Pasta machine as carry-on luggage?

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Pasta machine as carry-on luggage?

Any guesses how the TSA would react? (For obvious reasons it's not covered in the TSA list of what's allowed and what's not.)

Note that this would be the day before Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I seriously doubt you will get this past security.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
My bet: TSA declares it a "potential chemical mixer bomb making apparatus".

Besides, if you make pasta in flight it will be kind of dry without any water. . .
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
I say no way. I bet your pasta machine has blades and it and can be reassembled like a Transformer into a deadly robot. Tools were not allowed even a simple blunt Allen Wrench I once had at LAX.
But nothing like pre 9/11 when I ignorantly took a bar set with a large corkscrew and sharp garnish knife through security. They actually inspected it and let me take it through since I did not look like a bad guy and I explained it was a gift for Christmas.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
United Parcel Service.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

FedEx it.

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

Sanosuke!
Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:48 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Clearly, you could use it to grab a flight attendant and try to turn him/her into fettucine. Never get by security.

At one point, post-9/11 and pre-liquid bombs, I brought a juice maker to Hawaii as a Christmas present for my mom. This got me SSSS'ed, and I had to take off my shoes. Now, pasta maker. . . . no way.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Hoc
At one point, post-9/11 and pre-liquid bombs, I brought a juice maker to Hawaii as a Christmas present for my mom. This got me SSSS'ed, and I had to take off my shoes. Now, pasta maker. . . . no way.
That doesn't make sense, taking off shoes for a juice maker. You take off your shoes to make wine, and wine goes with pasta, so I can see taking off shoes for a pasta maker; but not for a juice maker. (unless he's a juice loan maker who also makes wine).

Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:31 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
That doesn't make sense, taking off shoes for a juice maker. You take off your shoes to make wine, and wine goes with pasta, so I can see taking off shoes for a pasta maker; but not for a juice maker. (unless he's a juice loan maker who also makes wine).

Well, I think we've established that nothing that the TSA does seems to make any sense. Think of it this way: If you juice, then you might be high on vitamins, so you are clearly a danger to the flight. Maybe they made me take off my shoes to see if I was hiding any carrots between my toes.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Hoc
Maybe they made me take off my shoes to see if I was hiding any carrots between my toes.
Ah yes, the super secret TSA carrot-and-stick method.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rafatmit
Any guesses how the TSA would react? (For obvious reasons it's not covered in the TSA list of what's allowed and what's not.)

Note that this would be the day before Thanksgiving.
No, you are not permitted beyond the checkpoint with Pasta Machines. I would issue to place into checked baggage or you will need sent it out FedEx or UPS. You will not able bring the Pasta Machines at the airports because it would be cause problems with TSA. I would imagine to keep better safe stay home or need sent out with FedEx or UPS is much better. You will keep better safer from airplanes or x-ray machines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.