FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Crap... Drivers license expiring! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/559451-crap-drivers-license-expiring.html)

JS May 23, 2006 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by ajf3
Thanks for all the replies!

I'll bring the expired one and use the CCW as a backup if I need to...

No, just bring the concealed carry permit. You only one ID, not two.

No one will care if you use a concealed carry permit as ID (except for idiots; see my previous post). Think about it; do you drive your car through security? Then what the heck difference does it make what the purpose of the photo ID is? It's just a photo ID.

ClueByFour May 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by ajf3
No - unfortunately no passport.

This is actually the first time I've flown in years.

Although I do have a valid PA license to carry a concealed weapon that does have my pic on it... would they take that, or would it just open up a whole nother can of worms?

They will at PIT. When I lived there, I used mine.

It's coming back from wherever that you need to worry about. I've found that the TSA (or contractors) in certain states (notably CA and NY) absolutely wig out on out-of-state CCWs.

Aero A Jan 19, 2011 2:54 pm

I don't like taking my driver's license out because if I misplace it, I can't rent a car. I now have two licenses, a newly issued one sent in the mail and one that expires in 2 weeks.

Will the TSA accept the old one? Their website doesn't mention about expiration dates invalidating the ID for airport purposes.

oboshoe Jan 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by ajf3 (Post 5793861)
No - unfortunately no passport.

This is actually the first time I've flown in years.

Although I do have a valid PA license to carry a concealed weapon that does have my pic on it... would they take that, or would it just open up a whole nother can of worms?

I use my CCW quite often for ID at the TSA grope-point.

I do it mostly for grins to watch the TDC shift around uncomfortably.

A few trips back:

TDC: Mumble muble something
me: Pardon?
TDC: Do you have mumble mumble?
me: Oh thats a valid government id.
TDC: mumble...(now whispering).."are you carrying a gun now"
me: nope.
TDC: ok. squiggle squiggle on the BP.

So far no extra molestation, other than the normal penis rub when I opt out.

cparekh Jan 19, 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by oboshoe (Post 15692507)
I use my CCW quite often for ID at the TSA grope-point.

I do it mostly for grins to watch the TDC shift around uncomfortably.

A few trips back:

TDC: Mumble muble something
me: Pardon?
TDC: Do you have mumble mumble?
me: Oh thats a valid government id.
TDC: mumble...(now whispering).."are you carrying a gun now"
me: nope.
TDC: ok. squiggle squiggle on the BP.

So far no extra molestation, other than the normal penis rub when I opt out.

Instead of "nope" you could answer "why would you ask me that?" or "does my answer matter, I am about to pass through security?"

chicaloca453 Aug 21, 2011 10:16 am

Hello All,

I found this thread while googling since my passport was much to my dismay stolen during a domestic trip. Luckily I was carrying an ID that expired last November. I no longer live in that state which is why it wasn't renewed. Anyway I got zero grief at three airports and major headaches at one.

The TSA guy in Orlando told me as long as the ID is within a year of expiration agents were told to say nothing. Other airports with no grief were Atlanta and Washington Dulles. The airport that gave me grief was San Diego.

I was worried cause the ID is 6-10 years old (issue date) and doesn't look a whole lot like me. Different hair, fuller face, etc. I can also understand the concern since someone could steal ID and travel on my name with intent to do harm. That being said, if someone wants to steal my ID and fly my mileage runs, I'm cool with that. Lol. Gives me time for other things. J/k of course but how sweet would that be? ;)

Anyway I just wanted to share my experience with you. Only one airport even noticed the date. I asked in Orlando after the issues in San Diego or it would not have been brought up.

So basically rule of thumb is if your ID is 5 years expired (aforementioned military excluded) then expect problems. But if it's within a year, only expect issues in San Diego. Hope that helps.