FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Are Handcuffs Allowed In Carry-on Luggage? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/635683-handcuffs-allowed-carry-luggage.html)

Michelle2385 Dec 13, 2006 5:00 pm

Are Handcuffs Allowed In Carry-on Luggage?

The last time I looked, handcuffs were not on the prohibited item list. My husband and I have always packed them in our checked baggage and, invariably, that particular piece of luggage always returns with one of those TSA stickers saying that the bag had been searched. However, the handcuffs were never confiscated. We're planning a weekend trip and we'd like to take only carry-on luggage. I'm sure that those handcuffs would be quite visible on the x-ray. Does anyone know if they will be confiscated?

PHLJJS Dec 13, 2006 5:29 pm

Yes, they are allowed in your carryon. An overzelous TSO might question them, but the bottom line is they're ok.

TierFlyer Dec 13, 2006 5:37 pm

Put a big label on them: For Recreational Use Only, Do Not Take Internally.

N830MH Dec 13, 2006 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by PHLJJS (Post 6844996)
Yes, they are allowed in your carryon. An overzelous TSO might question them, but the bottom line is they're ok.

No, I don't think you can do that for taking the handcuff go through checkpoint. I think you will get bottom line to placed checked bags. It is much safer for real problems with TSA.

KenJohn Dec 13, 2006 6:18 pm

although I am sure pink fluffy ones are very likely to be permitted. Might be an issue with the more hard core silver metal ones.

muddy Dec 13, 2006 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by KenJohn (Post 6845270)
... the more hard core silver metal ones.

just dont forget the key ... although, surely, the concierge at most reputable hotels keeps a handcuffs key for those type embarrassing moments. :D

feitefrank Dec 13, 2006 8:02 pm

This month's Axis of Evil products appear to be toothpaste, perfume and shaving-foam, so you should be ok.

cpx Dec 13, 2006 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by TierFlyer (Post 6845038)
Put a big label on them: For Recreational Use Only, Do Not Take Internally.

:D

I carried a couple of pairs once pre-9/11 without any issue.. I'm sure
they are still okay.

okazon69 Dec 13, 2006 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Michelle2385 (Post 6844826)
The last time I looked, handcuffs were not on the prohibited item list. My husband and I have always packed them in our checked baggage and, invariably, that particular piece of luggage always returns with one of those TSA stickers saying that the bag had been searched. However, the handcuffs were never confiscated. We're planning a weekend trip and we'd like to take only carry-on luggage. I'm sure that those handcuffs would be quite visible on the x-ray. Does anyone know if they will be confiscated?

A friend of mine had a bag of nylon ties confiscated (quote: "you can tie things up with those!" :D :D :D ), so I really don't see the useful purpose of handcuffs while you're on the plane, whether they're listed or not....

SJC1K Dec 13, 2006 8:18 pm

Although handcuffs aren't on the TSA's list, a CBS story from August (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1890143.shtml) says that a collection center in Pennsylvania has 100 sets of handcuffs confiscated from travelers. I wouldn't expect to win an argument with an TSA screener whether they were right or not, so I would check my handcuffs.

Coast2Coast Dec 13, 2006 8:30 pm

I have had handcuffs confiscated pre-9/11. I can't imagine that there is less potential to have them taken away.

Mikey likes it Dec 13, 2006 8:42 pm

Thread of the day, btw.

Michelle2385 Dec 13, 2006 11:55 pm

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

Originally Posted by KenJohn (Post 6845270)
although I am sure pink fluffy ones are very likely to be permitted. Might be an issue with the more hard core silver metal ones.

Actually, they're red furry cuffs, LOL!
Judging from most of the replies, I think we'll simply check our luggage just to be on the safe side.

Lumpy Dec 14, 2006 12:03 am

The way things are going, they'll be standard equipment for ALL passengers (to WEAR!) before you can say click, click. Part of your implied consent contract to fly under the TSA Flag.

"Hands behind your back, Cub Scout! Yer Grandma is next. I can see from here she has water on the knee..."

Do ya suppose leg irons are considered to be footwear?

Flaflyer Dec 14, 2006 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Michelle2385 (Post 6844826)
We're planning a weekend trip. . .

If you cannot go 48 hours without your cuffs, you obviously have a severe need for this device, which must qualify them as a "medical necessity." TSA rules allow "medically related items" and "Other Exterior Medical Devices" which your cuffs obviously are. However, TSA often demands long detailed explanations of your medical condition before approving medical devices, so be prepared.