Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA, WSJ, USA Today, concessions, UA, Air Wis, Skywest, and a revised liquid policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA, WSJ, USA Today, concessions, UA, Air Wis, Skywest, and a revised liquid policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC

I read the paper yesterday and saw the revised liquids policy allowing 3oz bottles and airside purchased liquids. In fact, there were at least a couple articles referring to it in both papers I read, the WSJ and USA Today. Heard on NPR about the policy while I was driving to the airport. I got to MKE and approaching the TSA area a TSA employee pulled me aside, handed me a flyer, and described the new allowances to me while referring to a huge billboard they had constructed to explain the procedure. Got through security and signs in the concession area explaining that screened liquids purchased airside are allowed. Sitting in the gate area surfing the net I saw the new policy description on United.com. The gate agent, employeed by Air Wisconsin, actually came on and made an announcement that liquids purchased airside may now be brought onboard, so go stock up! Finally, after having all of this drilled into me, I got onboard the Skywest CRJ, and the flight attendant proceeded to confiscate everyone's water bottles just purchased at the airport concessions.

She said that skywest hadn't told her about this yet - so away they go. Sheesh.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
SkyWest nonsense aside, does this mean we can purchase alcohol airside and bring it in the cabin? I'd love to pick up a bottle of vino at SFO during my MR this weekend...
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P-MM
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Yeah, and as of 10PM last night, when I called the 1K reservations line, they were still playing the "no liquids on airplanes" safety announcement at the beginning of the call.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by as219
SkyWest nonsense aside, does this mean we can purchase alcohol airside and bring it in the cabin?
I assume so. The policy, as listed on tsa.gov, is: After clearing security, travelers can now bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:16 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by as219
SkyWest nonsense aside, does this mean we can purchase alcohol airside and bring it in the cabin? I'd love to pick up a bottle of vino at SFO during my MR this weekend...
Yes-- if it is purchased airside.

But you cannot drink it on the plane unless you have an FA serve it to you-- so says the FAA.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Yes-- if it is purchased airside.

But you cannot drink it on the plane unless you have an FA serve it to you-- so says the FAA.
And with one other proviso: If the traveler and the wine bottle leave the sterile area for any reason, the wine will not be permitted back in the sterile area - so watch out on connections that require changing terminals where re-screening is required and don't go outside for a smoke or . . . well, you get the idea.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
And with one other proviso: If the traveler and the wine bottle leave the sterile area for any reason, the wine will not be permitted back in the sterile area - so watch out on connections that require changing terminals where re-screening is required and don't go outside for a smoke or . . . well, you get the idea.
So can the items be in a plastic bag in your carry-on or do they have to be outside in a quart sized plastic bag?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:35 pm
pkx

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Finally, after having all of this drilled into me, I got onboard the Skywest CRJ, and the flight attendant proceeded to confiscate everyone's water bottles just purchased at the airport concessions.

Somewhat related question:

Lets say that someone refused to give up their liquid they purchased airside. Lets say it was a $200 bottle of scotch.

Could he/she be arrested for not obeying a flight attendant (that's the law, right?) even if the FA was clearly in the wrong?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:38 pm
pkx

Originally Posted by andyh64000
So can the items be in a plastic bag in your carry-on or do they have to be outside in a quart sized plastic bag?

Quart bag if obtained landside.

Any bag is fine if obtained airside.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by pkx
Quart bag if obtained landside.

Any bag is fine if obtained airside.
Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bigbit
Yeah, and as of 10PM last night, when I called the 1K reservations line, they were still playing the "no liquids on airplanes" safety announcement at the beginning of the call.
Just called again, and this is ridiculous! Needs to be changed!
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I just called corporate customer service and told her about MONDAY's announced change and that it is still on the recording when calling the 1K desk.

"Thank you for your concern. But I'm not sure there is anything we can do about that."

I carefully and slowly told her I was not commenting on the TSA policy, but that UA was broadcasting out of date information.

"Yes sir, I understand that. But I am not sure we can do anything about that recording."

I carefully and slowly explained that this recording was playing when I called the 1K reservations number at United Airlines.

"Yes sir, I understand that."

Hang up. But why bother calling again?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
I just called corporate customer service and told her about MONDAY's announced change and that it is still on the recording when calling the 1K desk.

"Thank you for your concern. But I'm not sure there is anything we can do about that."

I carefully and slowly told her I was not commenting on the TSA policy, but that UA was broadcasting out of date information.

"Yes sir, I understand that. But I am not sure we can do anything about that recording."

I carefully and slowly explained that this recording was playing when I called the 1K reservations number at United Airlines.

"Yes sir, I understand that."

Hang up. But why bother calling again?
I am sure the 1K desk has very little control over the recording. They could inform people of the new policy and disregard the recording when they answer though.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Bingo! The appropriate answer would have been "Wow, that recording is out of date, isn't it? I can't make the change myself, but I'll contact someone in the unit in charge of that."
Old Sep 27, 2006, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkx
Somewhat related question:

Lets say that someone refused to give up their liquid they purchased airside. Lets say it was a $200 bottle of scotch.

Could he/she be arrested for not obeying a flight attendant (that's the law, right?) even if the FA was clearly in the wrong?
I would not allow a flight attendant to "confiscate" my $200 bottle of scotch any more than I would allow them to confiscate my watch or my wallet.

I have to obey flight attendants' instructions, but that rule doesn't cover on-board muggings attempted by an FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.