Wiki Posts
Search

Shoe Removal Now Mandatory at US Airports

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by bellbm
I couldn't agree with you more, I will never take my shoes off, and if I'm forced, they can bend down and do, I won't. We must stand up for ourselves.
Sorry, this is more like yelling at the GA/TA because of the bad weather outside delaying your flight. The tsa line person is just following the stupid directions they've been given, they don't have a choice in what those procedures are and it'll just get them in a crappy mood to deal with you and every other passenger they have to deal with. I'm all in for NOT removing my shoes, (although I'll switch down to flip flops for my trip next week), putting in a complaint form if something is wrong, complaining immediately if something is done incorrectly, etc. but to do something direct to the person just doing their job? Y'need to grow up and take care of any gas problems with some medication.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jedison
Unfortunately, that pesky train can run as much as 24 hours behind schedule, and routinely several hours.
The San Joaquin route is more often on time than that Coastal route.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:29 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Sorry, this is more like yelling at the GA/TA because of the bad weather outside delaying your flight. The tsa line person is just following the stupid directions they've been given, they don't have a choice in what those procedures are and it'll just get them in a crappy mood to deal with you and every other passenger they have to deal with. I'm all in for NOT removing my shoes, (although I'll switch down to flip flops for my trip next week), putting in a complaint form if something is wrong, complaining immediately if something is done incorrectly, etc. but to do something direct to the person just doing their job?
The flip flop removal was "recommended" last week.

Re "stupid" directions the best way to foil them is to make their employers live with the consequences - swabbing every pair of shoes. Once they realize how much manpower is required, it would stop.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by LLM
Re "stupid" directions the best way to foil them is to make their employers live with the consequences - swabbing every pair of shoes. Once they realize how much manpower is required, it would stop.
That would work if it was a private business. However, as a government work program, that will just cause them to appeal to congress for another $1B to hire more swabbers. And, of course, being a national security crisis, congress will approve.

Does Haliburton manufacture the swabs?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 1:01 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Does Haliburton manufacture the swabs?
Likely they will as long as Congress doubles the present security fee to pay for them.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:48 pm

Programs: Vanishing
Shoe removal is supposedly mandatory now, but the TSA web site is STILL not updated
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:43 pm

Here's my experience with the latest shoe policy:

- Thu 8/10, early morning, SFO: At the metal detector, TSA agent says "We recommend you take off your shoes". I say "I'll take the swab, thanks", and it's no problem -- I get swabbed. ("Male assist, no alarm!")

- Fri 8/11, late afternoon, BOS: At the metal detector, TSA agent says "I need you to take off your shoes". I say "I'll take the swab, thanks", but he says "If you want to fly today, you must run your shoes through the X-ray machine -- it's mandatory". I say, "huh? I'd prefer the secondary", and he says "no, you don't have a choice; it's a new rule, as of yesterday". He blocked the metal detector and was not going to let me through unless I took off my shoes. I didn't inquire any further.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Please file complaints. This is complete idiocy.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Angry

Originally Posted by Spiff
Please file complaints. This is complete idiocy.
^
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by daw617
- Fri 8/11, late afternoon, BOS: At the metal detector, TSA agent says "I need you to take off your shoes". I say "I'll take the swab, thanks", but he says "If you want to fly today, you must run your shoes through the X-ray machine -- it's mandatory". I say, "huh? I'd prefer the secondary", and he says "no, you don't have a choice; it's a new rule, as of yesterday". He blocked the metal detector and was not going to let me through unless I took off my shoes. I didn't inquire any further.
Try the medical exception: "I just can't bend enough to remove my shoes standing up. Either you take them off and put them back on me, or I do it sitting down on the other side of the metal detector."

Bruce
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LLM
The flip flop removal was "recommended" last week.

Unfortunately with the new mandatory removal, they've dodged that one.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:38 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Unfortunately with the new mandatory removal, they've dodged that one.
Hmmmm...how about check bags and have them not allow you to board because of the shoes? If done en masse, with refundable tickets, they'd have to pull out an awful lot of luggage.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LLM
Hmmmm...how about check bags and have them not allow you to board because of the shoes? If done en masse, with refundable tickets, they'd have to pull out an awful lot of luggage.
That's true, although it would be punishing the airlines much more than the TSA. I do think the airlines need to get their acts together and start hollering to the government about the water ban, but hopefully it won't take something so drastic to get the airlines in gear.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:39 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I ran into this at SEA today. Was told to remove my flip-flops, said I would take secondary, x-ray operator asked WTMD screener if that was allowed, he said yes, but the full secondary, I said it was fine and walked through. Got the male assist, but the WTMD screener didn't tell it was a no-alarm until the male assist screener asked. Got the swab and went on my way. I then decided to check the TSA website and see if shoe removal was still recommended and found this:

Originally Posted by tsa.gov
Yes, you are required to remove your shoes before you enter the walk-through metal detector. This includes all types of footwear. Due to the Homeland Security threat level being raised for the U.S. aviation sector worldwide this is critical to protect the world's travelers who transit by air to and from the United States. Our Security Officers will ask that you remove your shoes before entering the metal detector based on the fact that many types of footwear can be used to carry prohibited items. When a Security Officer asks you to remove your shoes, please do. If you refuse, you will not be able to board your flight.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ing/index.shtm

Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:41 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Yes, you are required to remove your shoes before you enter the walk-through metal detector. This includes all types of footwear. Due to the Homeland Security threat level being raised for the U.S. aviation sector worldwide this is critical to protect the world's travelers who transit by air to and from the United States. Our Security Officers will ask that you remove your shoes before entering the metal detector based on the fact that many types of footwear can be used to carry prohibited items. When a Security Officer asks you to remove your shoes, please do. If you refuse, you will not be able to board your flight."

Up yours, Comrade Hawley. You're a filthy little coward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.