Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New TSA Idiocy: "Beverages received on the plane may not be carried off the plane."

New TSA Idiocy: "Beverages received on the plane may not be carried off the plane."

Old Aug 28, 06, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Very good. That test indicates that perhaps you are Indyman as he probably would have done the same (at least as to the first sentence )
Did you perchance note the conspicious absence of a denial?

mike
Old Aug 28, 06, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Any chance we can get this thread somewhat back on topic?
Old Aug 28, 06, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Folks, do not feed the troll. Report him/her using the report-post feature, and he/she will soon be gone. Hopefully the mods can also clean out some of his/her aliases (an explicit violation of the FT TOS, along with the personal attacks and threats he/she has issued in this thread).
Old Aug 28, 06, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by exerda
Any chance we can get this thread somewhat back on topic?
Excellent suggestion.

After that brief diversion, let's continue to discuss the topic at hand:

Thanks.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Aug 29, 06, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
Originally Posted by WhereAmI?
So, to clarify, you are threating the Secretary of Homeland Security with bodily harm or a hanging?

Correct? I guess the FBI should know about that.

Brilliant.
I guess they would want to get in on the party!
Old Aug 29, 06, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton, ICH, Hertz
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
Does anyone have confirmation of this "new rule"? I had two flights on the 26th, and no announcement of any sort regarding taking beverages off the plane was made on either flight. I also have yet to see any mention of this rule in the media. I'm not doubting that the OP did hear FAs saying this, but on FT, there are a ton of 'heard from FA' nuggets that are so wrong (imminent airline mergers, etc.) it's funny. My guess would be FAs that got hooked by a rumor/urban legend; someone please post a link to some evidence of the new rule if it really does exist.
Nothing (that I could find) on the TSA site. I just called the Delta member services line and the rep knew nothing about this either.

- Alan

Last edited by GeorgiaRebel; Aug 29, 06 at 8:19 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old Aug 29, 06, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Silver, Morton's VIP, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Dovster
Several years ago, I was flying ATL-FLL on AirTran. As I was sitting in FC I ws offered a complementary (small) bottle of wine.

I explained that I didn't want to drink it as I was tired and would soon be driving. I asked if I could take it with me for the evening.

The FA refused -- saying it was against the law.
That probably had to do with state liquior laws.
cheers
howie
Old Aug 29, 06, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRebel
Nothing (that I could find) on the TSA site. I just called the Delta member services line and the rep knew nothing about this either.

- Alan
I haven't found it on the TSA site, but the fact that both SkyWest and mainline UA FAs were making the announcement (and the SkyWest ones talking about how stupid it was) makes me think someone out there has told at least quite a few FAs it was a new rule.
Old Aug 29, 06, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by exerda
I haven't found it on the TSA site, but the fact that both SkyWest and mainline UA FAs were making the announcement (and the SkyWest ones talking about how stupid it was) makes me think someone out there has told at least quite a few FAs it was a new rule.
Airline internal operating rules? Quite possible.
Old Aug 30, 06, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by WhereAmI?
Oh sorry, it's your right to threaten Secretaries and encite public riots.

I was absent at Social Studies during that lesson.
So far threats such as were posted have been declared protected speech when challenged. So yes, as a matter of fact, he does have the right.
Old Aug 30, 06, 9:46 am

Haven't heard anything from CO on this. It could be some other airlines' company policy (don't know why) but it's not TSA, as far as I can tell.

It's true that you aren't allowed to take liquor off the plane because of local liquor laws (CO is dictated by TX law). It's always been that way.
Old Aug 30, 06, 1:41 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by pptp
It's true that you aren't allowed to take liquor off the plane because of local liquor laws (CO is dictated by TX law). It's always been that way.
I'm allowed to take liquor I bought off of the airplane. If I fly, for example, CDG-MIA I can buy liquor duty free on board and take it into Florida with no problem.

I can even do it with a bottle that a friend bought for me on board. So why can't I do it with a smaller bottle that the airline gives me?
Old Aug 30, 06, 1:54 pm

Don't know for sure but I think it is similar to the rule wherein you have to consume an alcoholic beverage on the premises where you bought it (bar, restaurant, patio lounge etc.). You'll often see the sign posted "Any alcoholic beverages must be consumed on premises" or something like that.
Old Aug 30, 06, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pptp
Don't know for sure but I think it is similar to the rule wherein you have to consume an alcoholic beverage on the premises where you bought it (bar, restaurant, patio lounge etc.). You'll often see the sign posted "Any alcoholic beverages must be consumed on premises" or something like that.
Exactly. In the arcane world of alcoholic beverage laws, some retailers are licensed to sell for carryout and some retailers are licensed to sell only for consumption on the premises. And some retailers are licensed to do both. In some states, a tavern is permitted to sell a patron a bottle "to go." In others, that's a no-no and you have to visit a packages store or some other retailer.
Old Aug 30, 06, 4:12 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
so you cant take the bottle purchased on the ground on board?
and cant take one off either?

So is water considered to be more dangerous?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: