Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA took my cancer medication away

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiff
I sincerely hope that supporters of these disgusting actions (e.g. practicing medicine without a license) are someday themselves the victim of denied medication or health care. And that goes double for any TSA employee who has confiscated medication from someone.

"You have to be human first. They don't qualify." -The Shawshank Redemption
Well, I forgot my sunscreen and got a nasty burn on my forehead. Is that what you meant, Spiff?
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
I sincerely hope that supporters of these disgusting actions (e.g. practicing medicine without a license) are someday themselves the victim of denied medication or health care. And that goes double for any TSA employee who has confiscated medication from someone.

"You have to be human first. They don't qualify." -The Shawshank Redemption
Now it becomes more clear why you posted the message you did the other day.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Originally Posted by hawleypatriot
Well, I forgot my sunscreen and got a nasty burn on my forehead. Is that what you meant, Spiff?

What a fine bit of Hawley-like patriotism, indeed.

Do you have a medical condition that makes you particularly susceptible to danger of exposure to radiation from the sun? I can only guess not from your flippant dismissal of another's real vulnerability. Your sunburn is irrelevant.

Do you have a "note from your doctor" attesting to the fact that you need to have this medication with you? I can only guess not for the same reasons.

So, Hawley-like, twist the facts, down play the legitimate need of others in order to justify a screening program, while supposedly designed to "make us safer", results in increased jeopardy for the traveling public in other ways. Even our resident TSA guy tells of "having" had to take liquid cold medication for a baby away from a mother. Other credible stories from TSA'ers and regular citizens abound.

Those involved in the system of confiscation have confessed to the fact that the taken liquids and gels - far from being treated as hazmat - is taken home by employees, sent for human use to shelters, etc. or simply disposed of in landfill.

I guess no one really believes it's dangerous.

Well, HawleyApologist, keep up the good work defending illogical practices that breed disrespect for the system by systematically disrespecting the people it is supposed to serve.

edited to include a couple of dropped words.

Last edited by Teacher49; Oct 22, 2006 at 5:35 pm
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Teacher49
What a fine bit of Hawley-like patriotism, indeed.

Do you have a medical condition that makes you particularly susceptible to danger of exposure to radiation from the sun? I can only guess not from your flippant dismissal of another's real vulnerability. Your sunburn is irrelevant.

Do you have a "note from your doctor" attesting to the fact that you need to have this medication with you? I can only guess not for the same reasons.

So, Hawley-like, twist the facts, down play the legitimate need of others in order to justify a screening program, while supposedly designed to "make us safer", results in increased jeopardy for the traveling public in other ways. Even our resident TSA guy tells of "having" had to take liquid cold medication for a baby away from a mother. Other credible stories from TSA'ers and regular citizens abound.

Those involved in the system of confiscation have confessed to the fact that the taken liquids and gels - far from being treated as hazmat - is taken home by employees, sent for human use to shelters, etc. or simply disposed of in landfill.

I guess no one really believes it's dangerous.

Well, HawleyApologist, keep up the good work defending illogical practices that disrespect for the system by systematically disrespecting the people it is supposed to serve.
Or, get back under the bridge and collect those tolls from unsuspecting people.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm back online now. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. I was unfortunately very brief in my OP. I had just landed in Narita and sitting in the lounge waiting for my flight to Singapore and only had a few jet-lagged minutes to go online. I am sorry that you all had to speculate on what it was about. On the surface, it wasn't that horrible, but it still should never have happened and it highlights what some have said about the TSA "practicing" medicine.

I have skin cancer. It nearly killed me a few years ago, but now I am fine as long as I take extra special care to protect myself. As I don't want to live indoors for the rest of my life, my doctor has ordered me to use the best sun block I can get. The skin care industry has come up with some new medications recently that have been integrated with certain makes of OTC sun block. Check out http://www.neutrogena.com/content_169.asp for an example. That is what I had in my bag. This is what my doctor told me to always have with me and this is what he gave me a note for to take on the plane. That is what the TSA denied on the airplane.

Why take it on the plane rather than checking it? Two reasons. The first is that I was flying for about 24 hours (LAX-NRT-SIN) and when someone has the window open at 35K feet, the power of the sun is very strong. So I usually reapply the sun block during such a long flight. The second reason is that I am a frequent flyer with over 100 flights per year all over the world. If I checked my bags every time I would lose a lot of luggage. Even if my luggage was just delayed for a day or two I would be gone before it arrived. Checking bags is rarely an option for me. However I did try to return to the United counter to see if they could check the medication for me. Unfortunately it was too late to do so. My flight to NRT was boarding.

I think the TSA thought I was somehow sneaking normal sun-tan lotion on board. I showed them the bandages on my skin from two recent biopsies my doctor cut out of me and tried to explain Helioplex to them, but they didn't buy it. They assumed that it was just normal sun-tan lotion. I think that is the crux of the problem. The TSA is making medical assumptions that they are not qualified for. Obviously there are load of liquids and cremes on every flight, so why restrict ANYTHING that a traveler claims is medicine?

I have looked for this or any other appropriate skin care products here in Asia before and I haven't found anything. So I guess I'm out of luck. Over the next couple of weeks I have to go to BKK-MUC-ZRH-DXB-MUC and ping pong around Europe. Then in December after going back to HKG I will make it back to LAX. So I really don't have much of an opportuity to talk to any US media except by email or telephone.
Although I'm am sorry this happened to a fellow Bears fan. The screener was following procedures but if i may make a suggestion even though it is a hassle why not just put your sunscreen in a few small travel size bottles then you wouldn't have to worry about remembering the doctors note. Go Bears
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by etch5895
Or, get back under the bridge and collect those tolls from unsuspecting people.
^
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by omascreener
Although I'm am sorry this happened to a fellow Bears fan. The screener was following procedures but if i may make a suggestion even though it is a hassle why not just put your sunscreen in a few small travel size bottles then you wouldn't have to worry about remembering the doctors note. Go Bears
The particular sun screens that my doctor has me using do not come in travel sizes AFAIK.

I don't have a problem with the initial screener who was just doing his job, although I think most of those people would better serve society as McDonalds workers. Using the "I'm just doing my job" excuse doesn't absolve them of the harm they are doing to America.

I do have a problem with the supervisor for not using discretion and I mostly have a problem with the fools in Washington for coming up with this mess.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by omascreener
I do not think that the OP should go to any trouble to do all of that if the sunscreen is medically necessary. If one does not stand up to injustices, the size and number of them can only grow.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
The particular sun screens that my doctor has me using do not come in travel sizes AFAIK.

I don't have a problem with the initial screener who was just doing his job, although I think most of those people would better serve society as McDonalds workers. Using the "I'm just doing my job" excuse doesn't absolve them of the harm they are doing to America.

I do have a problem with the supervisor for not using discretion and I mostly have a problem with the fools in Washington for coming up with this mess.
No what I'm saying is get a few travel size bottles and transfer the sunscreen from the original container into them, I know its a hassle but that would at least forgo having to remember a doctors note.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:51 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
Sometime we just have to take responsibility for our own actions.

I am sorry that Stimpy had his much-needed sunscreen taken away, but as he did really need it, and it didn't have a prescription label on it, TSA really didn't have any choice but to treat it as OTC. The doctor's note would have definitely come in handy. If it were me, I'd probably keep a sunscreen in my travel kit along with the doctor's note. A simple step could save an awful lot of aggravation, and most of all, the loss of the much-needed sunscreen.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by rkt10
hawleypatriot, Don't judge FlyerTalk too harshly as a new poster. You may find your opinion of us changes drastically as you get to know us better.
Oh, "hp" knows us very well

His latest incarnation only lasted for 30+ posts. He's slipping.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:08 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Cookie Jarvis
Sometime we just have to take responsibility for our own actions.

I am sorry that Stimpy had his much-needed sunscreen taken away, but as he did really need it, and it didn't have a prescription label on it, TSA really didn't have any choice but to treat it as OTC. The doctor's note would have definitely come in handy. If it were me, I'd probably keep a sunscreen in my travel kit along with the doctor's note. A simple step could save an awful lot of aggravation, and most of all, the loss of the much-needed sunscreen.
I disagree completely.

There is no safety gained from confiscating sunscreen, medications, or other liquids.

I hope Comrade Kip Hawley suffers a painful malady or maladies for his disgusting actions and that there is no cure or better yet there is one and he is denied access to it. He is a filthy, disgusting, un-American disgrace.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:51 am

I agree with some posters who feel the thread title is inaccurate; respectfully the confiscated material in question does nothing to TREAT cancer, but is important in his preventive/supportive efforts. As such, major claims to news media, etc. IMHO are unwarranted. There are some topical/oral chemotherapeutic agents that could easily be deemed disposable by TSOs; this would be unacceptable and safeguards should be in place.

However, I do believe, as Bart has mentioned earlier, that in certain circumstances, screener managers have latitude. The key is to not read into the banned list, but to use it as a guiding framework. The OP's discussion with the screener and supervisors should have made clear the intent.

Possilbe solutions for the future:
1) Physicians' written prescription for an over-the-counter supportive remedy.
2) Transfer such items to smaller containers.
3) Concealed storage on your person (I don't advocate breaking rules, but the TSA approach is so porous it's laughable.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
3) Concealed storage on your person (I don't advocate breaking rules, but the TSA approach is so porous it's laughable.
Oh, I advocate it. There's a reason Uncle Levi invented pockets.

Mike
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: TSA
Wow I love all the speculation on the issue. It comes out that he had lotion with sunblock in it. All the people here are jumping on the bash TSA bandwagon. It is a shame that it happened but no one wants to look at it from the other side of things. What was the name of the product? There are a lot of avenues that this could take but it didnt turn out in the passengers favor. DEN is still getting 300 gallons of liquids a week and 3000 lighters and 7000 knives! There are signs on all the doors, there is a public announcement every 5 minutes and there are signs and presentations on big televisions at the checkpoints. I for one would have let it go. But there are some TSA people that are hell bent on the letter of the law and not the spirit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.