abc news-babies are the next banned item

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2006, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
abc news-babies are the next banned item

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/...ities_war.html

From ABC news:

Authorities at Scotland Yard are questioning a husband and wife, suspects in the London terror plot, about allegations that they were planning to use their baby's bottle to hide a liquid bomb.

Police in the U.K. have recovered baby bottles containing peroxide, including some with false bottoms, from a recycling center close to the homes of some of the arrested suspects.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post but I'm not seeing it posted here yet.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If this holds up, it will be another nail in the racial profiling coffin. I know most advocates thereof descibe a "young, male, Middle-Eastern or Southeast-Asian" profile.

I actually recall arguing with one such advocate who poo-poo'ed my remarks that women (such as the Chechnyans who carried out the Russian plane bombings a couple of years back) would serve as suicide bombers and would have many avenues of concealing explosives open to them that men would not.

I was told, "Osama and his like hate women and would never let them participate in a terrorist plot."
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I suspect it will hold up but will be under reported because our governments will not want to confess that while they were grabbing a cancer patient's lip cream, they were allowing moms with babies to sail through freely -- and it turned out some of the plotters were going to use baby's milk bottle.

I don't support racial profiling. I support good police work. Law enforcement did their job and disrupted their plot. There was never any reason to grab chapsticks. And if they hadn't done their work, then grabbing all the chapsticks in the world wouldn't have mattered.

Originally Posted by exerda
If this holds up, it will be another nail in the racial profiling coffin. I know most advocates thereof descibe a "young, male, Middle-Eastern or Southeast-Asian" profile.

I actually recall arguing with one such advocate who poo-poo'ed my remarks that women (such as the Chechnyans who carried out the Russian plane bombings a couple of years back) would serve as suicide bombers and would have many avenues of concealing explosives open to them that men would not.

I was told, "Osama and his like hate women and would never let them participate in a terrorist plot."
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:51 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
It's an interesting blog - the discussions below the main article, that is. Looks like there may be more people who are against this asinine stupidity than I had believed. Maybe there is hope for America after all!
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I'd be for banning of babies, their attendant junk, and their parents from planes. Even if the reason makes no sense. I'd even be willing to support this loony fluids ban in exchange for that concession.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:52 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Pickles
I'd be for banning of babies, their attendant junk, and their parents from planes. Even if the reason makes no sense. I'd even be willing to support this loony fluids ban in exchange for that concession.
I should say but I wan't to say

Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:03 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
If we just ban all humans, flying will be safe!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
I was so hopeful when I read the title of this thread. Then I read and it and found it was just sarcasm. Sign me up for the ban.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
You're making a sexist assumption. So is the article. They found baby bottles but there's no reason why the bottles couldn't be taken on planes by young males with babies.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
It's an interesting blog - the discussions below the main article, that is. Looks like there may be more people who are against this asinine stupidity than I had believed. Maybe there is hope for America after all!

The blog is most interesting - especially the post by the Palestinian, who hit the nail on the head.

I, too, believe that the number of individuals who see this whole "security" thing as a farce is growing all the time. There have been fewer and fewer of the "anything for security" sheeple quoted in the press after this last round of TSA/DHS stupidity.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:38 am

Programs: AA, Skymiles, OnePass
Why is it OK for a poster to say that babies should be banned from planes, but it's not OK to say that about an ethnic or racial group? I find the statement just as offensive as a comment about an ethnic or racial group would be.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:01 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Is this the next generation of baby boomers?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
You're making a sexist assumption. So is the article. They found baby bottles but there's no reason why the bottles couldn't be taken on planes by young males with babies.
The mention a husband and wife team.

Yes, a father with child could do the same thing, but would stand out more. I'd bet terrorists are smart enough to realize that.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by kaukau
Is this the next generation of baby boomers?
We need a really big "groan" smiley for that one.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:25 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I hate to say it but a baby ban would be one ban I wouldn't object or complain about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.