Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

London bomb plot foiled + major carry-on restrictions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London bomb plot foiled + major carry-on restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; AF/KL FB Gold; LX FTL; PC Plat/Amb; SPG Gold; HH Gold; Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by KathrynFlyingAway
The problem at times like these is that decision-makers will feel especially strong about their newly-made rules immediately after a major threat like this one. Decisions made in anger and fear will all seem to be worthwhile- but until reviews and questions and analysis no one knows if the feelings should be kept up.

Of course this is a truly horrifying crime that authorities uncovered. They deserve strong thanks, of course. Goes without saying.

But the horror of this plot doesn't mean that every idea authorities come up with over the next day is worth keeping. Unfortunately, officials have this way of not wanting to say "well, 75% of our first ideas are beneficial, but 25% aren't and we're dropping them quickly."
Thanks for this articulate and enlightening post. As with the ban on metal cutlery on flights to and from the UK, it seems the decision-makers were reluctant to reverse the policy because they felt doing so would amount to saying "we made a mistake", yet by not reversing it they made things even worse. It took years to return to a rational policy.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by redjr
As much as I hate to say it, and don't agree with the idea fundamentally, wouldn't a little racial profiling be in order here rather than re-painting broad security measures for the vast majority of travelers who hold no danger potential? Let's begin to specifically target those that seek to do us harm. The last time I looked I was not wearing a turbin or white robe!
Legacy of Norm Mineta as Secretary of DoT. It is better to treat all people like crap than to treat some people like crap.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As much as I hate to say it, and don't agree with the idea fundamentally, wouldn't a little racial profiling be in order here rather than re-painting broad security measures for the vast majority of travelers who hold no danger potential? Let's begin to specifically target those that seek to do us harm. The last time I looked I was not wearing a turbin or white robe!
Racist profiling, I wholly oppose it for practical and principled reasons.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:22 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dedehans
What about pets mthat travel under the seat in Sherpa Bags or regulation carryons....do they get heaved into the luggage pile ? Haven't seen any mention of this on this fast moving thread.
You think anyone from DHS even stopped to think about things like this?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MP, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors
Well unless something new happens I am done with this thread for now...I need to be productive and I am sure people are sick of my opinions

Good luck to everyone out there travelling the next week or so...Stay calm, keep a cool head, and remember a cold beer or smooth scotch on the rocks can solve all of our problems and turn the worst of situations in the best of times Good luck everyone
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold; AF/KL FB Gold; LX FTL; PC Plat/Amb; SPG Gold; HH Gold; Club Carlson Silver
As much as I hate to say it, and don't agree with the idea fundamentally, wouldn't a little racial profiling be in order here rather than re-painting broad security measures for the vast majority of travelers who hold no danger potential? Let's begin to specifically target those that seek to do us harm. The last time I looked I was not wearing a turbin or white robe!...
Leaving aside the point that clothing is not a racially determined feature, Richard Reid wasn't wearing a turban or a white robe - nor was he even born a muslim. The 4 London bombers wore Western clothes and one was Jamaican IIRR.
I think things have gone beyond the stage where racial and/or garment-based profiling is going to do much good. I'd be more in favour of age profiling - after all who ever heard of a suicide bomber aged over 40?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: NWA Gold Elite, USAirways PC, Delta, Marriott, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Come on Dovster - stop being such a Frankie Factual.

Those pesky facts.

If bottles of water are banned from airplane cabins on 8/09/06, then there will never be another day in the future where allowing them will be "prudent."
Come on FWAAA. You know it's all a big conspiracy by the government and the airports are willing participants. We can take water on once airside, but we'll have to BUY it at the airport. Bottled water can't get more expensive than at the airport! What about Visine or other eye solutions. I use those on every flight. Now Visine will cost about $16 an ounce at the airport. Whose making the money? The airport. And, BTW I feel so much safer...

redjr...
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, LH Cattle Class, SPG
Originally Posted by studentff
The idiots who came up with these knee-jerk policies should be purged from the relevant agencies. Cleaning them out might improve operations overall.
/Rant on

Unfortunately idiots are the ones that typically make it to the top of this type of agency, both sides of the pond. Think of the idiocy of this! What is the point of having security screeners? Are they going to start requesting us to go through naked? Why do we spend all this tax money on these security agencies so they can come up with these insane, idiotic, ridiculous, stupid asinine regulations? I can't take bottled water purchased AFTER security on my flight????!!!! Next thing you know they will be asking you to pee in the "airsickness bags" because it is a security threat to use the lav.

If I were at LHR today and they asked me to check my laptop, I would refuse and they would be giving me directions to the local FedEX/UPS/DHL office. There is no way I would check my laptop on ANY airline.

Do they seriously expect that everyone who is traveling on business is just going to say "Ok Mr. United, I would love to check my laptop so you can loose it and cause me to miss my important presentation in the UK."??? Where are the airline CEO's of this world standing up to the TSA decrying this type of idiocy?

/Rant off
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat
Come on FWAAA. You know it's all a big conspiracy by the government and the airports are willing participants. We can take water on once airside, but we'll have to BUY it at the airport. Bottled water can't get more expensive than at the airport! What about Visine or other eye solutions. I use those on every flight. Now Visine will cost about $16 an ounce at the airport. Whose making the money? The airport. And, BTW I feel so much safer...

redjr...
You cannot take liquids on the plane, even purcased airside.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:30 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by ORDflyr
/ Next thing you know they will be asking you to pee in the "airsickness bags" because it is a security threat to use the lav.
Can't to that either; pee (a liquid) is a prohibited item!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:32 am

Programs: AA
Come on FWAAA. You know it's all a big conspiracy by the government and the airports are willing participants. We can take water on once airside, but we'll have to BUY it at the airport.
Yes yes, you're right, it's a conspiracy!! I'm sure increased bottled water sales were on the the top of their minds when they were looking at ways to keep travelers safe. Brilliant! No one (except you) will ever suspect them! Clever boys!

Erm...no. I think not!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Trying to figure out a good reason why international flights departing from the US would have different "standards" than for flights departing from within the US that also are to land in the US is probably not a useful exercise.
I never accused TSA of adopting useful measures.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Not sure what it emans but I heard the red alert is for international flights taking off from the U.S., not for domestic flights.
Transport Canada is apparently considering implementing similar measures for all domestic flights.

Given the list of prohibited items, I'm thinking that some security lackey picked up a Procter & Gamble quarterly report and misinterpreted plans for "increased Asian presence" to mean a dastardly plot to take over the world. Down with foreign market penetration!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:40 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MarkXS
Well I guess I'm not bringing my laptop when I travel to EDI for the Fringe next week. But absolutely nothing in pockets, and contact lens cases without solution? sunglasses and eyeglasses without cases? Probably not bringing my digital camera now either - like I really trust checked baggage for things like that.

Just look at how absurd these restrictions are. Nobody's going to blow up an airplane with a bottle of Visine eyedrops for rewetting contacts (which I'd consider medically necessary on a long flight in thin dry cabin air). It doesn't even seem like you can bring a paperback book for reading material. And I've got to check my car keys and hope they don't lose my checked bag? I've got a VW - the key is an integral part of the electronic fob, and I don't have a separate valet key (bought it used, no valet key).

from http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ut_612280.hcsp
I'm in the UK as we speak. I scheduled to fly back to Boston next Friday on Virgin Premium Economy (LHR->BOS). One of the first things I did this morning was book a Delta (well Air France) flight from CDG (Paris) -> BOS and a Eurostar ticket from London to Paris. While I'd really like to avoid checking my laptop, the inability to bring reading material and work on board is probably even more annoying.

(As an aside, I seem to be getting less work done today than on 9/11, which is sad. In a sense, they have won.)

Last edited by stc; Aug 10, 2006 at 9:21 am
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MP, Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Honors
Missing the big picture

I believe we are all missing the most important issue which should be at the heart of all discussions and concerns today...How will this affect the drunk people trying to smuggle alcohol onto Southwest flights in nonalcoholic containers? Is no one thinking of these people? How soul less and heartless of all of you to not think of these poor people on this difficult and stressful day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.