Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bart
Are you getting wrapped around the axle on the analogy itself? Well, I won't let you bait me into a topic area already forbidden by the moderator. I agree with you that the OP's statement was not a violation of his right to freedom of expression. If you scroll back, you'll note that I've said this consistently throughout this thread.

Are you sure that the OP's intent was political protest? It's very easy to claim that after the fact. Of course, the word "idiot" is pretty provocative. I think the OP clearly intended to get a rise out of the screeners who would see the bag. I don't credit the OP with having the noble intent of defending a constitutional principle. However, I find it interesting that I am drawing so much fire for using my own extreme example for the sake of illustrating the extent of freedom of expression but not necessarily with the intent of offending anyone. Yet I'm already being called names even if indirectly.

The convenience of debate logic in these forums are interesting. I wonder what the reaction would be if I had never openly identified myself as a TSA employee. I truly believe that many of the disagreements are based on the fact that I've self-disclosed my affiliation with TSA...a sort of "posting while TSO" type of thing. When you look at my first post, I've agreed that the STSO overreacted; the incident should have been handled more professionally; and the OP's actions did not constitute any sort of threat to commercial aviation. However, I also took time to criticize the OP, and because I'm a known LTSO, I'm drawing heat from you and others because of who I am as opposed to the substance of my views. Which, by the way, have been used in other threads as rationalizations to counter my views.

Some of you are so fickle.
Criticism of a public official -- a political appointee at that -- in such a manner as noted in the OP is a form of political protest/expression.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:37 pm

Please write your Congressional reps and Senator

Hello everyone.
Please write your congressman and senator. All it takes is a few words and your Senator can be contacted directly through email while you may have to snail mail your Congressman. http://www.senate.gov/reference/comm...t_senators.htm

There are a few things that make me drop everything that I am doing to write my Congressman and Senator and TSA/DHS abuse is one of them.

wlwjr66
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
OP back here again to answer some questions and add some more detail.

First of all, to zusername in post #89: Welcome to Flyertalk!
To wlwjr66 in post #123: Welcome to Flyertalk!

After my adventure in MKE, I wrote my original post on the flight to MSP and just had enough time to log on and post before catching my flight to California. I was a bit surprised that 5 hours later it had so many replies.

To everyone who asked if I got the names of the people involved: I did take down the name and number of the TSA Supervisor and plan on submitting a complaint to TSA.gov

To those who seemed worried I might end up on some secret list, I'm not. I've complained in writing and in person to the TSA over a dozen times; complaining about the shoe carnival, the recent liquid ban, even the hostility I see from front line TSA people and I haven't been SSSS'ed in over a year. I'm a lot more worried I'm just being ignored (like the rest of us)

One of our fellow Flyertalkers has PM'ed me the name of a contact at the ACLU in Wisconsin and I do plan on discussing the incident with him as a next step
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
My focus was on the incident itself. Yes, the supervisor overreacted and should have been more professional.

My guess is that this incident will go nowhere. The report will go no further than the FSD and be dismissed as a non-incident. Hopefully, the AFSD will look into this and take the approach of telling his STSOs to not let themselves get baited like this. Your solution is to shoot everyone at dawn.
No, that wasn't my solution. I said suspend them, investigate them, and terminate them if necessary.

Slapping on the hands and saying bad boy won't cut it in this situation.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of today, the first day under these procedures, being a very challenging and frustrating day for everyone involved: passengers, screeners, airline managers....everyone. It's not that this is not a big deal to me; I see it as a situation that most certainly could have been handled better, and the AFSD, screening manager or someone in the chain of command needs to approach this particular STSO and guide him back into the right direction.
Retraining may be necessary for everyone else. I'm not so sure this is a forgiveable offense though. I can see "noble intent" (as was often used at my agency) being a mitigating factor, but this was a guy who was bent on being a prick and making a mountain out of nothing.

This guy should be shot at dawn. I think the FSD has a chance to show his underlings that there are consequences for flagrant violations. It might actually enstill some accountability, but I'm not that optimistic.

Super
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alamedaguy
Nice one. ^ Now I'm particularly upset with my wife for getting the generic nowhere to write easily bags.

At least everyone involved seems to have known who Kip Hawley is.

Is this a screener you're likely to encounter again? I wonder how that will play out.
Both Police Deputies I spoke with didn't know who Kip Hawley was.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:47 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Criticism of a public official -- a political appointee at that -- in such a manner as noted in the OP is a form of political protest/expression.
Thanks for putting this back on topic. The OP's statement was pure political speech, entitled to the highest First Amendment protection. The TSA here was completely and utterly in the wrong and I find the idea of so much as a minute's worth of "detention" for political speech to be unacceptable. What the OP did may not have been the most pragmatic thing, but he was well within his rights. When we forget that free speech is nearly absolute when it comes to expressing political opinion, we're well down the road to losing the very thing that makes this country something special. Chalk up another victory for terrorism today. Does anyone here think for a moment that this incident would have occurred if the words on the bag read "George W Bush -- our greatest President ever"?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Are you sure that the OP's intent was political protest? It's very easy to claim that after the fact. Of course, the word "idiot" is pretty provocative. I think the OP clearly intended to get a rise out of the screeners who would see the bag. I don't credit the OP with having the noble intent of defending a constitutional principle. However, I find it interesting that I am drawing so much fire for using my own extreme example for the sake of illustrating the extent of freedom of expression but not necessarily with the intent of offending anyone. Yet I'm already being called names even if indirectly.
Bart, this wasn't a noble attempt to test my Constitutional rights, I was simply hoping to draw the TSA staff on duty into a discussion about the current policies. Quite frankly I have always found the TSA at MKE (my home airport) to be a cut above what I see else where.

However, when the Supervisor told my I didn't have any First Amendment rights here (meaning the TSA checkpoint) you can be DAMN sure I was ready to be arrested rather than let that guy think for one minute he had the right to suppress my Constitutional rights.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MKEbound
However, when the Supervisor told my I didn't have any First Amendment rights here (meaning the TSA checkpoint) you can be DAMN sure I was ready to be arrested rather than let that guy think for one minute he had the right to suppress my Constitutional rights.
I'm dumbfounded that there's a single former soldier in this great country of ours (let alone a bunch of them) who can't (or won't) recognize this as the ultimate issue. Completely dumbfounded.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:16 am
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:00 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
you can be DAMN sure I was ready to be arrested [/B] rather than let that guy think for one minute he had the right to suppress my Constitutional rights.
Did he just think he had the right, or did he in fact suppress any of your rights? Just asking.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I too didn't expect something like this to happen with the TSA at MKE or any other airport in Wisconsin.

Just wait until "SPOT" is in full throttle at airports, for that's a vehicle for a variety of litmus tests to determine treatment at airports. And with "SPOT" interactions, how long until a Constitutionally-protected expression of political opinion results in hostile TSA treatment?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
you can be DAMN sure I was ready to be arrested rather than let that guy think for one minute he had the right to suppress my Constitutional rights.
So will you be trying this at additional airports to see what reaction you get?
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ColKurtz
I think what you did is ridiculous and stupid. I think detaining you for about 25 minutes is about what you deserve. Maybe a little too short. I would have preferred they annoy you for a good 45 minutes or so - hopefully making you miss your flight.
Can you provide us with a list of "acceptable" and "unacceptable" speech? Perhaps it should be a crime to speak out against the government?

Second, and more serious, your sophomoric little stunt distracted the people who are responsible for our security. If someone bent on harming travellers was behind you in line that day, their odds of getting through security were probably much higher than normal -- for the simple fact that you were consuming the attention of several security and police officers.
Actually they were the ones who allowed themselves to be distracted from their jobs.

You said that you think that not only were they in the right to do this, but that they should have done it in an even more extensive and time consuming manner. In other words, you think it was a good idea for them to harass someone for exercising his right to free speech rather than look for threats to aviation security. If someone bent on harming travelers got through, it would be your reasoning that was at fault.

In fact, if you had it your way where all of the TSA screeners and LEOs in the airport hassled anyone who did this kind of thing for an hour, ignoring their actual duties, terrorists would use this method to help sneak things in.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.