Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

U.S. gets British flyers e-mail and credit card info

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. gets British flyers e-mail and credit card info

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:46 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by n5667
Depends on the reason for the search whether or not the police would need a warrant.

As for the TSA, when you submit yourself or your belongings for screener you are giving implied consent and temporarily suspending yoru 4th amendment right - it would be interesting to figure out to what degree that consent allows a TSO to search an individual.

Would a strip search be allowed? Current rules state that a person would be denied boarding and told to come back, and that under no circumstances should a strip search be performed...
Explain to me one or two good reasons that a detailed search of a passengers wallet and personal papers within might be warranted at an airport checkpoint. You can't hide a weapon or any of the published forms of contraband in there. Or computer files, for that matter.

I'm not talking Customs, Immigration, or the like. I'm talking a routine, run-of-the-mill, airport checkpoint.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Explain to me one or two good reasons that a detailed search of a passengers wallet and personal papers within might be warranted at an airport checkpoint. You can't hide a weapon or any of the published forms of contraband in there.
Various TSA contributors here have postulated the presence of razor blades hidden between credit cards and/or the cards themselves filed down to a sharp edge. Whether this ever actually occurred or is just another TSA urban legend, I couldn't say .

But as to reading the contents of a wallet, that's just sheer abuse. Unless of course an "officer" knows different.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Various TSA contributors here have postulated the presence of razor blades hidden between credit cards
Tool Logic Companion
and/or the cards themselves filed down to a sharp edge.
Credit Card Knife
Whether this ever actually occurred or is just another TSA urban legend, I couldn't say
(Gotta love Google.)
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Explain to me one or two good reasons that a detailed search of a passengers wallet and personal papers within might be warranted at an airport checkpoint. You can't hide a weapon or any of the published forms of contraband in there. Or computer files, for that matter.

I'm not talking Customs, Immigration, or the like. I'm talking a routine, run-of-the-mill, airport checkpoint.
Not speaking of the reason, speaking of what the law grants.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by n5667
Not speaking of the reason, speaking of what the law grants.
Which specific law specifically grants security screeners the right to read (and record) personal papers at an airport security checkpoint?
Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by myrgirl
Credit Card Knife (Gotta love Google.)
One has to wonder if Ricky Jay would clear with a deck of Bikes ... LOL

http://www.amazon.com/Cards-As-Weapo.../dp/0446387568
Old Jan 4, 2007, 6:10 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by myrgirl
And neither of these items is a credible threat to an airplane or airports.

They should both be ignored.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.