Wiki Posts
Search

I bought a car today...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:13 am
Original Poster

I bought a car today...

As part of reducing my air travel...I bought a car today

When I was signing the papers the manager told me he was happy to report to me that I was not a terrorist.

Apparently before can sell a car he needs to check with Homeland Security to make sure I am not a terrorist.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:43 am
Suspended

Don't know anything about cars, but I do know that as a non-profit organization we are supposed to sign a form from each United Way from which we receive funds stating that we have read the Patriot Act and checked the 900,000 name list of potential terrorists and that none of them give to our organization and that we don't use our donations to support terrorism.

I understand that perhaps we will be required to do the same for each and every private foundation that gives us money.

Allegedly, if we don't sign the form we don't get any money from the United Way even though donors have designated to their UW donations to come to us.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:58 am

I had to sign a variety of "I'm not a terrorist" documents to obtain bililng identification numbers for Medicare and Medicaid. I can't quite figure out the logic behind asking me those questions.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mats
I had to sign a variety of "I'm not a terrorist" documents to obtain bililng identification numbers for Medicare and Medicaid. I can't quite figure out the logic behind asking me those questions.
Smear some gels and liquids on the forms next time.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mats
Because if you were really a terrorist, of course you would fill in the form accordingly and say so Isn't the fantasy world the Government lives in fun?

900,000 potential terrorists....are they kidding? What criteria gets someone on this watch list?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Because if you were really a terrorist, of course you would fill in the form accordingly and say so Isn't the fantasy world the Government lives in fun?

900,000 potential terrorists....are they kidding? What criteria gets someone on this watch list?
Anyone who speaks ill of the Bush Administration (I know, you could add another zero or two after that).
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen

I said 900,000 somewhat facetiously. However, I did at some point manage to find "the list" on line and the print is so small it can't be read, not even if it's magnified.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by red456
I said 900,000 somewhat facetiously. However, I did at some point manage to find "the list" on line and the print is so small it can't be read, not even if it's magnified.
Most organizations use software to scan the lists. Ours uses a thrid-party source to do verification of agencies that get donations from us. HR also uses the same service to vet potential subcontractors whether they are software engineers or the construction crew building a new lab. The reports look similar to this.

What is an SDN?

As part of its enforcement efforts, OFAC publishes a list of individuals and companies owned or controlled by, or acting for or on behalf of, targeted countries. It also lists individuals, groups, and entities, such as terrorists and narcotics traffickers designated under programs that are not country-specific. Collectively, such individuals and companies are called "Specially Designated Nationals" or "SDNs." Their assets are blocked and U.S. persons are generally prohibited from dealing with them.
Note that banks and other financial institutions have to scan multiple lists for OFAC, BSA and PATRIOT Act compliance.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Send Gerard Arpey a copy of your sales receipt.

Tell him that you would have preferred to spend the money on AA, but unfortunately there is currently a culture of hAArAAssment in place at airports.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jonesing
Most organizations use software to scan the lists. Ours uses a thrid-party source to do verification of agencies that get donations from us. HR also uses the same service to vet potential subcontractors whether they are software engineers or the construction crew building a new lab. The reports look similar to this.

Note that banks and other financial institutions have to scan multiple lists for OFAC, BSA and PATRIOT Act compliance.
Don't tell anybody but none of the organizationsthat I know anything about, with the exception of the United Way, bother with this nonsense. There are too many good works to be done without wasting time helping the government find "terrorists".
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:03 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
My employer is having a United Way fund drive this week. I guess I won't bother signing up.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:08 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by red456
Don't tell anybody but none of the organizationsthat I know anything about, with the exception of the United Way, bother with this nonsense. There are too many good works to be done without wasting time helping the government find "terrorists".
Oh I know! But our financial people are exceedingly efficient and since Uncle Sam pays the bills, well they tend to follow such rules.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by JS
My employer is having a United Way fund drive this week. I guess I won't bother signing up.
I'll have to mention that to the United Way rep then next time I see her. Would love to help, but I love freedom too much.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:13 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Did you buy an American car? I hear you have to get security screened first.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by AAaLot
Apparently before can sell a car he needs to check with Homeland Security to make sure I am not a terrorist.
I would have just walked away without buying the car. Ridiculous!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.