NY Times Editorial Advocates Carry-On Ban

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:16 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Nevsky
In what (at least to me, a traveler who takes frequent, discretionary, long-haul flights) may be one of the worst thought out editorials in the NY Times ever, the NY Times has called for an almost total ban on carry-on bags. ("A Ban on Carry-On Luggage")

The NY Times says "the best approach would be a ban on virtually all carry-on items, or at least a limit of one small personal bag per passenger to tote travel documents, keys, vital medications, reading materials and any other minimal items that are allowed."

That is the most simplistic, defeatist solution to a problem that I have seen (albeit one loved by the Brits). Even El Al does not have such harsh rules.

They obviously have not had their baggage delayed for days at a time (either that or they like wearing the same clothes for three or four days); have not had items stolen from their luggage; do not have to do work (although their freelancers may feel differently) on planes (perhaps explains their recent bad financial results); do not have fragile souvenirs from that great trip; do not carry valuables, valuable musical instruments, or confidential materials; do not care if they can not easily find a new connection because their bags can not be rerouted quickly enough. I (and others here) can go on and on.

The NY Times obviously did not consider this article from CNN stating that "Security experts say restricting the size of hand luggage that passengers are allowed to take on board flights does little or nothing to reduce the risk of a terror attack." (http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/...tions.backlash/)

In their infinite wisdom, they even state that "[s]eparating people from their laptops during flights would be painful, although some people could surely use the time to go over reading material, or even revert to pen and paper." Well, how is one to take all of that paper if one is only allowed a small bag. I assume all they feel that is necessary for a businessperson is a small reporter's notebook.

Instead why do they not use their pulpit to discuss creative solutions, instead of making millions of passengers suffer everyday because of the threat of a few. Perhaps (if one even agrees that there have to be some limits) a trusted traveler program should be instituted on a large scale with trusted travelers having more flexibility. Perhaps letting people pay a reasonable extra fee to pay for the inspection of extra and especially large carry-ons? Perhaps more and higher quality screeners should be hired? There is lots of room for some thought here, but to throw up one's hands and say, just say no to carry-ons would make many suffer unnecessarily when other less drastic measures, might not only work, but would be more effective.

If the NY Times is so concerned about security, why not call for a ban on purses in Times Square and how about inspection of air cargo too?

The most ironic thing is that in the past the largest component of my carry-ons has been a week or two of the NY Times that I take along to read on 12 hour flights. I guess now I just need to stick with the Financial Times (which came out against these silly and ineffective rules).

If you disagree with the NY Times (or even agree, perhaps), you can send a letter to the editor by e-mailing [email protected] or faxing (212)556-3622.

[Moved from Newsstand as the main discussion seems to be here].
Best post yet on this thread. ^ Please send this as a letter to the editor of the Times.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by Superguy
Not only that, but air travel will be seen as more costly to business due to lost productivity. Just say you have someone paid $50 an hour on a 6 hour transcon. If they can't work, that's up to $300 added to the price of a plane ticket.

It does make videoconferencing look a lot better.
$50? The average person flying business class, especially on 7 hour transatlantic flights is probably getting paid (or billing) $250 - $1,000 or more per hour.

If someone takes four flights a month totaling 30 hours of flight time, that is 360 hours per year, which is over one month of productivity. That is a serious hit.

One could say, well what happened before computers, but people just travel more today. Business is more global than ever and travel is important. The NY Times just shot from the hip, the same way Bush does.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by us2
Best post yet on this thread. ^ Please send this as a letter to the editor of the Times.
Thank you, I actually did, but at this point asked that they not publish it.

My comments to the NY Times are as follows:

The following is not intended for publication, but just feedback on what I think is one of the most ill conceived editorials in the NY Times ever. I have never sent feedback to the Times this way and I know it will have zero impact, but I just want you to know how someone who was once a great fan (even when I disagreed with the Times) now feels.

You can get a sense of what the frequent flyer community thinks here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=7580.

I personally do not want a letter to the editor, which is just a footnote to a pathetic editorial that will only feed the worst ideas of the British Airport Authority and others that want to take the easy way out by making life miserable for millions of travelers a day rather than improving the system. You have done more damage here to millions of travelers than any of your "leak" disclosures. Maybe an OpEd piece with similar placement would help. (I might be happy to help out here or maybe you can get someone else, but this editorial deserves a strong rebuttal).
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Nevsky
$50? The average person flying business class, especially on 7 hour transatlantic flights is probably getting paid (or billing) $250 - $1,000 or more per hour.
I'm well aware of that. I just took $50/hr as an example. Didn't want to be too outlandish yet tried to find a reasonable figure for an agrument.

I'm well aware of what people make vs. what they're billed out. I'm in the contracting business.

If someone takes four flights a month totaling 30 hours of flight time, that is 360 hours per year, which is over one month of productivity. That is a serious hit.
Which was the point I was trying to make. Thanks for strengthening it.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:56 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL
[QUOTE=Nevsky...If someone takes four flights a month totaling 30 hours of flight time, that is 360 hours per year, which is over one month of productivity. That is a serious hit...[/QUOTE]

Good point, but actually, that is 9 40 hour work weeks. For the person who commutes between coasts weekly, 12 hours a week in downtime from 6 hours per flight equates to 600 lost hours a year on a 50 week work year, or 15 lost 40 hour weeks. For those who bill at a high hourly rate, general aviation starts to make sense economically.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by us2
general aviation starts to make sense economically.
Talk about a major hole in air security.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:30 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Their proposal to put electronics in "locked overhead bins" is stupid. If they are afraid of explosives (which clearly they are), then putting them in locked overheads isn't going to stop them from being triggered, by timers, remote, etc.

The idiot who penned that editorial needs to learn how to think. It's too bad that thinking is a skill that has been discouraged for many centuries.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Their proposal to put electronics in "locked overhead bins" is stupid. If they are afraid of explosives (which clearly they are), then putting them in locked overheads isn't going to stop them from being triggered, by timers, remote, etc.
Two questions: 1. Will I have to check my watch? Pacemaker?
2. Do you tip the checkroom attendant?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Gosh, sure sounds like this editorial was written by the FA's union...
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Teleconferencing will get cheaper and better.
It's as close to free as a curse from a loading dock and it still doesn't remove the need for face-to-face meetings.
The more unpleasant and difficult it becomes to fly the fewer people will.
For a while after 911 I drove any trip that was <8 hours as it was net easier. I was very glad to get back on a plane starting that Jan/Feb.
As these things combine they drive down flyers and drive up per flyer cost, creating a vicious circle. And it isnt like the airlines are wallowing in profits.
Have airlines ever made profits? :-) Load levels are up, new airlines are entering niche markets. I think we'll see a lot of flying over the next several years as the business cycle stays strong.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA(EXP), BA, Hilton, Starwood
Originally Posted by justageek
You did read the entire editorial, right? They are advocating no laptops or other electronics, period. Do you think people are going to fly if they can't have their laptops, iPods, etc.?

More specifically, they're advocating that everyone's laptops be "locked in overhead bins" during the flight. Do you know how many laptops would break during turbulence?
I can be productive without a laptop on an airplane - they're a fairly recent innovation, you know? I have documents (printed) to read, magazines to catch up on (I usually hit the RDU/LGW flight with 15+ magazines), and can always spend a productive few hours with a legal pad thinking about my groups task horizon.

I'm not saying that I'd like this fully globally enforced, but it woudn't be the end of the world.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
Originally Posted by brentley
Why would they ever leave NYC?
To travel to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Napa Valley, or Paris, France.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:39 pm

Maybe all the free space in the overhead bins could be filled with bottles of water, since we can't take that on the plane either.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; PPC; 240x240) Opera 8.60 [en])

Originally Posted by TierFlyer
Teleconferencing will get cheaper and better.
It's as close to free as a curse from a loading dock and it still doesn't remove the need for face-to-face meetings.
The more unpleasant and difficult it becomes to fly the fewer people will.
For a while after 911 I drove any trip that was <8 hours as it was net easier. I was very glad to get back on a plane starting that Jan/Feb.
As these things combine they drive down flyers and drive up per flyer cost, creating a vicious circle. And it isnt like the airlines are wallowing in profits.
Have airlines ever made profits? :-) Load levels are up, new airlines are entering niche markets. I think we'll see a lot of flying over the next several years as the business cycle stays strong.
i didnt say it would eliminate flyiing, just reduce it. For q lot of people a face to face meeting is needed. but not for everything and not for everyone. Also, while loads are up, I believe capacity is down. and prices will continue to raise, quite possibly significantly, due to fuel. And saying that we used to travel without laptops isnt really addressing the issue. We now use them to work so for many of us they are needed to work and there arent a lot of options. You are also assuming that you could take adequate work papers and there is no reason to asssume they would allow you tto do that. But the final weakness of this gutless, moronic stupid proposal by the Times is that if they really feel this way they need to prpose doing upper GI scans and colonoscopies on all patients if they really want to guarantee safety. I will be fascinated to hear how that works out. I will read about it in Newsday
Old Sep 10, 2006, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by KSinNYC
Maybe all the free space in the overhead bins could be filled with bottles of water, since we can't take that on the plane either.
I know that's right. Since I have been on water rations since late AUG and chewing gum like a fiend, that would be a welcome relief.

My letter to the Times.
A POX ON THE LUGGAGE BAN

I'd like to see your op-ed folks try to make a writing deadline with their laptops locked up on board. This editorial is the nadir of fear and stupidity. Next you will want us to board the flight as folks say in Texas, "Buck A** NEKKID"
Punishing the business traveler, and travelers who are ill, or need to feed their children is not security, it's stupidity. It proves that the war on terror is not a war, but a poor excuse for not doing the job of proper security, paying workers a decent wage, and respecting law abiding citizens.
DrBuffy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.