Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:10 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
No. Because it is much easier to get a 50 kilo bomb in the cargo hold than a 1 kilo bomb in the pressurized cabin. (and, if you fail to get it on board, the risk factor of getting caught with the cargo bomb is significantly smaller, so you can try again next week).

That certainly tilts the balance.
Gargoyle, that is simply not true. Skipping the numbers like 50 kilo. First if you fail or succeed you have left multiple clues. You are probably on cameras, you have left finger prints and info on the shipping forms and many other minor things. Look how fast the spanish and english cracked the bombings. If you fail you have a bomb left in the system that will be inspected once no one claims it or is contactable about it not being claimed. Will they be stupid enough to go and try and claim it like the deposit on the first world trade center van? You don't launch this typoe of operation until you have practiced building and detonating the bombs. Not always easy and even less so after Oklahoma City in the US. Then you have to put a team in position, either create fake identities or figure your operatives are blown. Actually probably blown even with fake ids. To have any success with a timer you will need to use the airlines cargo service which if not a known shipper, you will probably have it scanned. If you use a shipping service, the bomb needs to be more durable and more likely to detonate when it is not at altitude. this is not easy. there are estimated to be maybe 10K or more people that have gone through camps in afganistan, phillipines, balkans, chechnya and other places. Yet very few successful attacks on aviation. I am sure that is because they want spectaculars, instead of a small town mall bombing but still there are alot of people with basic explosive skills and we do not have cargo bombs going off, and the few that have are probably libyan or maybe with air india, pakistani ISI. No one has ever claimed them involved but the groups suggested have probably had advanced training from them. So again it is no where near as simple as you want to believe it and will cause more disruptions than now. Or maybe you want to massively jack the price of your ticket by the airlines not carrying any cargo?
Oh and I am not saying we should not look at technologies including trusted shipper type softwares and improved scanning. I am just saying it is fools money spending billions on screeneing cargo with equipment that will need to be replaced and maybe is not effective. Also most suggestions on scanning will occur at airports and be occuring alongside your bags. If things get held up, how likely is your bag and maybe flights to be delayed or you be required to show up even earlier for check in?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:44 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by robvberg
I am not sure why other than to push buttons you would say you are doing this to exercise your first amendment rights. You could have done the same thing by holding a sign outside an airport, in washington dc etc. You only put this as noted by others in a place that could be seen by a TSA agent. You are putting it to the one person who really has limited input in the policies. This action is no different than when the KKK goes to protest in a minority or jewish area, when the orange order marches through a catholic area of belfast. they are doing it to provoke a response. the response was overboard. Do I believe that Mke was hyped up and a little comabtive, yes. You can read it in his own words. He says don't I have a right to say what I want. He is intelligent and I am sure kept his voice even but he was looking for a reaction and got it. If that is what he and others want great. You did not right this down knowing they would be seen and not expect a reaction. that is not even plausible.

What you don't want to admit is that someone who says they are fedup and pushed by the security stupidy, rough quote? is a possible threat. I seem to be hearing that the guy who went off yesterday and killed the girls said that he was just tired and had to make a statement/ get revenge for some incident before. AGAIN BEFORE FLAMING ME, I do not think Mke or any of the others are going to go on a rampage over this. You are just pieved, but someone that has pent up frustrations who gets a little drunk could easily become combative on a flight. To just completely ignore your statement without atleast thinking and looking at the passenger, would be wrong. just as not atleast thinking that the guy in the irish bar with a shirt saying PARAs 12 bogsiders 0 is out to cause a scene. (Me after having the IRA rocket heathrow as my plane was landing.)
I agree with most of this.

And I am curious. Since you seem to have some technical expertise about security issues - what would be the top 5 things you would do to improve security in terms of screening things (not people - I'm in favor of profiling people but that is a different issue than screening things). From a US perspective. At the gate - or in checked baggage. And forget about the exploding laptop batteries - that isn't a security issue - it's a safety issue.

I invite other people to list their top 5 things too.

We have to keep in mind that the United States is somewhat unusual. It is a pretty large country - and there is a lot of airline travel within the country - passengers and baggage who don't go through immigration/customs. In countries which are smaller geographically - a lot of mass transit within a country is by rail (and I've seen no evidence of any security in rail travel in those countries outside the US that I've visited recently). I think that - in general - people are more willing to go through rigorous security when they are traveling between countries - and not within countries. So it's important to get the most bang for the buck (and the time spent) in security procedures when talking about air travel within the US. Robyn
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Gargoyle, that is simply not true.
Actually what Gargoyle said, in that part of the post you quoted, is generally true when it comes to aviation. Your assertion, that it's simply not true, is more false than true. More conditions would have to be attached to your scenario than to his for yours to be correct.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:53 pm

I've missed a few posts in this thread, so this may been have been covered already; there is now a website devoted to this topic: http://www.kiphawleyisanidiot.com/

BTW, a yahoo search now shows over 82000 hits for "kip hawley is an idiot"!

Didn't think of it until now, but I am reminded of an old joke from the Soviet era. A drunken man is arrested after running through Red Square and shouting "Breshnev is an idiot"!. He was sentenced to 15 days for disturbing the peace and 15 years for revealing a state secret.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by robyng

And I am curious. Since you seem to have some technical expertise about security issues - what would be the top 5 things you would do to improve security in terms of screening things (not people - I'm in favor of profiling people but that is a different issue than screening things). From a US perspective. At the gate - or in checked baggage. And forget about the exploding laptop batteries - that isn't a security issue - it's a safety issue.

We have to keep in mind that the United States is somewhat unusual. It is a pretty large country - and there is a lot of airline travel within the country - passengers and baggage who don't go through immigration/customs. In countries which are smaller geographically - a lot of mass transit within a country is by rail (and I've seen no evidence of any security in rail travel in those countries outside the US that I've visited recently). I think that - in general - people are more willing to go through rigorous security when they are traveling between countries - and not within countries. So it's important to get the most bang for the buck (and the time spent) in security procedures when talking about air travel within the US. Robyn
Two simple improvements related to the OP's circumstances? Get rid of these stupid rules of 3ozs but not 6ozs, ok with plastic bags but not ok without. Hold government accountable for harassing someone just because they have written a constitutionally-protected opinion about a public official.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:02 pm

WHat are you talking about????

Originally Posted by fester
Do you believe you should be exempt because you're a U.S. Citizen? That's crap. I busted far more U.S. Citizen's smuggling narcotics than I ever did foreign nationals.

ETA: Now, back on topic.
I was talking about the Attitudes and unrelated questions ... I never mentioned narcotics or my not presenting my bags for inspections...
I suppose you're response about the "US Citizen exemption Crap" was the gen. attitude I was posting frustration with...
remember who works for who... and to be disrespectful to me will never play well.....
Keep to the point at hand... the TSA, Customs and Border security... "the Whole of the Dept. of Homeland Security"... ARE a Joke and Are played on U.S. Citizens... you know ... the "U.S". .. that pays for all of these impish minions and their tactics...
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
I couldn't care less if the IRS showed up at my door to hassle me.
Well perhaps you have a lot of spare time and you don't mind having it wasted. That's fine for you, but not for many of the rest of us.

Would you be so willing to be detained if you missed your flight and had to wait a few hours or even overnight (at your own expense in a hotel or free on the airport floor) for the next flight? As I asked above - where do you draw the line on the government's "right" to punish people for dissent?

Knowing that, how can you be surprised when you are detained (in the loosest sense of the word)?
I can be surprised because it's unconstitutional and contrary to the values and ideals of this country.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
I am sure that is because they want spectaculars, instead of a small town mall bombing but still there are alot of people with basic explosive skills and we do not have cargo bombs going off, and the few that have are probably libyan or maybe with air india, pakistani ISI.
OK, they want spectacular- it's easy. Per the book "The Outlaw Seas" as of 5 or 6 years ago Bin Laden owned at least one, perhaps as many as 20, ocean freighters. Also, that book describes how easy it is to hijack a freighter- happens pretty often in SE Asia.

So, run an oil tanker or a freighter full of fertilizer into a major US port, and blow it up. Seriously spectacular, and quite feasable. But we're too busy confiscating toothpaste tubes to prepare for that one.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People like you bother me. You're all about your rights being looked after, but when someone else expresses concern over THEIR rights, you seem to think you are more important.
But you see, the "their" you're referring to are people who think it is their right to limit my rights. And generally they want to do so in ways that does nothing to improve security.

I feel that my freedom is being protected if they SSSSSearch the Arab looking guy or pull aside the guy with the practical joke. That's my constitutional right.
You can feel however you want - that's your right. But the government can't violate everyone else's rights just to please you.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:12 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
Originally Posted by robyng

I am not completely sure I can answer this effectively. Not without pulling out alot of studying again. I would probably look at some modifications to screening. But as someone mentioned above. It is important to work on logically securing the rest of the airport and some of the other weak spots. To be honest I think aircraft have dropped in overall danger but we need to work at disrupting the groups earlier. Some of that is based on profiling and disruption. undecover and intel gathering. It is nearly impossible to stop a well planned op through defensive security measures. You can only make it difficult to succeed. And then hopefully roll up the attackers after. As many have said after the kennedy assassination, you can not protect someone if the attackers are determined enough. the same is true here.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Because it is much easier to get a 50 kilo bomb in the cargo hold than a 1 kilo bomb in the pressurized cabin.
The hold is pressurized. Any in any case, it only took a pound of explosives to bring down Pan Am 103.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:18 pm

OK, they want spectacular- it's easy. Per the book "The Outlaw Seas" as of 5 or 6 years ago Bin Laden owned at least one, perhaps as many as 20, ocean freighters. Also, that book describes how easy it is to hijack a freighter- happens pretty often in SE Asia.

So, run an oil tanker or a freighter full of fertilizer into a major US port, and blow it up. Seriously spectacular, and quite feasable. But we're too busy confiscating toothpaste tubes to prepare for that one.
U.S. ports are fairly secure in that area, your scenario [edit] in the u.s. [/edit] is highly unlikely. I know this because I have directly dealt with the idiosyncrasies of port perimeter and interior security. However, what's coming into the country on the containers is a concern. Without going into too much detail, we do have fairly intricate and effective algorithms as far as how we search our containers but since it's still based on a pseudo-random search instead of searching everything there are loopholes.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
I just noticed your location is Northern S. Africa ... are you an american citizen living over there? visiting? How often are you actually in the states?
I was travelling there so i put it in my location, been to lazy to change it. I'm a U.S. (America is a continent) Citizen living in the U.S.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without going into too much detail, we do have fairly intricate and effective algorithms as far as how we search our containers but since it's still based on a pseudo-random search instead of searching everything there are loopholes.
Anyone can get around the search criteria fairly easily.

ABC's Brian Ross was able to get depleted uranium artillery shells (which emit radiation grossly similar to what a nuclear weapon would) in through cargo containers twice.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
The original baggie pass though security for the third time today, this time at MKE concourse D.

No comment from the lone TSA employee who saw it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.