Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:12 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
I can't take credit for inventing "Spokeshole" -- somebody else here on FT deserves the credit. But, I will take credit for first describing the boardins pass checker at the metal detector as a "moat dragon(ess)"

Good to know one's life hasn't been a complete waste and there will be something to put on the headstone...
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
To them, it's just another case of a non-compliant passenger who won't play by the rules, and, watch out or it will happen to you!
I politely disagree. "TSA spokeswoman Yolanda Clark said Bird was free to express his opinion and there is no prohibition on writing on bags."

OP DID play by the rules, according to Clark.

"I don't know his family situation at all". Family may not make much difference. Don't know about Hawley, but Chertoffs mother was an El Al FA. Guess she never told him any flying stories.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by cme2c
Where did I say there are plenty of stupid terrorists in passing through our airports everyday? I just said there were plenty of them, do you dispute that? And I would agree the TSA is stupider than many of the stupid terrorists.
Your exact words were:
Originally Posted by cme2c
What terrorist is dumb enough to write "bomb on board"? , so by that logic if someone finds a note like that on the plane they should ignore it? There are plenty of stupid terrorists. Although, you're right, I'm not so concerned about them.
If you are agreeing that there aren't plenty of stupid terrorists passing through airports, then it seems there is no justification for the TSA assuming people passing through their checkpoints are stupid terrorists and treating them as such.

It is simple logic really:
1. No smart terrorist would write a "bomb on board" note
2. No stupid terrorists are passing through airport checkpoints (or they'd have been caught)
3. Ergo, if one finds a note stating "bomb on board", it's a safe bet that note was not written by a terrorist

Also, as I said earlier, if the hordes of stupid terrorists* are out there in the world somewhere other than US airport checkpoints, why don't we have the military, FBI, and CIA out there chasing them? Why do we have the TSA manning airport security checkpoints looking for them? It reminds me of the old joke about the drunk guy looking for his keys on the sidewalk.

*I don't know if they exist or not, but for the sake of this discussion it's irrelevant.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
It's got some tough hurdles to go but on a view's per hour basis, it's far and away the best viewed thread in FT's history.
I bet this one makes Talk Mail.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta DM
CNN Link

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/28/idi...gie/index.html
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:20 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cubbandit
I've read the original message and the majority of the replies to this and I am stunned. First off, let me say that I also live in the Milwaukee Metro area and probably share the majority of the same Midwestern values that the original gentleman does. I also have been in the fire/emergency services for over 9 years. While it is true that EVERY American citizen has the right to free speech and that is a freedom that should be defended....ARE YOU KIDDING ME MAN? Did you HONESTLY think that your little stunt would create NO response? I am glad that you were detained!!! You can say anything you want, but part of that freedom comes the acceptance of any response that your comment may create.
If the bag had said, even as a joke, "Bomb components" or "Explosives inside" or something like that, what you say might make some small modicum of sense. However, a political opinion--here, "Kip Hawley is an idiot," is 100% protected speech, and detaining someone because of it or otherwise attempting to thwart the expression thereof is a complete infringement of what this country was founded upon. It disgusts me that the OP was detained for ANY length of time.

Even had the TSA screener simply seen the bag and said, "I disagree, he's not an idiot," IMHO that would be inappropriate in the situation. It is not the screener's job to respond to political opinions. If the pax had a bag that said, "Clinton is responsible for terrorism," and the screener stopped the pax to comment, "No, it's obviously Bush and Iraq that's causing our problems," that, too, would be inappopriate. They are simply not paid to engage in debates with the passengers on matters such as these.

I would have hoped/thought/prayed that the recent 5-year anniversary of the September 11th attacks would remind us of how we felt, that "kick in the stomach" feeling I think all of us had on that day and the days that followed.
I would have hoped/thought/prayed that the recent 5-year anniversary of the September 11th attacks would remind us of how hard-won our freedoms were, and perhaps make us less delighted to hand them away for the illusion of security-blanket "safety."

And that they would have reminded us that security is not and should not be something that is taken lightly. In your mind, you may have known that your written comment was nothing more than that and was not going to go any further, but the TSA personnel did not know that!!! How did they know that your message wasn't some type of message similar to a person calling in a bomb threat or some cryptic suicide note or some challenge to the TSA to see if they could find some weapon you may have been trying to get on a plane?
Hmm, let's apply some basic common sense here. It does not take anyone with an IQ over 45 to realize that "Kip Hawley is an idiot" cannot be construed in any way, shape, or form as some kind of "cryptic suicide note" or anything else you describe. You cannot honestly, for even one instant, claim that the screener reacted out of concern for a potential security threat. Even I give the front-line screeners more credit for their intelligenve than that. The screener took offense and made a power play out of it, plain and simple. There is no other valid interpretation.

You can say anything you want, WITHIN REASON, as a matter of free space. But as one person who replied stated, you can't yell "FIRE" in a crowded building. If I am standing at the gates of the White House and yell out that I think the President should be shot and killed at any chance I can get...do you think I am not going to be detained?
Ah, yes, that same tired old cannard about "yelling 'fire' in a theater." Please, if you cannot see the difference between that and what the OP wrote, I suggest you re-examine the situation again. He didn't even say, "Kip Hawley should die," which at least could be construed as some sort of threat against the TSA's leadership. Nope, he simply called Comrade Kip an idiot.

I would rather those TSA people were overly cautious and detain someone like you than to just ignored it and let you on a plane not knowing what ELSE you may have been planning.
You cannot honestly be saying that writing "Kip Hawley is an idiot" on a bag is a legitimate cause for concern. We do not live in the world of 1984, not yet, anyway.

I'm also guessing that all you people that immediately called for the original gentlemant to call the media and call the ACLU, if this guy had been let onto the plane with NO questions asked and had been carrying a bomb or something as a test of the TSA or as a further political statement, you would have been crying to the media that the TSA wasn't doing its job and how could they not have seen the warning signs that this guy might have been testing the security system.
This again?! I don't think a single one of us would EVER call this a "warning sign," and ask how the TSA "missed it" had the OP been a suicide bomber who successfully carried out a bombing. I don't get why people keep making this "point"; the only ones who would be criticising the TSA should such a fantasy scenario play out would be those making this same statement.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
Probably the best written article yet.

Still glosses over the first amendment violation though.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:23 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
maybe the President shooting comment was an extreme. But in my fire career I know I have detained people for pulling fire alarms as a prank and questioned them...I don't think that is any different that "Kip is an Idiot".
Pulling a fire alarm as a prank IS like shouting "Fire!" in a theater. Writing "Kip Hawley is an idiot" is NOT. The distinction should not be that hard to see.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
My 2 cents:

OP was playing an undeniably funny practical joke. As practical jokes tend to do, this one hurt someone's feelings. Insulting someone whom you are relying on to provide you a service is both antisocial and ill-advised, even if the insult is completely true.

The law protects our right to be anti-social and insult people, but that doesn't make it either a good idea or a nice thing to do. That said, the TSA people were way out of line in taking the bait.

OP is like the city slicker who walks into a country bar, insults the whole town, and gets his block knocked off. He has every right to press charges, but in my book he's still the primary cause of the incident. He's using his rights as a sword rather than a shield.

And to think some people applaud this sort of thing.
I've read the original message and the majority of the replies to this and I am stunned. First off, let me say that I also live in the Milwaukee Metro area and probably share the majority of the same Midwestern values that the original gentleman does. I also have been in the fire/emergency services for over 9 years.
You are BOTH WRONG and you know it.

In Saddam's Iraq, people were tortured for disagreeing with Saddam. Secret police spied on the people and made sure any trouble makers (ie those who disagreed with Saddam or spoke out about his policies or even that he is an idiot) were promptly thrown into prison and executed.

You guys are going down a slippery slope, where now non-threatening disagreement with the TSA figures / public officials require detainment??

You guys have no idea what it means to be repressed. It is sheep like you that will eventually give the government more power to repress its people.

Boo to your posts...
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:32 am

A couple points about this topic:

First, 25 minutes, realistically speaking, is not that long of a time to be detained. Regardless of how stupid it was to detain you over writing something on a bag, it could have been a lot worse...

BUT, that being said, where did freedom of speech go? All of a sudden, we're fighting "terrorists" because they "hate us because we're free", but we can't even speak our minds anymore? There are protective laws for journalists, even, but you can't write something on your own property without someone likening it to a bomb threat? What is that nonsense?!

Apparently Kip Hawley's ego is either so big, or his esteem so fragile that he can't handle someone calling him names. So, he hires people to protect him from slander written on a toiletries bag? This is very sad.

Furthermore, since when is it a detainable offense that someone write out their feelings on their own property? Is that to say that if someone who were angry or sad or depressed kept a journal and took said journal on an airplane, and said journal just happened to open up while said person's carry-ons were being searched, and it opened to a page where the person had written "my boss is such a jerk" - that would be grounds for detaining this person and questioning them about their dislike for their boss?

Since when are airports little Vatican Cities where citizens don't have the same rights within the walls as they do outside of them? I can still listen to Bob Dylan's Masters of War inside the airport. You can still buy a nudey magazine, and, if you're brave enough, read it while waiting for your plane. If they're going to make new rules, to include who it is okay to dislike and talk about it - maybe they should be posted on your way in.

And finally, I guess I can see why the Secret Service would investigate vocal dislike of, say, the president or the pope, but the head of the TSA? I don't remember electing this person, or praying about his promotion to "head" of an organization. Since when is calling him an idiot a big deal?

It makes him look like a bigger idiot when his minions pull this kind of crap.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1amwendy
Wow. I sympathize. I haven't flown for about two years because of the TSA. I have an artificial leg with metal components from the knee to the ankle. I seem to have significant issues with the TSA deciding to place their grubby little hands all over my torso (and I mean ALL OVER) and having me take off my clothes because of it - being a female, you catch my drift. Why the TSA infers that having metal from the knee to ankle somehow infers that I potentially have explosives strapped beneath my lycra-laced T-shirt is totally beyond me. Last I tried to fly I indicated that my 4th amendment rights were being violated (and I have lots of legal precedent upon which to rely), to which the TSA froze my access to kiosk check-in - that was confirmed by the TSA official who after about an hour after our conversation actually agreed with me but was powerless to act. I filed a lawsuit that was sidestepped by a federal judge after 13 months, stating jurisdictional issues. So I'm going to go at it again - the lawsuit, that is. I am pretty frustrated that logic is being replaced by a fear-based over-reaction by governmental officials. I want to be as safe as anyone else. However, I have watched as wheel-chair-bound para-athletes have had their arms and torsos checked instead of their chairs, as my own body has been checked instead of the prosthesis that generated the metal alarm has been checked... it's an affront that in any other setting would be considered an assault upon my person at the worst, harassment at least. You guys that run through security checkpoints for a living probably never have the opportunity to watch the pull-over line. It's a travesty, and believe me, you are none the safer for the procedures being foisted upon those of us with metal assists. Oh - by the way, in my prior life I was a consultant. I made eight trips in an 8-week window, all of which has come to a screeching halt. So I've really put my money where my mouth is. Can't public demands for logic and reason take hold? We did manage finally to oust McCarthy. Can we do it again and bring America back closer to its - our - true values?
Welcome to FT, Wendy.

May I ask if you are the woman who was required to take her slacks off to prove to the TSA that she wore a prosthetic?

My hat is off to you for taking a firm stand. ^ ^ ^

Last edited by doober; Sep 29, 2006 at 9:43 am Reason: spelling
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by 1amwendy
Wow. I sympathize. I haven't flown for about two years because of the TSA. I have an artificial leg with metal components from the knee to the ankle. I seem to have significant issues with the TSA deciding to place their grubby little hands all over my torso (and I mean ALL OVER) and having me take off my clothes because of it - being a female, you catch my drift. Why the TSA infers that having metal from the knee to ankle somehow infers that I potentially have explosives strapped beneath my lycra-laced T-shirt is totally beyond me. Last I tried to fly I indicated that my 4th amendment rights were being violated (and I have lots of legal precedent upon which to rely), to which the TSA froze my access to kiosk check-in - that was confirmed by the TSA official who after about an hour after our conversation actually agreed with me but was powerless to act. I filed a lawsuit that was sidestepped by a federal judge after 13 months, stating jurisdictional issues. So I'm going to go at it again - the lawsuit, that is. I am pretty frustrated that logic is being replaced by a fear-based over-reaction by governmental officials. I want to be as safe as anyone else. However, I have watched as wheel-chair-bound para-athletes have had their arms and torsos checked instead of their chairs, as my own body has been checked instead of the prosthesis that generated the metal alarm has been checked... it's an affront that in any other setting would be considered an assault upon my person at the worst, harassment at least. You guys that run through security checkpoints for a living probably never have the opportunity to watch the pull-over line. It's a travesty, and believe me, you are none the safer for the procedures being foisted upon those of us with metal assists. Oh - by the way, in my prior life I was a consultant. I made eight trips in an 8-week window, all of which has come to a screeching halt. So I've really put my money where my mouth is. Can't public demands for logic and reason take hold? We did manage finally to oust McCarthy. Can we do it again and bring America back closer to its - our - true values?
Thank you for your story. Earlier in this thread a member of the ACLU who has a record of standing up for fliers rights listed his contact information. I hope you contact him.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by FreidaK
Since when are airports little Vatican Cities where citizens don't have the same rights within the walls as they do outside of them?
Since 1992, when the Supreme Court ruled that airports were not public forums and Hare Krishnas could therefore be restricted from soliciting donations.

That said, the TSA is still out of control. Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonesing
hmmmm the local MKE paper just now ran an article:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=506315

At least the sheriff's office aren't badmouthing the citizen.
But they did call him a citizen, Citizen.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:52 am

Thumbs down What is wrong with you people?

You people are unbelievable. You complain that the president didn't do enough to prevent the 9/11 attack and now you are complaining about airport security measures because they are inconvenient to you. The security measures are there for your own protection. Honestly, it is getting to the point where some of you don't deserve any of your constitutionally protected rights because you are abusing them. Yes, you have free speech but the officer was correct. At the airport, your individual rights don't mean anything; unless of course, you think you are more important than every other person getting on that plane. That officer was doing his job. He was just making sure that everything was safe. You should know by now that anything that could be even close to threatening has to be investigated. Stop whining. Make yourself useful. If the security measures at airports are a problem for you then don't fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.