Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
If a company mass merchandises a product which smears an individual, is that in a different legal category to someone writing such a thing on a bag for their own purposes? Is there liability involved in saying such a thing and making money from calling someone a name?

BTW, if Cafepress makes a 2XL with the offending phrase in Arabic and English on the front, I might get one.
Hawley is a public figure and, in the US, public figures are "fair game" in that they have limited recourse (other than harassment suits that will generally fail) when it comes to things like being called an idiot. If Hawley didn't want to be a public figure, he should never have taken the job he took or gotten in front of the cameras in the way he has.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:29 am
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hawley is a public figure and, in the US, public figures are "fair game" in that they have limited recourse (other than harassment suits that will generally fail) when it comes to things like being called an idiot. If Hawley didn't want to be a public figure, he should never have taken the job he took or gotten in front of the cameras in the way he has.
Yep, if ridicule of public figures was prohibited, I can think of several stores in DC-area malls that would be out of business... there is one in Pentagon City I am thinking of in particular.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:06 pm

So in the two articles in which the TSA has responded, the first says that the TSA did not detain the OP and the CNN story says that he was detained only a few minutes. Either we are talking semantics, the TSA doesn't have its story together or the reporters don't have it right.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ND Sol
So in the two articles in which the TSA has responded, the first says that the TSA did not detain the OP and the CNN story says that he was detained only a few minutes. Either we are talking semantics, the TSA doesn't have its story together or the reporters don't have it right.
It's the TSA's smoke and mirrors that bother me the most.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:11 pm

Similar incident

It's very similar to what happened to me a few months ago: I was detained by MWAA police at Dulles after I tried to find out who the people were who wanted to look at my passport, and claimed to be, then admitted they weren't, TSA employees. Lacking any legal basis for a demand or search for evidence of my identity, the TSA called in the police, then used the detention by local police as a pretext to get a copy of my passport and check out my NCIC file.

I got a promise from the TSA privacy officer to "look into" what had happened to me, then an (un)responsive brush-off that gave no evidence he'd even read my complaint carefully, much less done any investigating. I got some information in response to FOIA requests, including the fact that the TSA used "SPOT" behavioral profiling as the excuse for calling the cops on me. (SPOT covers a multitude of sins.) I have follow-up FOIA requests pending, but in the meantime the TSA has moved to exempt the relevant records from the Privacy Act. And I've still gotten no information as to what, if any, recourse is (supposed to be) available.

More info here.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:29 am
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ehasbrouck
I got a promise from the TSA privacy officer to "look into" what had happened to me
Did you contact your congressman?
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bart
There's such a thing called "the fog of war." Initial reports are always spotty. And it could also be a case of semantics. "Detention" has one meaning to police officers (who say the OP was not detained) but it has a completely different meaning to the OP (who, if not permitted to proceed immediately after clearing screening would then believe he was being detained).
From the two reports that I read, it was the TSA in both that made the statements. In fact, the statement was that the TSA had not detained him. I don't recall reading anything about an LEO making a comment saying the OP was not detained.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
We've got several moderators monitoring this thread tonight so we ask everybody to stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks.
This thread is growing at 1K views per hour and we don't all need or want to deal with off-topic posts and insults.

Thanks for your continuing cooperation.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:25 pm
Suspended

It's very similar to what happened to me a few months ago: I was detained by MWAA police at Dulles after I tried to find out who the people were who wanted to look at my passport, and claimed to be, then admitted they weren't, TSA employees. Lacking any legal basis for a demand or search for evidence of my identity, the TSA called in the police, then used the detention by local police as a pretext to get a copy of my passport and check out my NCIC file.

I got a promise from the TSA privacy officer to "look into" what had happened to me, then an (un)responsive brush-off that gave no evidence he'd even read my complaint carefully, much less done any investigating. I got some information in response to FOIA requests, including the fact that the TSA used "SPOT" behavioral profiling as the excuse for calling the cops on me. (SPOT covers a multitude of sins.) I have follow-up FOIA requests pending, but in the meantime the TSA has moved to exempt the relevant records from the Privacy Act. And I've still gotten no information as to what, if any, recourse is (supposed to be) available.

More info here.
Welcome to FT.

I must applaud you for following up on a matter of concern to you in the way you seem intent. ^^

I'm also glad to see that the OP decided to deal with the media to get this out there. (It's not always an easy thing to do, especially when it means being quoted by your name rather than just as "an anonymous source".)
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Bart
My recurring criticism of TSA has always been its weak leadership throughout its structure. There's a checklist mentality as opposed to leadership that is truly involved with what's going on.

Incidents such as this are indicators of such leadership weaknesses. Rather than react defensively, as apparently is the case based on the CNN article, a strong leader would take a more proactive stance and have the courage to admit that there may be problems in Milwaukee that need further attention.
A fish rots from the head, and as you quite rightly point out, meaningful leadership is surely lacking at TSA in particular and DHS in general. In my experience, the only effective way to get TSA to do the right thing is by publicly humiliating them until they cave. Pressure is all they understand.

If thousands of FFers write 'love letters' to TSA during Ziplock Security Theater, and that draws attention to the incredible stupidity of restricting fluids and toiletries, then this can only be a good thing: the devil hates to be mocked.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:28 am
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 5, 2008 at 9:28 am
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion

More info here.
I found your report both enlightening and sad. Thanks for sharing it. I also hadn't heard about this site:

http://www.kiphawleyisanidiot.com/

Thanks for the link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.