Search

Air Marshall identification

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Air Marshall identification

Given the OP’s experience in this thread: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615878
if someone identifies themselves as an Air Marshall, how do you know they’re telling the truth, and not just some wacko?

Since FAMs are supposed to be undercover, I would have been very suspicious of someone identifying themselves as such to me. Seeing the badge or ID is useless to me, since I don’t know what the real thing looks like. Of course, asking for more definitive evidence (their gun) would probably get me in real trouble. Do you ask them to talk to the FA, as they know the identity of the FAMs?

BTW: Does the FAM badge really look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Air_Marshal
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ralfp
BTW: Does the FAM badge really look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Air_Marshal
Does the badge really say "Spetember 11, 2001" at the bottom? They may as well have "Think of the Children" and "It's for Your Own Security" on there as well.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, HA, Qantas
Originally Posted by superbad
Does the badge really say "Spetember 11, 2001" at the bottom? They may as well have "Think of the Children" and "It's for Your Own Security" on there as well.

That is just a graphic that was made after 9/11. It is not an official insignia.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:26 pm

Given the OP’s experience in this thread: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615878
if someone identifies themselves as an Air Marshall, how do you know they’re telling the truth, and not just some wacko?

Since FAMs are supposed to be undercover, I would have been very suspicious of someone identifying themselves as such to me. Seeing the badge or ID is useless to me, since I don’t know what the real thing looks like. Of course, asking for more definitive evidence (their gun) would probably get me in real trouble. Do you ask them to talk to the FA, as they know the identity of the FAMs?

In this situation the best course would be to ask for a supervising crew member, or similar employee if in a terminal area. That would be similar to driving your car to a well lit area, or driving to the police station as is suggested when you don't think it is a "real" police car trying to pull you over.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:34 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by bbc1969
That is just a graphic that was made after 9/11. It is not an official insignia.
Right, some agencies will produce a badge for special/commemorative purposes. For example...
http://www.hakes.com/product_images/...19/001_big.jpg
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbc1969
In this situation the best course would be to ask for a supervising crew member, or similar employee if in a terminal area. That would be similar to driving your car to a well lit area, or driving to the police station as is suggested when you don't think it is a "real" police car trying to pull you over.
First of all, you are under no obligation to believe the guy who says he's a FAM, even after producing identification. Here's a couple of suggestions -- gleaned from personal protection professionals I've run across:

1. Do a take-off from a driving scenario. If you're flashed by a police car, especially by an unmarked car of unknown credibility and you're in a familiar area, put on your flashers to indicate that you are going to pull over and then, with flashers flashing, drive to the nearest police station and pull over right in front of it. If the guy is bogus, he will drive off.

2. Call 911 and state that you are being confronted by someone who is claiming to be a police officer or FAM and you believe he (or she) is bogus. Request that a real police officer meet you at your location. This also works while driving if you don't know where a police station is located.

An adaptation of #1 inside airside if confronted by someone claiming to be a FAM is simply to find the nearest TSA checkpoint and hope that there is a cop nearby..

No competent authority (lots of room for interpretation here) will ever fault you for thoroughly checking out the credentials of someone about to detain you or otherwise harass you.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
1. Do a take-off from a driving scenario. If you're flashed by a police car, especially by an unmarked car of unknown credibility and you're in a familiar area, put on your flashers to indicate that you are going to pull over and then, with flashers flashing, drive to the nearest police station and pull over right in front of it. If the guy is bogus, he will drive off.

No competent authority (lots of room for interpretation here) will ever fault you for thoroughly checking out the credentials of someone about to detain you or otherwise harass you.
I recall hearing about cases where drivers did exactly that (flashers, trying to drive to police station or public area, driving slowly) and as a result were considered to be evading the police, were subject to felony stop procedures (handcuffs, face thrown onto the ground), and in at least one case I recall, a woman was actually convited at trial for evasion. I can't find a link at the moment; maybe someone else can.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, US, UA, FL, B6

FAMs show their badge to the gate agent to get a boarding pass for the flight. They show it to security, as well. But no one else in the airport is supposed to see it. When I was waiting for an FL flight in CLT once (actually on Liquid Day, 8/10), I saw a FAM flash her badge at the GA. It said something along the lines of "Federal Aviation Administration: FEDERAL AIR MARSHAL." It was in a wallet like you see FBI badges in on Without a Trace. Just white with words on it. I don't think there was a logo, but I'm not sure. Without saying a word, the GA printed a boarding pass for the FAM, and the FAM took it and walked away. (The flight was pretty significantly delayed, so it took a while before we boarded, and I lost track of the FAM. I think she ended up in business class.)
Old Nov 1, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
That is a major problem as I don't think many of these people are competent.
They will think you are thwarting their authority, that you are trying to "stick it to the man", that you are a scofflaw, a hack, a hippy, a slacker, a druggie and last but not least a terrorist.

So you (may) end up with your face in the floor with your hands behind your back, being arrested for "questionin' mah ah-thora-T" if you ask them to verify their identity.

I don't think that should keep you from doing it, just a warning of what may happen.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by infinityplusone
That is a major problem as I don't think many of these people are competent.
They will think you are thwarting their authority, that you are trying to "stick it to the man", that you are a scofflaw, a hack, a hippy, a slacker, a druggie and last but not least a terrorist.

So you (may) end up with your face in the floor with your hands behind your back, being arrested for "questionin' mah ah-thora-T" if you ask them to verify their identity.

I don't think that should keep you from doing it, just a warning of what may happen.
You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong.

A person who responds with a confrontational or even aggressive attitude will most likely be dealt with as is dictated by the situation.

A person who responds with a reasonable fear, or question about authenticity, and then asks to also have/or meet with an airline rep, or local (say an airport) officer will not be treated poorly.

Some FT folks like to make broad generalizations about FAMs. Most are not true. The FAM service has seen some idiots, just as any organization does, public or private. Most are long gone now, and we are working on the rest.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, it is easy to transfer one's dislike for one agency; and or the policies they work under, to other agencies and "lump" all who work for the government or during a particular administration as substandard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.