FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   abc news-babies are the next banned item (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/591472-abc-news-babies-next-banned-item.html)

peachfront Aug 16, 2006 9:52 pm

abc news-babies are the next banned item

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/...ities_war.html

From ABC news:

Authorities at Scotland Yard are questioning a husband and wife, suspects in the London terror plot, about allegations that they were planning to use their baby's bottle to hide a liquid bomb.

Police in the U.K. have recovered baby bottles containing peroxide, including some with false bottoms, from a recycling center close to the homes of some of the arrested suspects.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post but I'm not seeing it posted here yet.

exerda Aug 16, 2006 10:00 pm

If this holds up, it will be another nail in the racial profiling coffin. I know most advocates thereof descibe a "young, male, Middle-Eastern or Southeast-Asian" profile.

I actually recall arguing with one such advocate who poo-poo'ed my remarks that women (such as the Chechnyans who carried out the Russian plane bombings a couple of years back) would serve as suicide bombers and would have many avenues of concealing explosives open to them that men would not.

I was told, "Osama and his like hate women and would never let them participate in a terrorist plot." :rolleyes:

peachfront Aug 16, 2006 10:23 pm

I suspect it will hold up but will be under reported because our governments will not want to confess that while they were grabbing a cancer patient's lip cream, they were allowing moms with babies to sail through freely -- and it turned out some of the plotters were going to use baby's milk bottle.

I don't support racial profiling. I support good police work. Law enforcement did their job and disrupted their plot. There was never any reason to grab chapsticks. And if they hadn't done their work, then grabbing all the chapsticks in the world wouldn't have mattered.

Originally Posted by exerda
If this holds up, it will be another nail in the racial profiling coffin. I know most advocates thereof descibe a "young, male, Middle-Eastern or Southeast-Asian" profile.

I actually recall arguing with one such advocate who poo-poo'ed my remarks that women (such as the Chechnyans who carried out the Russian plane bombings a couple of years back) would serve as suicide bombers and would have many avenues of concealing explosives open to them that men would not.

I was told, "Osama and his like hate women and would never let them participate in a terrorist plot." :rolleyes:

bnarayan1511 Aug 16, 2006 10:51 pm

It's an interesting blog - the discussions below the main article, that is. Looks like there may be more people who are against this asinine stupidity than I had believed. Maybe there is hope for America after all!

Pickles Aug 16, 2006 11:50 pm

I'd be for banning of babies, their attendant junk, and their parents from planes. Even if the reason makes no sense. I'd even be willing to support this loony fluids ban in exchange for that concession.

bnarayan1511 Aug 16, 2006 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
I'd be for banning of babies, their attendant junk, and their parents from planes. Even if the reason makes no sense. I'd even be willing to support this loony fluids ban in exchange for that concession.

I should say :td: but I wan't to say :cool:

:p

joelfreak Aug 17, 2006 12:03 am

If we just ban all humans, flying will be safe!

PTravel Aug 17, 2006 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Pickles

I was so hopeful when I read the title of this thread. Then I read and it and found it was just sarcasm. Sign me up for the ban. ;)

whirledtraveler Aug 17, 2006 4:22 am

Originally Posted by exerda

You're making a sexist assumption. So is the article. They found baby bottles but there's no reason why the bottles couldn't be taken on planes by young males with babies.

doober Aug 17, 2006 6:18 am

Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
It's an interesting blog - the discussions below the main article, that is. Looks like there may be more people who are against this asinine stupidity than I had believed. Maybe there is hope for America after all!

The blog is most interesting - especially the post by the Palestinian, who hit the nail on the head.

I, too, believe that the number of individuals who see this whole "security" thing as a farce is growing all the time. There have been fewer and fewer of the "anything for security" sheeple quoted in the press after this last round of TSA/DHS stupidity.

stinky123 Aug 17, 2006 6:38 am

Why is it OK for a poster to say that babies should be banned from planes, but it's not OK to say that about an ethnic or racial group? I find the statement just as offensive as a comment about an ethnic or racial group would be.

kaukau Aug 17, 2006 7:01 am

Is this the next generation of baby boomers? :rolleyes:

exerda Aug 17, 2006 8:27 am

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
You're making a sexist assumption. So is the article. They found baby bottles but there's no reason why the bottles couldn't be taken on planes by young males with babies.

The mention a husband and wife team.

Yes, a father with child could do the same thing, but would stand out more. I'd bet terrorists are smart enough to realize that.

exerda Aug 17, 2006 8:27 am

Originally Posted by kaukau
Is this the next generation of baby boomers? :rolleyes:

We need a really big "groan" smiley for that one. :p

SNA_Flyer Aug 17, 2006 9:25 am

I hate to say it but a baby ban would be one ban I wouldn't object or complain about.