Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:24 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is no laughing matter....this incident was a seditious violation of your Constitutional rights by the parties involved and you need to be proactive to make sure the TSA doesn't escalate this internally to the point where you end up on a watch list or are barred from flying outright.
In fact, it would seem a violation of several Constitutional rights, IMHO. Violation of freedom of speech (and in no way can "Kip Hawley is an idiot" be construed to be prohibited speech at a checkpoint, unlike the "jokes" the TSA constantly warns us about making), and illegal detainment to name a couple, and attempted illegal seizure to boot.

The TSA does have a civil rights hotline you can file a complaint with, but IME they do not respond in any way, shape, or form to e-mails sent there.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:25 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by exerda
The TSA does have a civil rights hotline you can file a complaint with, but IME they do not respond in any way, shape, or form to e-mails sent there.
That's pretty much 'write-only' memory.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by themicah
Both the TSA guy and the deputy technically are right: there are limits to your First Amendment rights. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater and speech that could be interpreted as a threat (or "fighting words") can be restricted.

That said, it's idiotic to think that "Kip Hawley is an idiot" = a threat. I suppose Mr. Hawley should be proud of his minions, however, for at least being consistent.
They are only right so far as that there do exist limits; they are completely wrong that the speech in question violated those limits. I wouldn't even go so far as to call them "technically right"; an apt analogy would be if the screener said, "You require oxygen to survive," in conjunction with telling the OP he couldn't write "Kip Hawley is an idiot" on his bag. One condition has nothing to do with the other.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by exerda
(and in no way can "Kip Hawley is an idiot" be construed to be prohibited speech at a checkpoint, unlike the "jokes" the TSA constantly warns us about making)
"What's that written on the bag? Some kind of joke?"
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by kaukau
It's all heresay. As galling as it is. All heresay. Am I wrong? Hard to prove a suit, but makes a great story.
There will be the written reports (however slanted they might be). At least the cop's report should be accessible under FOI requests; the TSA will probably claim SSI regarding their report.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bart
My remark about kids playing pretend was aimed at those who believe that there should be a widespread effort to write "Kip Hawley is an idiot" on plastic bags as a form of protest. That's pretty wimpy stuff. If they're serious about this issue, then step to the front and organize action groups to tackle it head-on. Organize committees to speak to airline heads, DHS, Congresspersons, etc. to push this issue.

But scrawling a childish little playground taunt on a plastic bag? C'mon.
It takes a person with a childish mentality to get taunted by so little as some far-off political figure being called an idiot. A reasonable adult in a free country would be amused by it and/or downplay/dismiss it or simply ignore it (for any of a variety of reasons).

An adult would not be taunted by it.

Only someone with a socially ill-adjusted child's mentality would behave like a bully on "Company time" just because some character on TV was being called an idiot.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:31 am

Now, now, the only jokes that are prohibited are those related to airport security, things like saying, "It's not like I'm carrying a bomb!" or, "Why don't you search for the gun in my pocket?"

Then again, the TSA is itself a joke and ought to be prohibited by their rules.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:34 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Actually, imo, most employees agree the boss is an idiot! "Pays me spit, rides around in a limo." etc.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Jokes that are peaceful forms of political expression are protected under the Constitution of our country.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
It translated back to "Kip Hawley is foolish" so I accepted it.
Yeah, it would, but the construction was awkward. である on the end was just strange. Also, it put part of his name into katakana (the Japanese script for foreign names/words) but left Hawley in English.

Anyway, and more on topic: I hope the OP follows up with some of the journalists / the person from the ACLU who have posted in this thread. This may be a good chance to draw some national attention to the absurdity of the TSA's rules.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:35 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Bart
But scrawling a childish little playground taunt on a plastic bag? C'mon.
Its upto you what you make of it, but I think its a valid form of protest.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Leslie Miller
I'm a reporter for Associated Press and I'm very interested in hearing your story. You can email me at [email protected].
Obviously one hell of an enterprise piece. The best you'll get from the TSA will likely be a stonewall citing privacy or national security. I was very, very glad to see the AP express interest in this. This story, once vetted, shoudl move quote widely.

To the OP, I urge you in the strongest possible terms to take the AP up on their interview request and also to allow the ACLU to persue this. This could be the equivalent to Rosa Parks in the brave new world...

--PP

Originally Posted by Ari
Really? I didn't know that. (I guess it hasn't come up in my case). What's that about?
Though I don't know the specifics of the IRS case discussed, I have seen evidence of something similar:

Earlier this summer, I heard a news piece about a guy from California who got a parking ticket in Michigan while on a trip. He sent the check to them with something along the lines of, "[minor swear word here] Money Grab" on the "memo" line of the check.

The Michigan court then issued him a summons for some ridiculous offense (contempt of court), and he had to travel back there and pay a larger fine to avoid jail time. IMHO, it was a blatant abuse of power by the Michigan authorities.

Edited: I saw bollar linked to the Digg thread on this particular incident.

Last edited by exerda; Sep 27, 2006 at 10:47 am Reason: saw a link to this case back in post #70
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Scifience
Yeah, it would, but the construction was awkward. である on the end was just strange. Also, it put part of his name into katakana (the Japanese script for foreign names/words) but left Hawley in English.
Japan's culture is one of extreme politeness. Perhaps there is no way to translate such profanity properly into Japanese...
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by stevenshev
Um...not to be contrarian, but why the hell would you unnecessaily make a seen and thereby, even if incorrectly on their part, waste the time of TSA/Police Officers who could spend their time doing "better things." Yes, they are clueless as to your rights, but at the same time, yes, you are an ... for not making the process as simple as possible for everyone involved. No offense intended, just a statement of my humble opinion.
I can't fault the OP for his actions. I doubt I'd do what he did, but then again, he didn't do it with the intention of "wasting" the TSA's time. I seriously doubt he ever expected to be detained for 25 minutes+ by the TSA and local LEOs over his statement.

I'm not even sure you can qualify this as a waste of the TSA's time, since they're the idiots who proved the OP's statement actually applies to at least the several TSA employees in question in addition to Kip Hawley.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.