Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

I Wonder What Effect This Will Have On The TSA Workforce?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well -- We haven't started a new topic in at least 2 minutes, so here's a new one. I wonder how all of this activity will affect the screener workforce? I can imagine that the increased stress level will drive some away. Others will se this as the event they have been hoping for all along. We've already seen the testosterone level rising (Wait a minute -- Testosterone is a liquid!) and a few FSDs are already requiring mandatory shoe removal. I suspect many of them will try to out-do the others.

The one thing I am certain about is that we won't see long lines of job-seekers outside the TSA recruiting office.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Well -- We haven't started a new topic in at least 2 minutes, so here's a new one. I wonder how all of this activity will affect the screener workforce? I can imagine that the increased stress level will drive some away. Others will se this as the event they have been hoping for all along. We've already seen the testosterone level rising (Wait a minute -- Testosterone is a liquid!) and a few FSDs are already requiring mandatory shoe removal. I suspect many of them will try to out-do the others.

The one thing I am certain about is that we won't see long lines of job-seekers outside the TSA recruiting office.
Some might be happy because I'm sure TSA will be paying overtime to try to keep some semblance of order. Then again, IAD closes lines down when there are huge lines so maybe not.

What kinda surprises me is that the usual TSA'ers like Bart, Myrgirl, eyecue and the others haven't weighed in on this mess yet. At least not in the threads I've seen.

Then again, with the anger that's going on here today, they might be intentionally staying away.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When will the TSA gets its budget increased?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When will the TSA gets its budget increased?
Hopefully when hell freezes over.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Superguy
Some might be happy because I'm sure TSA will be paying overtime to try to keep some semblance of order. Then again, IAD closes lines down when there are huge lines so maybe not.

What kinda surprises me is that the usual TSA'ers like Bart, Myrgirl, eyecue and the others haven't weighed in on this mess yet. At least not in the threads I've seen.

Then again, with the anger that's going on here today, they might be intentionally staying away.
My guess is they're all at work - I'm looking forward to hearing Bart's views on this. He usually has a balanced perspective!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Hopefully when hell freezes over.
HEL freezes in a few months.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
They've all passed out from dehydration.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always wondered in the first place why anyone would want to make a living out of groping strangers and rifling through peoples' stuff (voyeurism, my best guess).

That said, they should wait and see how the dust settles from all of this. I doubt many TSAers just walked out of their job today. Maybe a few are reconsidering their jobs, but I don't think there's going to be a big spike of resignations because of all of this.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Taking Solutions Away

Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
My guess is they're all at work - I'm looking forward to hearing Bart's views on this. He usually has a balanced perspective!
They're probably all at work clocking overtime. When the lines get over 300 feet long I'm sure they call in everyone they can find.

How will it affect Taking Solutions Away employees? Great if they get to rummage through the confiscated wine, hair gel, and expensive perfume in the trash bin on their way home every day after wook.

The bad news: they will be out lots of mornings with hangovers. The good news: when they do show up for work, their hair will be perfect and they will smell real nice.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HEL freezes in a few months.
Unfortunately, that's one L too short.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Maybe DHS/TSA can shut down all catering operations and airside vendor operations and run a state-owned monopoly of its own? Since the current US government behaves increasingly like the Communists, government ownership and operation of catering operations and airport vendors would fit perfectly in that spirit too. And for "our security", perhaps DHS and TSA would "enhance" aviation security by taking over airlines entirely.

Gives new meaning to "American" Airlines.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe DHS/TSA can shut down all catering operations and airside vendor operations and run a state-owned monopoly of its own? Since the current US government behaves increasingly like the Communists, government ownership and operation of catering operations and airport vendors would fit perfectly in that spirit too. And for "our security", perhaps DHS and TSA would "enhance" aviation security by taking over airlines entirely.

Gives new meaning to "American" Airlines.
Just as Komrade Daschell said before getting booted from office: "You can't professionalize until you [communize. Err,] federalize."
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Hopefully, this latest knee-jerk idiocy will help remove the scales from the eyes of many current TSA employees and they will quit en-masse.

TSA management has no clue and no solutions. Those who have been supporting them through today should finally see what incompetent imbeciles they really are.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:15 pm

Not staying away at all. Instead, I've spent waaaayyyy too much time on this forum today. I haven't weighed in because, since this is my day off, I don't know any more about the situation than anyone else with Internet and CNN access. In fact, I just got off the phone with a coworker to ask how things went down today. It seems to be a combination of voluntary pre-screening dumping, bag searches, and gate searches. I was told shoe removal is mandatory, even for people normally exempt, i.e. flight crew, airport/airline/vendor workers, babies, and TSA personnel. I was told that the 'no liquids or gels' ban also means us. This means, I need to dump my work bag to remove my contact lens solution, lip gloss and whatever else I may have in there and I need to rethink what I pack for breakfast. No milk for my oatmeal apparently, no jello, and definately no water. We're pretty much stuck drinking tapwater. Blech.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least misery loves company.

I'm really starting to wonder about the shoe thing. iluv2fly just posted in another thread that he went thru ORD expecting the worst and the only thing that was different was the no liquids thing. Just got a swab for not removing shoes.

I'm wondering if the FSD's are making it up as they go in some instances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.