TSA: New Liquid Ban Likely Here To Stay

Old Aug 11, 06, 3:30 pm
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Arrow TSA: New Liquid Ban Likely Here To Stay

Sorry to start yet another thread, but this seemed worthy:

"PORTLAND -- What a difference a day makes!

Airport officials are telling us it appears as though the message about no liquids or gels in carry-on luggage has gotten through to the traveling public.

So what happens next? How long will this new policy last?

Mike Irwin with the Transportation Security Administration says the rules may get tweeked, but don't expect any drastic departures from what's in place now."

Does this surprise anyone? Not that I think Mikey-boy in Portland necessarily knows what he's talking about, but how often does a government agency willingly relinquish control over something once established?

Shame on your overreaction, TSA. I have shied away from the term "un-American" in the past, but find it quite fitting today.
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Not a surprise at all.

The only way we can even hope to bring any sense to them is to write elected officials, FSDs, and the airlines, and complain. And it needs to be more than just a few people doing it, too.

I can't wait until a terrorist tries to conceal a bomb in a body cavity.
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sydneysider
Does this surprise anyone?
Honestly, this would surprise me. I'm not sure why, but I felt like this was temporary stupidity.
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Don't let anymore stay bans all liquids and how much longer will be lifted bans all liquids? I don't want stupid anymore under new rules at the airports is over! It's time to bring back to normal with those few things has been allowed with toothpaste, shampoo and etc to do. Let do it right thing being bring back to normal.
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:42 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
If you can't bring hair gel, but you can bring hairspray, can you bring gel in aerosol form?

Old Aug 11, 06, 3:44 pm

Myrtle and Gladys traveler will be appeased as they sit on top of unscreened cargo
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
I do think that portions of the liquid ban will stay in place. I also think that the ban will be expanded to most food. What I think will occur is that we will start to see some liquids allowed back onto the airplanes.

This will most likely allow for liquids that are sold inside the airport. They will be screened using the CTX machines instead of the industrial strength X-Ray machines currently used. Once screened they will have a TSA approved sticker on them. The same thing will be for applied for other liquids that are sold inside security. Eventually over time more and more liquids will be allowed back in much the same way coffee was allowed through the checkpoints.

TSA will not be able to keep an absolute ban on liquids for long. As has been mentioned there are several medical conditions that require persons to stay hydrated or even overhydrated. Additionally there are certain OTC medicines such as nasal sprays, that are only available as liquids that passengers often need to avoid things such as ruptured eardrums or severe pain when they are congested.

In the meantime is their a Dr. on the board who is willing to provide letters to FT'ers for OTC liquids for things such as severe congestion. PM me
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:49 pm
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ59
Myrtle and Gladys traveler will be appeased as they sit on top of unscreened cargo
My nomination for comment of the day.
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:53 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL SKyMiles Million Miler, AS, HHonors, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
This is one where I understand some of what the TSA is doing but, quite frankly, the rest is hokey.

Drinking water, soda, coffee, etc., should be allowed on as well as food unless the airlines are going to be required to furnish the same on all flights.

We have to reach the point where there is some common sense.
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:56 pm

So will an aircraft proceed to the nearest airport and land if someone has an unapproved bottle on board (water,booze) and its spotted or an empty is found somewhere?
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:57 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Woo Hoo!

Mileage runs of today.

EXPs upgraded. 100,000 EQM

No water. No deorderant. No toothpaste. "For Security"

36 hour domestic runs smelling like you just got out of the gym. Priceless
Old Aug 11, 06, 3:59 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by tenmoc
Woo Hoo!

Mileage runs of today.

EXPs upgraded. 100,000 EQM

No water. No deorderant. No toothpaste. "For Security"

36 hour domestic runs smelling like you just got out of the gym. Priceless
I think Mileage Runs should be outlawed until the liquid ban is lifted

Otherwise airplanes are going to smell like lion cages
Old Aug 11, 06, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by thebug622
So will an aircraft proceed to the nearest airport and land if someone has an unapproved bottle on board (water,booze) and its spotted or an empty is found somewhere?
I can just see the 'Breaking News' headline followed by...

"Terror In The Skies: An unopened bottle of Evian was discovered in a seat back pocket, but fortunately a Federal Air Marshal was onboard the aircraft and was able to shoot the bottle before it could do any harm"
Old Aug 11, 06, 4:01 pm
Used to be Sydneysider
Original Poster

And to prove my point about right and left hands not knowing what the hell the other is doing, this is from an AP story that just hit the wires:

"But Friday, Chertoff said his department was looking to adjust some of the new traveling restrictions they have barred many common carry-on items such as water bottles and toiletries to 'somewhat reduce any additional inconvenience.' He provided no details.

'I don't want to suggest that they're going to be earth- shattering, but we're going to move to try to make this as simple and as easy as possible, as quickly as possible,' he said in a news conference at Reagan National Airport."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060811/...us_terror_plot

DHS/TSA is a beast out of control. If it can't coordinate simple communications, how can it intercept real threats?
Old Aug 11, 06, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jfe
If you can't bring hair gel, but you can bring hairspray, can you bring gel in aerosol form?

No, no, and no. You can't bring any of those aforementioned items.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: