Smuggle condoms at PHL-lawsuit

Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
This story doesnt really state what exactly happend at the airport but I would assume the following. Person's items are x-rayed and TSO saw the suspecious substance. Item's then tested for explosives and come out negative.TSO decides to tip off the LEO that there is some suspicious in the condoms and chain of events then occurs in which the phl pd screws up. I fail to see how this is the TSA's fault? The TSO suspected something was wrong and reported it to the proper authorities. I fail to see why the TSO should not have reported it to a LEO?
cheers
howie
Next, they'll be checking for overdue library books and unpaid parking tickets.

"Oh officer! Look!!! This parking ticket is UNPAID... "

Screw that! "Tipping off" law enforcement is not the TSA's job.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Could TSA be liable to Philly for the damages resulting from a false tip to police?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by entilzhaFT
Could TSA be liable to Philly for the damages resulting from a false tip to police?
Remember - the TSA is accountable to no one. If Philadelphia tries to push the issue, I'm sure the TSA will throw up their SSI confetti and tell the city fathers to go eat a cheesesteak.

I cannot remember the last time (if even such an event exists) where a citizen or government entity was able to hold the TSA accountable for something and extract some type of penalty.

I still think the key to ending these events is through legal attacks on individual screeners - once it becomes known throughout screenerland that they can be held accountable and the TSA can't protect them from a nasty legal bill, they will think long and hard before ever referring another passenger to the police.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I thought drug dealers had mules swallow drug-filled condoms to conceal the drugs from customs officers when traveling. Storing drugs in a condom in a woman's handbag doesn't sound too likely, or smart.

Regarding the woman's arrest record, if she was smart she had that expunged as part of her settlement.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I thought drug dealers had mules swallow drug-filled condoms to conceal the drugs from customs officers when traveling. Storing drugs in a condom in a woman's handbag doesn't sound too likely, or smart.
Right - you swallow the thing. Nobody uses a condom as a subsitute for a "zip-top" bag.

"Jeez guys, we've got a half million in coke here, but no baggies! Quick, go to the drugstore and buy some nonoxynol-9, lubricated, mint flavored glow in the dark magnums!"
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That should be the end of it. The items tested negative, the TSA's concern is over. Period.

Totally outside the TSA's jurisdiction and scope of search - and none of their damn business.

Personally, I want to see the individual screeners hit with lawsuits.
Putting the arugement about drugs aside for a moment how could the TSO know that the substance wasnt something that could be toxic if released in a closed enviroment such as an aircraft ? Now on the other hand I dont quite get how the PHL PD screwed this one up and I would be interested to know how when testing flour it came up as drugs??
cheers
howie
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Putting the arugement about drugs aside for a moment how could the TSO know that the substance wasnt something that could be toxic if released in a closed enviroment such as an aircraft ? Now on the other hand I dont quite get how the PHL PD screwed this one up and I would be interested to know how when testing flour it came up as drugs??
cheers
howie
That's what the chemical trace analysis is for - if it was a harmful chemical, it would have alarmed. If this was an actual terrorist intending on releasing a dangerous chemical or biological agent onboard, they certainly wouldn't have hit it inside condoms. That would require making an assumption that all terrorists are suddenly as dumb and clumsy as Richard Reid.

As for the test...I think they were pushing for some way to make the test come back as drugs or a trace of drugs. That probably caused the delay. It surprises me that the PD didn't just mix in some cocaine from their crime lab and fake the results.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
cheers
howie
The PHL PD screwed this one up by not clearing her faster when drugs weren't involved.

The TSA screwed up by acting like government drug informants looking for their next drug fix, money for a fix or drug rep to be on the government dime.

An overactive imagination would lead to the TSA belief that all kinds of substances are to be presumed to be "something that could be toxic if released in a closed environment such as an aircraft". Then again, given DHS/TSA's perpensity to imagine terrorist threats everywhere due to "an abundance of caution" , it's no surprise that they have failed yet again.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's what the chemical trace analysis is for - if it was a harmful chemical, it would have alarmed. If this was an actual terrorist intending on releasing a dangerous chemical or biological agent onboard, they certainly wouldn't have hit it inside condoms. That would require making an assumption that all terrorists are suddenly as dumb and clumsy as Richard Reid.

As for the test...I think they were pushing for some way to make the test come back as drugs or a trace of drugs. That probably caused the delay. It surprises me that the PD didn't just mix in some cocaine from their crime lab and fake the results.
I wonder if they screened all the little cash she had for traces of drugs, all in an effort to smear (for CYA or worse purposes) ... if not to press charges.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:03 pm

Lets see who did the arresting....TSA or the PHL police.

So who made the final judgment call????

If I Joe Citizen go up to a police officer and tell him "hey that guy over there looks like he has a gun in his pocket" and then the police officer investigates and finds no gun should I as Joe Citizen be arrested for making a mistake?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CLELOSER

If I Joe Citizen go up to a police officer and tell him "hey that guy over there looks like he has a gun in his pocket" and then the police officer investigates and finds no gun should I as Joe Citizen be arrested for making a mistake?
False claims should be pursued by civil litigation, at the very least, by the party smeared, against the party doing the smearing.

If false claims are publicly advanced by government officials, then I wouldn't necessarily mourn the possibility for more serious sanctions.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:19 pm

As Joe Citizen, you accept the risk that comes with such action - including being prosecuted for making a false statement. Also, the person you fingered can take you to court.

There is a big difference between the following two scenarios:

1) Hey officer, that guy over there looks like he has a gun in his pocked

2) Hey officer, that guy over there just took a gun from his pocked and waved it around

For 1), without proof of what's in the pocket, keep your mouth shut

For 2), it's fairly obvious you need to tell someone
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Quick, go to the drugstore and buy some ... magnums!"
So rude to brag. So very rude.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LessO2
Because yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater is illegal.

You can bet if I went up to the LEO at DEN and accused you or one of your team members of having some blow or a weapon in your possession, I'd be hauled off in cuffs.
^ ^

For its excellent use of a TSA screener's prior post to point out the inconsistencies that screener's thinking, I nominate the post above by LessO2 for Post of the Year!

Game, Set, Match

Couldn't agree more. If I walk up to an airport cop and say I saw a screener accept a bribe to permit a bomb or sawed-off shotgun to pass thru the checkpoint (completely without factual basis), I'm certain I'd be looking at hard time and some real fines. What's that about geese and ganders?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Problem is, Joe Citizen didn't refer them to the police.

In fact, it was a "sworn" representative of the government.

Yes, the TSA has carved itself well out of any kind of accountability or responsibility. However, I would think that an FOIA request could be filed to find out who the TSA "hero" was (through videotape) and pursue civil action against her/him.

With power becomes responsibility. And there also comes consequences.

Same goes for the arresting officer and police department.

I hope a civil rights trial is pursued against the TSAer and the police officer individually.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.