Flying Turkish between FRA and Dalaman

Old Jan 15, 07, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Red face Flying Turkish between FRA and Dalaman

Hi

maybe this is not the right forum? Then please recommend a better place for my question.

Basically I am worried to fly Turkish airlines.

Could somebody help me to understand what safety reputation they have on international flights. Is the equipment up to spec, staff trained like other major carriers?

Or what shall I look for in order to grade the airline in a honest and professional way?

Thank you very much
Old Jan 15, 07, 5:33 am

Programs: Skymiles SM
Urm, Turkish Airlines is a world class full service airline.
If you are used to the American legacy cariers you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 15, 07, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Oh, I am happy to hear they are a full service airline.

I have verified that they are flying 737-800 on the legs I am planning to fly.

But what shall I do with the bad security reputation they have among normal travelers (people with no inside information). Is this reputation just unfounded, or originating from long time ago??

thx
Old Jan 15, 07, 9:37 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s5804 View Post
But what shall I do with the bad security reputation they have among normal travelers (people with no inside information). Is this reputation just unfounded, or originating from long time ago??

thx
It isn't exactly unfounded . . . but it is no cause for alarm. They are likely about as effective as the TSA, but without the window-dressing.

That said, I have flown on TK from IST to DLM and it was much better than any US carrier would have been, service-wise. It will be just fine.
Old Jan 15, 07, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
No safety or security concerns that would make me book away from them. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jan 15, 07, 9:59 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold; & some other useless titles
I've been on them probably ten times. They are as good as the best of American carriers service-wise in coach. Planes are usually spotless.

I've also always observed professional security protocols (lack of "window-dressing" is a very good description).
Old Jan 16, 07, 6:13 am
Original Poster

OK

thanks
Old Jun 5, 07, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Hi

just wanted to update you on my findings after my first THY flight.

In short I will avoid them in the future. Note I only fown domestic.
Check-in, boarding, and FA very ruff and edgy service. I compare it with example LH, ANA, SK, but even Continental and Delta was nicer.

Not sure if it is of relevance, but during flight on passenger in a very agressive manner complained to the FA that the service was slow. Something like "hurry up you slow bas%%%d we are going to land before you serve me". Which didn't add to the experience positive side.

In the end the flight was cheap.

Search this Thread