Verified Identity Pass at EWR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Liftetime Gold/ BA Silver
Verified Identity Pass at EWR?

By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: November 29, 2006
... Federal authorities cleared the way yesterday for a program giving travelers who volunteer for background checks an easier passage through airport security to begin next month.
....Verified Identity Pass .. plans to offer its service in 12 to 20 airports over the next year.
.... About 20 airports have expressed interest in offering a registered traveler program

Anyone know if EWR is on the list and if not, what we can do to lobby for the service?
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

I certainly hope EWR is not on the list and that this abomination is stopped as soon as possible!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Liftetime Gold/ BA Silver
Turns out they are talking to The Port Authority of NY and New Jersey which controls Newark but there is no agreement yet. You can write in support at http://www.panynj.gov/rfframe.HTM. That said, I would have thought that indicating support to Continental would be more useful as a way of lobbying for this.

I certianly favor such a service if only because the Elite lines no longer work at EWR - either because there are too many Elites or too many non-Elites being waved into the Elite lines.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This thread really belongs in the TS&S forum.

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator
Old Nov 30, 2006, 8:37 pm

Why, so we can give even more info to the government? It gets only worse: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061201/...er_screening_9

Without notifying the public, federal agents for the past four years have assigned millions of international travelers, including Americans, computer-generated scores rating the risk they pose of being terrorists or criminals.

The travelers are not allowed to see or directly challenge these risk assessments, which the government intends to keep on file for 40 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.