TSA would never allow this because they know one airline would eventually take advantage of the TSA's going voluntary and tell the TSA to get lost altogether. They'd replace them with some much milder screening process, or, none at all, and see their business go up significantly as they are able to lower ticket prices by the amount they are forced to pay the TSA. Other airlines would follow then follow suit, and the TSA ponzi scheme would be exposed.

The back-scatter might be voluntary now (if that's even true), but it won't be for long. The TSA cannot allow any voluntary. Voluntary is a serious threat to its power and therefore, more importantly, revenue stream.
Texas_Dawg is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 1:45 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UAE
Programs: Marriott LTP, IHG Spire
Posts: 1,115
Unaccompanied minors do not get to choose, they get the patdown.

Minors travelling with parents get the parents choice.
rebadc is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 1:58 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,952
Originally Posted by rebadc View Post
Unaccompanied minors do not get to choose, they get the patdown.

Minors travelling with parents get the parents choice.
Which says what about the backscatter?
doober is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 2:11 pm
  #14  
LAY
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 15
Voluntary

As a side (by not much) note, upon taking the Oath for Naturalization, the folks are told (there used to be a pamphlet) that the US Taxation System is voluntary. Which is true, you can pay or go to jail, so there!
LAY is offline  
Old Mar 5, 07, 2:30 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Colorado
Programs: TSA
Posts: 2,745
Originally Posted by Texas_Dawg View Post
Speaking of voluntary... It would be interesting to see what would happen if the TSA allowed airlines the choice of whether or not to make their passengers go through TSA screening stations. (For example, in screening areas that led to gates managed by only one airline.)

Of course, the TSA would never allow this because they know one airline would eventually take advantage of the TSA's going voluntary and tell the TSA to get lost altogether. They'd replace them with some much milder screening process, or, none at all, and see their business go up significantly as they are able to lower ticket prices by the amount they are forced to pay the TSA. Other airlines would follow then follow suit, and the TSA ponzi scheme would be exposed.

The back-scatter might be voluntary now (if that's even true), but it won't be for long. The TSA cannot allow any voluntary. Voluntary is a serious threat to its power and therefore, more importantly, revenue stream.
You are sadly mistaken. The walkthrough metal detector is voluntary. You can opt for a full pat down instead. Right now the backscatter is very expensive to get. The reason that Phoenix has it is because of the connections that the FSD has in Washington. They are more expensive than the puffer. You only go through the backscatter there if you ring the walkthrough metal detector and want to be x-rayed. Otherwise it is the standard secondary screening process. BTW the backscatter can not see what is in shoes.
eyecue is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: