Shoe Removal Now Mandatory at US Airports

Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
It's really none of your business whether I continue to fly or not.
I would agree, but for the fact that you are the one spearheading the protest.

However, I have qualified that if this nonsense is in place at the time of my next scheduled flight then I will cancel. Got it?
Be my guest. Nobody at the airline or in the government will so much as bat an eye because you don't fly.

I'm pretty sure they don't make you take off your shoes or leave your water behind when boarding a Greyhound bus.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I would agree, but for the fact that you are the one spearheading the protest.

Be my guest. Nobody at the airline or in the government will so much as bat an eye because you don't fly.

I'm pretty sure they don't make you take off your shoes or leave your water behind when boarding a Greyhound bus.
Discretionary travel is a beautiful thing. I won't be on Greyhound; I'll be enjoying the good life in Louisville, spending money I would have happily given to AA or one of the other airlines.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:27 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
What about using the medical device option?

If you tell them that they are orthopedic shoes, there is no removal (as long as they don't alarm). You still have to go through the BS secondary, but you win on the fact that you don't remove them.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Today at TPA shoes off is mandatory. Usually it is a swab and a smile and I am on my way. I have them broken in pretty well.

Since the shoes had to come off today, I asked if I could sit down and take them off and it was no problem for the TSA guys. They swabbed and Xrayed the sneakers..

But here is the important thing. They did it in a dignified manner and with respect. No screaming or hysterics.

PS. I just saw a pilot walk on the plane with a cup of coffee!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
PS. I just saw a pilot walk on the plane with a cup of coffee!
This just shows how idiotic the "security" program is.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rar indeed
This just shows how idiotic the "security" program is.
Of course, if your pilot is a terrorist, his cup of coffee is probably the least of your concerns.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
What happens if you just smile and say "I'll take the secondary, thanks.
They still took my shoes off at SFO. So they got to take them off and take them on, just like the Al-Bundy morons they are....
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:05 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Serious question:

What security risk is associated with shoes?

Is it that the soles can be hollowed out and filled with an explosive and an ignition device?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by rar indeed
Sigh... The train to the bay area looks very attractive right now...
Unfortunately, that pesky train can run as much as 24 hours behind schedule, and routinely several hours.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by work2fly
Serious question:

Is it that the soles can be hollowed out and filled with an explosive and an ignition device?
Just a reaction to Richard Reid, that's all.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jedison
Unfortunately, that pesky train can run as much as 24 hours behind schedule, and routinely several hours.
I knew there had to have been a reason I've never taken it! All of this is just... puke.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Serious question:

Basically, yes.

We have Richard Reid to thank for this.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:16 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Then what the heck's wrong with the TSA wanting to check shoes for metal and evidence of explosive material??
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Then what the heck's wrong with the TSA wanting to check shoes for metal and evidence of explosive material??
Personally, I'm looking forward to the day they inspect my rectum for banned objects! ^

I've got nothing to hide - and it saves me money on enema supplies!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
To the contrary, that's my point. I don't think I have ever seen Spiff endorse a specific airport security measure. I was surprised to learn that he is a happy camper when it comes to the swabbing of his shoes. You learn something every day, I guess.

As for me, I don't see a material difference between being forced to remove my shoes and being swabbed during a secondary screening (other than perhaps the potential for clean socks or feet). Both are an inconvenience and an annoyance.
Spiff (and I) feel that puffers contribute more to security than x-raying shoes ever will.

People are happy with the swabbing because when FFers deny the request to remove shoes, that's a bruise to a TSAers ego. Many times, instead of the SOP swab, they mandate you to secondary (under the lie of 'continuous screening').

I don't think most are happy with swabbing, but it beats the retaliatory secondaries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.