Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I'm glad that someone in Congress/aviation security might be taking note of the Kabuki theatre that is TSA...

From the Denver Post on the suspension of the puffer machines:

"Continuing to follow the slow, jumbled and disconnected path taken by TSA and Homeland Security in the last five years is no longer acceptable," said Rep. John Mica, R-Fla., chairman of a House panel that oversees aviation security.

"The whole program has been haphazard. And the result is that still today we have a series of outdated technology that does little but search for metal or guns."
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by progypsy
This is a situation I've learned the about the hard way. I travel out of country a few times a year, and often have to dael with the Customs people in other countries. The only way to extricate yourself from a self-righteous personality disorder with power, is to kiss their @$$ and get through the checkpoint as quickly as possible.

I, too have had occasional encounters with TSA control freaks, and also with US Cutsoms - 40 miles inside the US border (from Mexico). And I was DRIVING back from San Diego to Phoenix when the Customs thing happened.

It's a whole lot cheaper to swallow your pride, tell them what they want to hear, and get out of that situation as quickly as possible.

What you say is largely true. It would indeed be "cheaper" to knuckle under, tell the TSA screener, "Sorry, I didn't realize that was prohibited," and let them confiscate the bag to be on one's way.

However, it would be wrong to do so on several levels. Yeah, it would have saved the OP 25 minutes of his life. That is all it would have done, from a positive standpoint.

Meanwhile, it would have also allowed the screeners involved to continue their abuses of fundamental rights, and not brought this to the public's attention. TSA officials should not be allowed to trample willy-nilly over our rights and continue getting away with it; we have laws for reasons, and unlike the customs officials in other countries who may be secure in their actions, the TSA is not (or at least not supposed to be) immune to criticism.

At some point, a line in the sand must be drawn.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The OP dealt with the media only after several people here asked that he deal with the press sooner than later since going through the normal TSA complaint channels (or even elected officials) was far less likely to be effective in getting anything besides a meaningless cookie-cutter response.
Indeed--and note that spokeshole Yolanda isn't even willing to admit the OP's complaint exists. It has obviously vanished into the TSA complaint black hole.

I still have two outstanding complaints on record from almost two months ago that have received nothing but the automated "thank you" notes from the TSA--not even form letters back yet.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by skosti
I think the Idiot is the one that wrote the note! You know rules. Grow up and live by them. Or, are your pompous statements more important?
Which rules were broken by the passenger going through Milwaukee airport in the OP? By measure of the law, none.

Do you believe that constitutionally-protected freedom of political expression should be done away, along with the rest of the Constitution, so that the government can more freely hassle people if they are critical of current public officials?

The pompous statements came from the government employees acting like little Napoleons. Do we really need more bullies to beat up on fellow Americans?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:49 pm
H2O

Originally Posted by TwinsDG
I just would like to fly without attention-seekers trying to get their mug on CNN and doing stupid stuff like this bag thing with the potential to hold up the travels of everyone else following the rules.

I have the right to safe travels - I'm not quite sure about the rights of idiots and those intentionally breaking rules and testing those hired to do a job.

If you don't like the rules, don't fly.
I wonder if the airlines would tell these attention seeking frequent flyers to not fly if they don't like the rules?

Thank you OP for standing up for your rights, and ours!
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:53 pm
Suspended

I think the Idiot is the one that wrote the note! You know rules. Grow up and live by them. Or, are your pompous statements more important?
Originally Posted by TwinsDG
I have the right to safe travels - I'm not quite sure about the rights of idiots and those intentionally breaking rules and testing those hired to do a job.
A couple of other posters have asked..what rule did the OP break? Please cite it for us. By "cite", I mean give us a reference to where we can find the exact wording that says one cannot write a non-threatening statement on their TSA baggie.

You can't do that 'cause it doesn't exist. So why don't you just stop trying to make trouble and go away?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:54 pm

We seem to be getting a lot of people who seem to think they know the rules, when in fact by their very statements this is not the case.

I'll third the other posters who have asked: what rules did the OP break? The only rule I saw broken was that of the Constitutional protection of freedom of speech, and that not by the OP but by the TSA.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by exerda
We seem to be getting a lot of people who seem to think they know the rules, when in fact by their very statements this is not the case.

I'll third the other posters who have asked: what rules did the OP break? The only rule I saw broken was that of the Constitutional protection of freedom of speech, and that not by the OP but by the TSA.
Maybe this thread will prompt a few more people to open up their eyes and to learn about the rules of the land -- those which are found in the Constitution -- and the history behind why the Founding Fathers gave us the Bill of Rights, enshrining the right to criticize public officials and their actions.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Maybe this thread will prompt a few more people to open up their eyes and to learn about the rules of the land -- those which are found in the Constitution.
Hmm. FT as an educational tool. What a concept.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
^ ^ ^ To MKE

It's about time someone in this country starts taking a stand against the injustice and incompetence that is occuring on a daily basis. "We the People" are letting this administration and it's cronnies take away or hinder our rights. When will we stop this? Do we need to have a Million Traveler March on Washington, DC?

There is a poster in another thread who said she's moving to another country where she feels she'll have a better life. This is truely sad IMO that this country will start to drive it's citizens out.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
Wow how many more first time posters are going to come to the rescue of the TSA. Thank you very much MKE for standing up for yourself and for other Frequent Flyers. Hopefully something happens to these idiots and yes your boss, Skosti, is an IDIOT.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trvlr64
^ ^ ^ To MKE

It's about time someone in this country starts taking a stand against the injustice and incompetence that is occuring on a daily basis. "We the People" are letting this administration and it's cronnies take away or hinder our rights. When will we stop this? Do we need to have a Million Traveler March on Washington, DC?

There is a poster in another thread who said she's moving to another country where she feels she'll have a better life. This is truely sad IMO that this country will start to drive it's citizens out.
People who oppose this nonsense should not leave the country. They should stand up and assert their legal rights. And they should try to get more people who are like-minded to vote, organize and/or otherwise act. We can't all be surrender monkeys like the DHS/TSA apologists want critics to be.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:06 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Kudos to the OP.

I only caught wind of this story as it was highlighted on AOL this afternoon.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This is the best idea I've seen posted in this thread. It is very easy to place custom t-shirt orders on the internet. I would be happy to coordinate. Any other takers?
I'm jumping ahed a bit (haven't read all the pages yet) but someone did this last night already:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customiz...umber=78034330

EDITThis is not my T-Shirt design and I do not stand to gain anything if it is bought by anyone. My understanding from last night was that someone else had created the custom design and had then linked to it. It's not obvious to me that the earlier poster would be getting any cut, either (there doesn't seem to be any affiliate link within the URL encoding).

Mods, please censor if this violates TOS in some way.

Last edited by pdhenry; Sep 29, 2006 at 2:21 pm
Old Sep 29, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Received about 1.5 column inches in the CLE PD today, buried in the middle of the front section.

Originally Posted by Scifience
On a side note, is this thread going to become the most viewed in FT history? It seems headed that way.
Don't make me put my "numbers geek" hat back on. We went through that with this thread.
THis one will likely take laurels for views-per-hour during its active period, but I doubt it has the legs of other mega-threads. Roughly 1,768 views/hour on averaqge since thread started. Pretty impressive.

Originally Posted by jonesing
Okay, what it the most viewed thread?
I haven't check in a while, but the top 3 seem to be:
Fare Gone thread 447,055 views
Dov-BEY thread 355,231 views
Who will be thread 314,223 views

Originally Posted by Id-rather-walk
The sad point is this: we have constitutional freedoms that are being eroded one baggie at a time.
Most tersely eloquent quote on this thread thus far.

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ (eight TSA thumbs up, one for each opening when the cavity searches begin )
Based on my recollections of anatomy, there are 9 for a male, 10 for a female, assuming you count both eyes and both nostrils.

FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if a new rule comes out requiring "transparent, unmarked baggies." Problem solved.

Last edited by JHattery; Sep 29, 2006 at 2:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.