Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

London bomb plot foiled + major carry-on restrictions

Old Aug 10, 06, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Story

From the story:
Transparent bags

Passengers will not be allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board in transparent plastic bags.

"We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the government, will need to be in place for a limited period only," the statement said.

Last edited by Cholula; Aug 10, 06 at 7:07 am
Old Aug 10, 06, 12:59 am

List of restrictions

It looks as if you can buy stuff to take on the flight once you are airside BUT if you are flying UK to US you'll have a secondary search at the gate & you won't be allowed to take any liquids on the flight as hand luggage
Old Aug 10, 06, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Brit DofT have lost their freakin minds

Unbelievable. Paranoid fantasy elevated to a truly insane level.

No liquids carried aboard aircraft?

Juvenile fantasy has won and rational adult thought has lost.
Old Aug 10, 06, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I can't imagine anyone travelling from Israel or Europe to the States agreeing to have a connection in England under these restrictions.

This is going to cost BAA a fortune.
Old Aug 10, 06, 1:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum, US Airways, SWA
Originally Posted by alanR
List of restrictions

It looks as if you can buy stuff to take on the flight once you are airside BUT if you are flying UK to US you'll have a secondary search at the gate & you won't be allowed to take any liquids on the flight as hand luggage

Looking on the bright side: since video cameras and laptops are not in the allowed list, the aviation authorities will have to clean up baggage theft!
Old Aug 10, 06, 1:21 am

Insurance companies are going to go wild - laptops, ipods, cameras all in hold luggage. I've flying out of the UK tomorrow & have 2 connections. I'll be surprised if my camera makes it to the far end
Old Aug 10, 06, 1:52 am

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Well I guess I'm not bringing my laptop when I travel to EDI for the Fringe next week. But absolutely nothing in pockets, and contact lens cases without solution? sunglasses and eyeglasses without cases? Probably not bringing my digital camera now either - like I really trust checked baggage for things like that.

Just look at how absurd these restrictions are. Nobody's going to blow up an airplane with a bottle of Visine eyedrops for rewetting contacts (which I'd consider medically necessary on a long flight in thin dry cabin air). It doesn't even seem like you can bring a paperback book for reading material. And I've got to check my car keys and hope they don't lose my checked bag? I've got a VW - the key is an integral part of the electronic fob, and I don't have a separate valet key (bought it used, no valet key).

from http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp
All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing UK airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

* pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));
* travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);
* prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
* spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
* contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.
* for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).
* female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).
* tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs
* keys (but no electrical key fobs)
Old Aug 10, 06, 2:06 am

Programs: BD, BA, VS
Originally Posted by FWAAA

The government has announced that they have arrested 18 people overnight as they foiled a plot to blow up MULTIPLE planes en-route to the US from the UK. I think we can forgive them for being rather cautious at this time. Or would you be happy to get on a plane from the UK to US now knowing this and without any further checks?

I would think it's pretty safe practice to make sure that they don't give anyone who managed to avoid the arrests the chance to hop on a plane and carry out their plan....
Old Aug 10, 06, 2:10 am

Programs: UA, AA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

Originally Posted by MarkUK

The government has announced that they have arrested 18 people overnight as they foiled a plot to blow up MULTIPLE planes en-route to the US from the UK. I think we can forgive them for being rather cautious at this time. Or would you be happy to get on a plane from the UK to US now knowing this and without any further checks?

I would think it's pretty safe practice to make sure that they don't give anyone who managed to avoid the arrests the chance to hop on a plane and carry out their plan....
Be effective, competent, or professional or have a ground stop. End of question. Half-a**ed attempts to make travel 'safe' waste time and resources while providing substandard results and major headaches.
Old Aug 10, 06, 2:12 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Unquestionably, stricter security methods are needed right now. Still, I find it difficult to understand how anyone would be putting a plane at risk by taking a copy of his favorite book on board.
Old Aug 10, 06, 2:12 am

The thing that somebody is forgetting is that the presence of cell phones on the 4th 9/11 flight actually foiled the terrorists' plans for that plane.
Old Aug 10, 06, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or would you be happy to get on a plane from the UK to US now knowing this and without any further checks?
Yes, I would.
Old Aug 10, 06, 2:17 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Unfortunately this one is not completely paranoid fantasy. This one was triggered by the "Crisis in the Middle East" and was explicitly aimed at those countries (and its nationals) that were seen as giving time for the continued hostilities inside Lebanon. And it was airside bomb assembly. No surprise.
Old Aug 10, 06, 2:39 am

Programs: BD, BA, VS
Yes, I would.
Let's spin the question around.

If you're in charge at one of the involved agencies, you are responsible for the safety and security and the lives of many many people. Your colleagues have foiled a plot such as this, and you're not sure if any suspects have slipped the net. How irresponsible or negligent would it be to leave airport security as it was?
Old Aug 10, 06, 2:40 am

Programs: SK*S OZ*G
I'm flying TLL-ARN-LHR in a few hours, on SK. So far, 2 of the LHR flights from CPH (one one BA, one on SK) have been cancelled. From ARN, the first BA flight to LHR looks to be delayed, second flight (on SK) is cancelled.

In terms of the security measures, will they be enforced at my point of departure, or the last airport before entering the UK? I have a lot of work I was planning to do on the plane.. so if they let me with a carry-on in TLL, what happens at ARN? Do they tell me to take my laptop and carryon and check them as checked baggage?

My carry-on isn't really designed to be check... it's flimsy (but also not big). I'm thinking if I should just get my checked bag checked only from TLL-ARN, retrieve it, then put my carry-on items in and re-check it at ARN. Can I do that?

Justin

Search this Thread
Search Engine: