Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

What is the news value of an idiotic security quote ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:24 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program

There was a news story (one of many) discussing the new requirement that you must have a passport to re-enter the US from Mexico, Canada and the Carribean.

As usual, they mananged to find an idiotic quote: "I'd rather be going through a security check, than possibly being blown out of the air because of lack of security measures," said John Golden of Columbus, Ga., who was headed to Cancun, Mexico.

NOTE TO UNDERSTAND MY COMPLAINT: While the airline might request the passport to confirm you have the necessary travel documents, the real "check" of the passport is done when you get off the return airplane trip. So it has *nothing* to do with being "blown out of the air."

What is the news value of this idiotic quote?
Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
....being blown out of the air....
That's all the news directors saw, and ran it. It doesn't necessarily have to be factual.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Maybe this is where I can get an answer to a question raised in one of the US papers this morning or yesterday. They were saying that thousands of Canadian 'snowbirds' were in the US and they may have trouble returning if they forgot to take their passports with them when they flew down in the fall, since they won't be able to return home without them.

Does that mean Canada requires a passport for all incoming Canadians or does it mean the US requires a passport for anyone to fly out of their country? Or does it mean the journalist writing the article was too stupid to realize that if Canadians are returning to Canada, the US passport rules wouldn't apply.

Makes no mind to me, I have my passport with me right now, but won't know until Saturday if I need it to return to Canada.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
does it mean the US requires a passport for anyone to fly out of their country? Or does it mean the journalist writing the article was too stupid to realize that if Canadians are returning to Canada, the US passport rules wouldn't apply.
There is a reprieve in effect indefinitely for Canadians. But the law does say you need a passport to leave the U.S. and it would be checked before boarding your flight. Yes, the U.S. passport rules apply to Canadians. The reprieve is for Canadians who got here before the law went into effect.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bobster
the law does say you need a passport to leave the U.S. and it would be checked before boarding your flight.
I can already see the hilarity that will ensue when this function is turned over to the rules-are-rules TSA folks and the ICE, and you'll get circumstances like someone arriving in the US without a passport, and being summarily deported for it, but the TSA won't let them board their return flight because they don't have a passport
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada
Does that mean Canada requires a passport for all incoming Canadians or does it mean the US requires a passport for anyone to fly out of their country? Or does it mean the journalist writing the article was too stupid to realize that if Canadians are returning to Canada, the US passport rules wouldn't apply.
The new rules this week affect only the process of entering the US. The "old" way is still good going into Canada.

Driving or ferrying into the US is still okay to be passport-free until 1.1.08, because the terrorists said they won't try to enter until then.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:21 pm

If they won't let you board a flight to Canada, you can fly to Buffalo, cross the border by ground transporatation, and then fly from Toronto to anywhere in Canada. Passports are only needed for air travel, so there's a big hole at this point.

Originally Posted by LessO2
The new rules this week affect only the process of entering the US. The "old" way is still good going into Canada.
The new rules affect people who are leaving also. But they made an exception for Canadians returning home. But Canadians leaving the U.S. for Mexico would not be allowed to go without a passport; they have to go home and then fly from Canada to Mexico.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
There was a news story (one of many) discussing the new requirement that you must have a passport to re-enter the US from Mexico, Canada and the Carribean.

As usual, they mananged to find an idiotic quote: "I'd rather be going through a security check, than possibly being blown out of the air because of lack of security measures," said John Golden of Columbus, Ga., who was headed to Cancun, Mexico.

NOTE TO UNDERSTAND MY COMPLAINT: While the airline might request the passport to confirm you have the necessary travel documents, the real "check" of the passport is done when you get off the return airplane trip. So it has *nothing* to do with being "blown out of the air."

What is the news value of this idiotic quote?
I can only guess that stupid comments from stupid people have some curious appeal to other stupid people/viewers/readers/listeners to whom editors are hoping to appeal. Bah.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:40 am

OK...here's a story from someone inside "the media". For about a month now I've been trying to get through to any script-writer that the current passport requirements only apply to AIR TRAVEL. I'm blue in the face from the endless conversations and corrections that travel other than air travel does not need a passport. Still, I can't work 24 hours a day and some idiot writes a script saying that ALL travel to Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico needs a passport.

Some of the people in "the media" are real doorknobs. I've been in the business for twenty years, does anybody have an opening in any other industry? Anything at all????
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FinsUp99
... does anybody have an opening in any other industry? Anything at all????
As they say, be careful what you wish for. TSA is hiring.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by dw8146
As they say, be careful what you wish for. TSA is hiring.
That's hilarious because I know one broadcast engineer who quit/forced to retire and got hired by the TSA.

I'm still laughing on this.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:47 pm
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
Driving or ferrying into the US is still okay to be passport-free until 1.1.08, because the terrorists said they won't try to enter until then.
And they usually don't get passports...
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by crhptic
I can already see the hilarity that will ensue when this function is turned over to the rules-are-rules TSA folks and the ICE, and you'll get circumstances like someone arriving in the US without a passport, and being summarily deported for it, but the TSA won't let them board their return flight because they don't have a passport
Can you say Viktor Navorski?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Silver
This made me laugh out loud.

It's rules like this that convince me that post 9/11 security rules are only for a calming effect of fearful travelers. The most they'll ever do is stop a lazy, copycat terrorist.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL, Starwood, SWA, United. RIP NWA.
Sometimes the news value is simply letting us all know how many stupid people are in the world. If the news didn't cover the uninformed doing the ill-advised, there wouldn't be much news, now would there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.