Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:20 pm

yes. simple grammar error. I wasn't calling you out. I was just correcting what I said
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Geez, glad you found "stuff" today, it doesn't mean you (or your fellow tsa'ers) found it all, nor does it mean you're able to catch it when it really counts. You've never been put to the test and I don't have much faith in y'all passing should that time again (and hoping very much it never does). Although should the unmentionable occur again, I'm sure "spin" would be very much in evidence and somehow it just wouldn't be the TSAs fault - your agency is after all so very good at playing that card already.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:24 pm

Who are you to decide "when it really counts?" You never know "when it rally counts" until after we have had a national incident. Who knows what the dude with the gun was planning to do with it. Just a week ago, we caught a guy in Orlando wit all of the components necessary to assemble a bomb.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by el100783
You are unaware of all of the facts, sir. the tester are TSA reps, and know how to smuggle stuff through so that it will not be found. They don't do it to make us look bad, but rather to highlight some flaws in the policy, and get them changed.
Couldn't a terrorist smuggle the same objects through? They probably would not be doing it, though, to highlight flaws in policy.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:32 pm

To be perfectly honest, yes they could, and that is why the testers do it. they are making an effort to show where the flaws are, so that they can be changed. Also, we are not the final, and sole line of security. We are simply a "layer" of security set out to statistically reduce the odds of someone successfully carrying out a act of violence. If you don't agree with the policies, you are free to go Greyhound, or take a boat. Flying on a privately owned US Airways 737 is a privilege, not a right

Last edited by el100783; Apr 7, 2008 at 3:38 pm
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:35 pm

we could work airport security like Israel, and just toss everyones bags completely, then search them like a common thug. That would be perfectly legal, as a condition of entry, but TSA sacrifices security for the sake of courtesy.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:38 pm

With that said, I am off to take a calculus exam ( believe it or not, we're not all idiots), and bid thee good day, sir.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
el100783 meet SMF TSO. SMF TSO meet el100783.

TSA sacrifices security for the sake of courtesy.
Congratulations, I'm speechless.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
we could work airport security like Israel, and just toss everyones bags completely, then search them like a common thug. That would be perfectly legal, as a condition of entry, but TSA sacrifices security for the sake of courtesy.
Where'd you get your facts? That is not what Israel does.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:00 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Flying on a privately owned US Airways 737 is a privilege, not a right
Well, I don't fly US anymore so that's not a problem... however, flying is a right

Lets see... the air above me is US airspace. I'm a US citizen.

US Airspace + US Citizen = right to fly.

OMG!

And look, that research stuff you mentioned... I did it!

Title 49 of the U.S Code: Section 40103. Sovereignty and use of airspace
(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit. - (1) The United
States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the
United States.
(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit
through the navigable airspace.
To further that right, the
Secretary of Transportation shall consult with the Architectural
and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board established under
section 502 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 U.S.C. 792)
before prescribing a regulation or issuing an order or procedure
that will have a significant impact on the accessibility of
commercial airports or commercial air transportation for
handicapped individuals.
Sadly though, DHS (as well as the entire Bush administration) seems to view the laws of the land as something it can spit on.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:01 pm
mkt

different country, different laws... and still not how Israel does things.

Because of the TSA, I've switched most of my travel within the Caribbean to charters that fly out of SIG to avoid the hassles involved with the TSA.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:03 pm
mkt

With that said, I am off to take a calculus exam ( believe it or not, we're not all idiots), and bid thee good day, sir.
Calc... that was a fun class.

Do well in your exam. Perhaps you can get a real job then.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:04 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk. Look around a bit...

Just a week ago, we caught a guy in Orlando wit all of the components necessary to assemble a bomb.
We noticed that here. Also commented on the TSA Blog. (look around a bit as I'm not used to posting links here.)

Welcome to FlyerTalk. Read a bit and perhaps take a deep breath before you tee off on the community here. A lot of people have expressed legit complaints about your agency. A lot of other people make rational counter-points that don't read like shouting. In fact, taking a less oppositional/indignant approach to joining conversations here will likely be greeted with general respect and openness.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:51 pm
Suspended

but TSA sacrifices security for the sake of courtesy.
May I ask what you smoke as I too would like to be transported to another world.

LEX-LGA, I didn't see that you'd asked the same question as I did before I posted - did you get an answer?

Last edited by doober; Apr 7, 2008 at 5:13 pm Reason: just read LEX-LGA's post re smoking
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Hey, if I passed calculus, anyone can - so don't strain your arm patting yourself on the back. (And I'm smarter than you 'cause I don't work for the TSA.)

Actually, forget about calculus, you really need some more study in the use of proper English grammar and spelling.

Last edited by doober; Apr 7, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.