Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Are minors exempt from the back-scatter x-ray?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are minors exempt from the back-scatter x-ray?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Originally Posted by eyecue
You are sadly mistaken. The walkthrough metal detector is voluntary. You can opt for a full pat down instead. Right now the backscatter is very expensive to get. The reason that Phoenix has it is because of the connections that the FSD has in Washington. They are more expensive than the puffer. You only go through the backscatter there if you ring the walkthrough metal detector and want to be x-rayed. Otherwise it is the standard secondary screening process. BTW the backscatter can not see what is in shoes.
So let me get this straight, you can elect not to go through the metal detector but you are required to remove your shoes? What kind of idiocy is this?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
You are sadly mistaken. The walkthrough metal detector is voluntary. You can opt for a full pat down instead. Right now the backscatter is very expensive to get. The reason that Phoenix has it is because of the connections that the FSD has in Washington. They are more expensive than the puffer. You only go through the backscatter there if you ring the walkthrough metal detector and want to be x-rayed. Otherwise it is the standard secondary screening process. BTW the backscatter can not see what is in shoes.
Great so our choices are the TSA seeing us almost nekkid or giving us a grope and massage. Wonderful choices.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
The person viewing the image cannot see any of the sexual parts of the body, right now the process is voluntary if you dont want it you dont have to have it and it will probably remain that way and finally, there is the issue of intent. So in a nutshell no charges are able to be brought.
Um, "intent" is not always a valid defense. As for not seeing any "sexual parts of the body", why are the gender of the images shown on the tsa website identified?

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/screen...ckscatter.shtm

I can see "sexual parts of the body" on the male picture and even on the female; certainly more than I'd be comfortable having shown off in an airport.

DO NOT FORGET that the computer SEES and CAN RECORD the "raw" image:

http://www.freedomisslavery.info/images/backscatter.jpg
http://newkai.com/mt/archives/images...tter-thumb.jpg

Even while DISPLAYING the "filtered" version:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...EIq_ou8Rf3ow--

So how long until your nekkid childrens are up on the YouTube, Citizen??

P.S. Seems to me that the raw image is subject the FOIA. Why Not?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
Sorry for my ignorance, but is the low resolution stick-like figure what is actually displayed on the monitor for the TSO?

I had so planned a prosthetic type enhancement for my next flight through PHX to entertain all as I volunteered for this, and it looks like my (minimal)efforts might be for naught.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by doober
Which says what about the backscatter?
This part gets me too.

I would rather have my minor child x-rayed than groped by a same sex TSO.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:51 pm

You are sadly mistaken. The walkthrough metal detector is voluntary. You can opt for a full pat down instead.
How am I mistaken? Where did I say that this isn't the case?

I was just suggesting a hypothetical so as to explain why the TSA would never allow airport security to be truly voluntary. I never said the metal detector isn't "voluntary" (using the government's typically loaded definition of "voluntary", of course)... because I really don't care as long as the TSA is operating it.

A mugger points a loaded gun at the man and demands that he hand over his money. The man hands over his money. Does he do so voluntarily?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:15 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Texas_Dawg
A mugger points a loaded gun at the man and demands that he hand over his money. The man hands over his money. Does he do so voluntarily?
That is exactly one of my problems with the TSA. Pre-8/10/06, I was told on a couple of occasions I had to remove my shoes, even when I explained I would accept a secondary screening. Nope, shoes had to come off if I wanted to pass through the WTMD and if I "wanted to fly today."

eyecue may be right in terms of official policy--the WTMD may not be required; I can't say as I don't read the SSI policy handed down by the morons in Crystal City--but where he's wrong is that the front-line TSO's (and their supervisors) often decide what "policy" is and then hide behind the claim of SSI to justify their blatant lies regarding the real policies, offering pax the sort of one-answer ultimatum you describe in the form of "Do you want to fly today?"
Old Mar 5, 2007, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
That is exactly one of my problems with the TSA.
The TSA is no different than the rest of the government in that though. It's just a little stupider and a little more obvious about it. But then, 9/11 changed everything®, so they can be... for now.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:34 pm

I believe you're all missing the point: TSA wants only dignified and respectful backscatter images. If a person is to be considered a minor, only one dozen or fewer pubic hairs must be visible in any image.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Time to close this thread........
Old Mar 6, 2007, 8:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rebadc
No.

Originally Posted by exerda
eyecue may be right in terms of official policy--the WTMD may not be required; I can't say as I don't read the SSI policy handed down by the morons in Crystal City--but where he's wrong is that the front-line TSO's (and their supervisors) often decide what "policy" is and then hide behind the claim of SSI to justify their blatant lies regarding the real policies, offering pax the sort of one-answer ultimatum you describe in the form of "Do you want to fly today?"
Pacemaker-related concerns lead the TSA to put up signs (sometimes mostly out of sight) that the security procedures are adjusted for those with such devices.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by rebadc
Why? Do you think it's OK for TSA to do virtual strip searches of people just to get on a plane?
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:02 pm
Oxb

Programs: Earthling, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by HeHateY
Um, "intent" is not always a valid defense. As for not seeing any "sexual parts of the body", why are the gender of the images shown on the tsa website identified?

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/screen...ckscatter.shtm

I can see "sexual parts of the body" on the male picture and even on the female; certainly more than I'd be comfortable having shown off in an airport.

DO NOT FORGET that the computer SEES and CAN RECORD the "raw" image:

http://www.freedomisslavery.info/images/backscatter.jpg
http://newkai.com/mt/archives/images...tter-thumb.jpg

Even while DISPLAYING the "filtered" version:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/2...EIq_ou8Rf3ow--

So how long until your nekkid childrens are up on the YouTube, Citizen??

P.S. Seems to me that the raw image is subject the FOIA. Why Not?

What kind of mutants are they using for examples in that first link? It seems that the female image has two navels.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
In keeping with the "TSA Conversations" thread, wonder how long it will be before we hear comments about "that's really a man" or "that's not a woman" after a backscatter examination.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
In keeping with the "TSA Conversations" thread, wonder how long it will be before we hear comments about "that's really a man" or "that's not a woman" after a backscatter examination.
We already have TSA and other airport/aviation security wannabes who are unable to tell men apart from women.

TSA: "Sir, can you step this way"
Pax: "I'm not a man."
TSA: "Sorry, sir, can you step that way please."

Airline employee: "You can't fly today."
Pax: "Why?"
Airline: "You are on the no-fly list."

FBI: "Sorry, we're looking for a man on a terrorism watch list."
Pax: "Well, I'm a woman. Did you see the Mrs. on my ticket? Do you want me to take off my pants? This is just sick."
FBI: "Give me a call if you have any other future trouble with the airlines and thanks for your cooperation."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.