Security for military at airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Security for military at airport

Since I love this forum so much.. You guys always make me smile

I will toss in a piece of red meat for you to jump on..(Hell, it's my civic duty)

Two stories...

1st- I was just with an American Hero, just back from Iraq. When his unit got to the States and had to clear customs then go through security to fly home, they had rifles, bayonets etc....but had to leave water before passing through.

2nd- had dinner last night with friends. Their son is (God Forbid) a TSA screener at CVG. When the security level ratcheded up after the London liquid bomb plot revieled, KY National Guard brought in to assist at CVG. When Guard passed through security..they had to send rifles through scanner (why, dont ask me..that's your job to determine)..They had Loaded rifles, side arms and bayonetts....One guy has a Swiss Army knife that was taken away.

See, I love to help out here at my favorite conspiracy forum.

Go get em!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL
That's like the Georgia national guard unit that had to surrender their nail clippers, but were carrying on their M16s and grenades.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow...

You think you've heard it all and then..
Old Sep 9, 2006, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by mikey1003
They had Loaded rifles, side arms and bayonetts....One guy has a Swiss Army knife that was taken away.
Makes perfect sense. The Swiss Army knife has a bottle opener, it could be used to open a water bottle.

In addition, it was developed for the Swiss Army, and they did not join the Coalition of the Willing. "If you're not with us, you're against us."

so, that's two strikes against that subversive foreign weapon.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
hehehe...

Reminds me of the story of the lesbian TSA screener. When TSA started doing the pat-downs, she was (of course) assigned to pat down women. As I hear the story, it made her day.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Oh so true...

Everyone coming to the US has to fill out the silly customs form. It doesn't matter where you have been or what you have been doing.

Example 1: Coming back from Afghanistan in 2003, C17 from Kandahar to Ashgabat to Frankfurt to the US. The flight segment from FRA to POB, customs cards were passed out. On the ground (on a US Air Force base), a customs officer was waiting. Several people have to dump their hand bags for inspection.

Example 2: May 2000, Ramstein AFB, getting ready to board a C130 to Skopje. I had to put my pistol and rifle through the Xray.

Military flights have to follow the same rules as civilian flights do. Usually getting off a military transport (or civilian charter flight) involves walking through a pan of some substance (bleach?) to ensure that boots are not bringing contaminents into the US, too. Thankfully, you usually don't get the 'What do you do for a living' question.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
...then go through security to fly home, they had rifles, bayonets etc....but had to leave water before passing through.
Am I to understand that military personnel carry rifles, bayonets, etc. aboard commercial flights in the US?
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:22 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by AC110
Am I to understand that military personnel carry rifles, bayonets, etc. aboard commercial flights in the US?
I am awaiting the experts answer on this one.....
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I've seen active-duty military on the plane and I've never seen them carry their rifle onto the plane
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by underpressure
I am awaiting the experts answer on this one.....
See post #6

Charter flights enter commercial terminals
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guy999
I've seen active-duty military on the plane and I've never seen them carry their rifle onto the plane
I saw group arriving PHL carrying arms. Yes they do!!!!!
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See, I love to help out here at my favorite conspiracy forum.
Where, precisely, is the "conspiracy"?
Old Sep 9, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Most of the military you see walking around the airports in the US are spending their two weeks of R&R leave at home. They will not have weapons.

The servicemembers who are going downrange by themselves will normally check their weapons in checked baggage in hard cases. Or their weapons are waiting for them in theater.

The military normally charters civilian aircraft for flights overseas for deployments. This can be a CRAF flight, but is normally a charter airline (World, Tower Air, North American airlines, etc.). In those cases, weapons are carried aboard the plane (no ammunition, of course). Unit leaders always sweep the aircraft afterwards to ensure no one (gasp) leaves their weapon on board by accident.

Normally, the charter flights try to stick to military airbases, but stop at airports enroute to refuel. I've stopped at Gander, Newfoundland ,Keflavik, Iceland and Shannon, Ireland to refuel. Usually, at a civilian airport, if military personnel can deplane, they leave their weapons on board and a few people stay on the plane to watch them.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 9:19 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
There were several servicemen on their way to Bush's sandbox on one of my flights this past weekend. The girl seated next to me asked the FA for several cups of water at once, and explained, "I'm very thirsty since they won't let us bring our own water onboard."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.