Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

New TSA Idiocy: "Beverages received on the plane may not be carried off the plane."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA Idiocy: "Beverages received on the plane may not be carried off the plane."

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:34 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Angry New TSA Idiocy: "Beverages received on the plane may not be carried off the plane."

I overheard two FAs discussing a "new announcement" on a flight today. The purser claimed the TSA had asked them to tell passengers that beverages received on the plane could not be taken off the plane.

The second FA found this utterly ridiculous and asked if it was some kind of joke, and the purser seemed to agree--but said the TSA was requiring the announcement, and sure enough, the announcement was made midway through the beverage service.

So WHAT IS THE TSA WORRIED ABOUT?!!! A "dangerous" liquid being taken OFF a plane?!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:51 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by exerda
I overheard two FAs discussing a "new announcement" on a flight today. The purser claimed the TSA had asked them to tell passengers that beverages received on the plane could not be taken off the plane.

The second FA found this utterly ridiculous and asked if it was some kind of joke, and the purser seemed to agree--but said the TSA was requiring the announcement, and sure enough, the announcement was made midway through the beverage service.

So WHAT IS THE TSA WORRIED ABOUT?!!! A "dangerous" liquid being taken OFF a plane?!
Please tell me you're not serious...

We need a *GROAN* smiley here really bad... at this point, I'm way past , doesn't cut it anymore and is not indicative of what this country is coming to.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
For the love of all that's sane, please tell me you're joking. If not, this is just another new low in stupidity that TSA surpassed. I don't even want to guess what the next low will be.

This is yet another admisison that TSA is not confident in its screening.

Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
We need a *GROAN* smiley here really bad... at this point, I'm way past , doesn't cut it anymore and is not indicative of what this country is coming to.
I'm game for "I'm with stupid" and "banging head on brick wall" emoticons.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Well, they'd better eliminate the seat belt sign during the last 15 minutes of every flight, since they will now require all of us to go to the lav and drain ourselves of any liquids consumed on board.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:49 pm

You know, sometimes I suspect our exalted leaders REALLY would like to know WHERE THE LINE IS,.... YOU KNOW WHICH LINE...THE ONE BEYOND WHICH THE PEOPLE CANNOT BE FURTHER PUSHED WITHOUT INVITING OUTRIGHT MASS REBELLION AND VIOLENCE.

How far CAN we be pushed nowdays? Much, much, MUCH farther than our forefathers tolerated. It only took a little tax on tea for them to say this far and NO MORE. But those were the days when men knew their God, their rights, their duty and walked in courage and honor.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If this becomes an official rule, crazy.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:25 am

If this is true, this is one policy that I will fequently violate. I usually take water off first flight to have with dinner at airport. I usually take water off second flight home with me. If this is true, this has to be the most ridiculous policy yet.

Marc
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AINITFUNNY
You know, sometimes I suspect our exalted leaders REALLY would like to know WHERE THE LINE IS,.... YOU KNOW WHICH LINE...THE ONE BEYOND WHICH THE PEOPLE CANNOT BE FURTHER PUSHED WITHOUT INVITING OUTRIGHT MASS REBELLION AND VIOLENCE.

How far CAN we be pushed nowdays? Much, much, MUCH farther than our forefathers tolerated. It only took a little tax on tea for them to say this far and NO MORE. But those were the days when men knew their God, their rights, their duty and walked in courage and honor.
Yes, indeed. Those courageous men (and women, too) would not recognize this land of cowards and idiots.

Bruce
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Several years ago, I was flying ATL-FLL on AirTran. As I was sitting in FC I ws offered a complementary (small) bottle of wine.

I explained that I didn't want to drink it as I was tired and would soon be driving. I asked if I could take it with me for the evening.

The FA refused -- saying it was against the law.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you take drinks off the plane you are taking them into the sterile area. That's probably the origin of this nonsense.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In THEORY, the entire airplane is supposed to be sterile. Because everyone got checked before getting to or on the plane. Including cargo and catering turcks and staff. Right? Oh, wait.

Yeah, passengers taking OFF liquids, prohibited in the terminal, even though you can grab one at a concession stand (never again for me) or a lounge. Maple Leaf Lounges might lock up the canned and bottle beverages, but you can still grab one at some lounges on the US side.

FWIW, a woman behind me in BOS yesterday got caught with a bottle of water. Not sure the TSAer could have been more patronizing in discovery.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:51 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm not joking. I only wish I was.

I actually heard this on two flights yesterday (but not on a third).

On one, a UX flight, the GA asked the FA for a bottle of water when she brought aboard the final counts, and the FA gave her one, but said something like, "If you tell, I'll claim I don't know anything about it." The other FA said, "Not supposed to give away catering?" and the FA replied, "No, we're not supposed to let water from the plane go into the terminal, because of the TSA."

The only rational I can come up with is that the TSA feels someone could take one of these bottles airside, then claim when reboarding, "But I got it onboard my last flight."

(The only good thing I can say about my COS flight being delayed is that we got out of the gate groping; the TSA showed up at original departure time with gloves on, but the GA said, "I'm not sure how long it's going to be; I'll call you," and then didn't call them when the time came as we were trying to get loaded and away before we lost our takeoff window.)
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
The only rational I can come up with is that the TSA feels someone could take one of these bottles airside, then claim when reboarding, "But I got it onboard my last flight."
Now all we need is for some reporters to interview passengers - making sure its the ones that only travel once every three or four years - about this new rule and get the standard "if it makes us safer, then its a good rule" response.

I am starting to wonder if Kip Hawley is a partner in several airside food shops at major hubs .
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:45 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Do you think they would consider your body as a container
and you cant be let out of an aircraft until you have "properly"
disposed off all the liquids consumes on the aircraft in the
aircraft lavatory?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:53 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I dont get it - does this mean I cannot buy a drink in the terminal anymore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.