Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Can anyone confirm/detail enforcement of "liquid ban" on US domestic flights?

Old Aug 10, 06, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1P

News/links are implying no bottled water, no toothpaste, no shampoo on US domestic flights including that water purchased/acquired after security will be disallowed. (Does that mean gate screening for everyone?)

Can anyone confirm the enforcement and detail what they went through?

If so, the terrorists have finally done nearly the equivalent of hiding the bomb in their underwear; banning all liquides is the most impractical, stupidest thing tSA has done to date. Good old water (H20) is now a prohibited item, even though pax are made up of about 75% water .

Perhaps this can be used as an impetus to stop the madness.

Edit: (The other thread seems to focus almost entirely on the UK restriction of banning all carry-ons.)
Old Aug 10, 06, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UAL 1K, QF, SPG-G, HILTON
Originally Posted by studentff
News/links are implying no bottled water, no toothpaste, no shampoo on US domestic flights including that water purchased/acquired after security will be disallowed. (Does that mean gate screening for everyone?)

If so, the terrorists have finally done nearly the equivalent of hiding the bomb in their underwear; banning all liquides is the most impractical, stupidest thing tSA has done to date. Good old water (H20) is now a prohibited item, even though pax are made up of about 75% water .

I think you'll just have to get use to it along with no carry-ons. All luggage will be checked from now on and no McDonalds carry-ons either. only cardboard sandwiches on board.

See you in line for the luggage, maybe there is a new business entertaining flyers at the carosel.
Old Aug 10, 06, 6:42 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
This has to be the dumbest, most asinine, ridiculous move EVER by DHS. It makes the shoe carnival look like a joke.
Old Aug 10, 06, 6:55 am

I had friends this am in the US who had their toothpaste and shaving gel confiscated.
Old Aug 10, 06, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
no to h2o?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14282226/

might be

“Consistent with these higher threat levels, the Transportation Security Administration is coordinating with federal partners, airport authorities and commercial airlines on expanding the intensity of existing security requirements,” Chertoff said.

“Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane.”

He said the changes take effect at 4 a.m. local time across the United States and will be undated as warranted.

Northwest Airlines is reminding travelers about new federal restrictions on what they can carry aboard flights.

The Transportation Security Administration announced the moves as British authorities said they foiled a terrorist plot to blow up several airliners headed toward the U-S.

The T-S-A says travelers can't transport any liquids, gels, lotions or similar items in their carry-on luggage. This includes items such as beverages, hairspray, toothpaste and shampoo.

I think the airlines are behind this. They can start charging $5 for water, raise drink prices to $10, and with a new captive audience will be out of bankruptcy in no time.

This won't stop until all pax fly naked. After a full cavity search and an xray.
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by tailfirst
I think you'll just have to get use to it along with no carry-ons. All luggage will be checked from now on and no McDonalds carry-ons either. only cardboard sandwiches on board.
I don't see the no food carry-on of which you speak? My Subway sandwich is not the consistencey of toothpaste.

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
[QUOTE=studentff]News/links are implying no bottled water, no toothpaste, no shampoo on US domestic flights including that water purchased/acquired after security will be disallowed. (Does that mean gate screening for everyone?)

I just talked with Continental's elite desk and yes, water and all beverages are banned at this time from being carried on on all flights, including those wholly in the USA. They were not able to comment, due to lack of information internally, if there would be more beverages available on board, IF ANY. The rep I talked to tried to find out if there would be food service changes but was unable to. Her GUESS was that if the airline provided it it would be allowed on board. I can only gues how miserable your be on a 4 or 5 hour flight with nothing to drink.

I am watching CNN and they have a reporter at ORD and she said that a TSA person told her they would be enforcing these for at least 72 hours.

--PP
Old Aug 10, 06, 7:08 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Ah the old "authority sucks, stuff it!" syndrome is out and about here.

What's the big deal about no H2O etc for a few days until we've had a chance to understand what the plan was?

I'd rather be safe than sorry. Your inconvenience is of no interest to me.
Old Aug 10, 06, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Hate to repeat myself (I posted this on another thread) but in IND the Hudson News store (post security) is not selling water to anyone today. That's how they put it. "We can't sell you any water today". I explained I wasn't going to board the plane with it, I wanted to drink it before departure. It doesn't matter, we can't sell it.

We're talking about freakin' WATER here. What's next, "OK, people. Line up and after you go thru security please hold your breath until your plane leaves the runway. Do not, I repeat, do not use air while in the airport."

As I write this, I am staring at a Aquafina machine selling water to whoever has the cash.
Kudos to the Brits who foiled this plot. ^
To our own officials if they are using this as an opportunity to scare us, well......

Last edited by fireworksboy; Aug 10, 06 at 7:20 am
Old Aug 10, 06, 7:11 am

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
This won't stop until all pax fly naked. After a full cavity search and an xray.
Hmmm, perhaps you've heard about the plot on Pakistan Int'l Airlines that includes suppositories of plastic explosives? Are they going to check out each pax on that airline?

J/K
Old Aug 10, 06, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Chicago aviation commissioner Nuria Fernandez said the only exceptions to the ban on liquids would be breast milk and fruit juices for small and nursing children.

We are still not safe. Wasn't there an episode where MacGuyver improvised a very powerful high explosive out of breast milk with two drops of grape juice for the detonator?

The goal of a terrorist is to terrorize you. They no longer have to get near you to hurt you. Just plan a stupid plot, get caught, and the TSA overreaction will kick into high gear and do the rest for them. They win this round, for those keeping score.
Old Aug 10, 06, 7:28 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
Yet another sad reaction by the TSA.

This is going to suck big time. With hotels providing less and less amenities and airlinejs providing... well, none, business travelers are going to find this VERY inconvenient. Forget about online check in and carry ons. Say hi to long lines for bag check in and endless waits at the bag claim.

I wonder if airlines @ Heathrow are charging excess bag fees.
Old Aug 10, 06, 7:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
I once became ill due to dehydration while flying. It was a complex itinerary, multiple plane changes and delays, long periods of sitting on the tarmac in the sun, etc. Since then I've always carried a lot of water with me. A half cup of soda just doesn't do the job. The water ban has the potential to cause a lot of problems.

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
For Some, It's Not "Inconvenience"

Originally Posted by KevAZ
Ah the old "authority sucks, stuff it!" syndrome is out and about here.

What's the big deal about no H2O etc for a few days until we've had a chance to understand what the plan was?

I'd rather be safe than sorry. Your inconvenience is of no interest to me.
For some people it's a health issue. Are you saying that such people should not have some way to take their medical needs into consideration?

There is no flawless blanket policy. So right back atcha.
Original Poster

Programs: Former UA 1P
Talking points for educating fellow passengers

(I had posted this in another thread, but it was closed without being merged elsewhere.)

To all: We the sane traveler have to take this opportunity to educate our fellow travelers on the stupidity of this poicy, which will certainly be a source of much conversation in the airports. Maybe we should have talking points. What I can think of so far is:

1) Call it the "water ban." Point out that 75% of human body is water.

2) Point out the health and safety issue; people need continuous hydradtion to be healthy. Airlines are not equipped to provide that (and have a history of running out of drinks and potable water).

3) Point out the unenforcability. Enforcement would require shutting all water sources (cafes, water fountains, sinks) airside or doing full bad dumps and body searches at the gate.

4) If politically inclined, point out that the government is again, as always, fighting the last war and making innocent travelers suffer instead of killing and deterring the Islamic terrorists who are the root of the problem.

Search this Thread