Wiki Posts
Search

NY Times Editorial Advocates Carry-On Ban

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
I can be productive without a laptop on an airplane - they're a fairly recent innovation, you know? I have documents (printed) to read, magazines to catch up on (I usually hit the RDU/LGW flight with 15+ magazines), and can always spend a productive few hours with a legal pad thinking about my groups task horizon.

I'm not saying that I'd like this fully globally enforced, but it woudn't be the end of the world.
One thing I use my laptop for is writing and editing while flying. Yeah, I could do that on hard-copies and with pen & paper... but then I would have to waste time transferring back to electronic media afterwards. No, thank you, NY Times.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
Originally Posted by TierFlyer
If you can do your business with 60% fewer travel days then you are a lucky lucky man, and must be wondering why you squandered all that time and money when you could have been home.
I said I cut my air travel; not my travel in general.

- Alan
Old Sep 12, 2006, 5:24 am
Suspended

No letters printed in response to editorial

The NY Times has not printed one letter, that I can find, either in support of or opposition to the editorial which is the subject of this thread.

Makes me believe even more that it was a piece written at the request of DHS.

---

Could this have been a trial balloon to attempt to determine how the flying public would view such a ban with the Times sharing the letters with DHS? I'm getting so cynical that I would not be surprised if this were the case.

Last edited by doober; Sep 12, 2006 at 6:48 am Reason: additional thought
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by doober
The NY Times has not printed one letter, that I can find, either in support of or opposition to the editorial which is the subject of this thread.

---

Could this have been a trial balloon to attempt to determine how the flying public would view such a ban with the Times sharing the letters with DHS? I'm getting so cynical that I would not be surprised if this were the case.
Isn't there a journalistic tradition - nare I say a requirement - that a newspaper accept and publish supporting and opposing viewpoints to an editorial piece?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Isn't there a journalistic tradition - nare I say a requirement - that a newspaper accept and publish supporting and opposing viewpoints to an editorial piece?
Yes - and no. They should publish both viewpoints, but don't have to publish either.

I looked at op eds and found one entitled "Carry On". Thinking it was about the Time's proposal re: carry-ons, I opened it and read it. The piece focused on life after terrorists attacks and how we carry on with such.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 9:21 am

---
The Times usually has a lag time of a few days for letters to accrue, editors to trim and decide which ones to print. Often, letters responding to a piece on a Sunday will be published the following Sunday.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:18 pm

I just read this editorial today when it was printed in the Herald Tribune. My immediate reaction was: Why should reading materials be allowed as carry-ons? I would imagine that the pages of a newspaper can be saturated with an explosive material.

Idiots. (And I have a subscription.)
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PD
Why? I don't get it. I'm asking myself why I would want to continue to pay good money for this kind of nonsense.
I trust you've come to the appropriate conclusion by now
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
The Times usually has a lag time of a few days for letters to accrue, editors to trim and decide which ones to print. Often, letters responding to a piece on a Sunday will be published the following Sunday.
There have been several replies to articles from Sept. 11 and Sept. 12, but so far nothing on the editorial that is the subject of this thread.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Here is a profile of Bill Keller:

http://tinyurl.com/fdbr5
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:07 am

There have been several replies to articles from Sept. 11 and Sept. 12, but so far nothing on the editorial that is the subject of this thread.
The NYT finally published responses to the editorial yesterday (Sept 17): (link)

I was heartened to see that with the exception of one guy who went off on a tangential rant
about cell phone users, all of the letters opposed the carry-on ban. Maybe good sense will
prevail in the end?

-Dan
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
The last letter certainly had a Spiff ring to it.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dkelsey
The NYT finally published responses to the editorial yesterday (Sept 17): (link)

I was heartened to see that with the exception of one guy who went off on a tangential rant
about cell phone users, all of the letters opposed the carry-on ban. Maybe good sense will
prevail in the end?

-Dan
Thank you - I finally saw them this a.m. but didn't have any time to post.

Superguy:

The last letter certainly had a Spiff ring to it.
My thought also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.