Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

No Stars & Stripes for USA's Team Bus at World Cup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2006, 9:33 am
Original Poster

The official team bus to be used by the United States during the World Cup will not bear a flag for security reasons.

The 32 official buses were presented Thursday in Frankfurt, and the other 31 buses have large national flags of their teams painted on the rear sides

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...367027&cc=5739

Perhaps a bit off-topic around here, but it's a real shame that Americans even have to make such considerations when traveling abroad (especially at an event that is all about national pride!)
Old May 5, 2006, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

32 buses. 31 of which have huge non-USA flags painted on them. One bus without a flag. How difficult would it be to pick out the USA team bus?

Just more idiocy.
Old May 5, 2006, 11:36 am

Sam's Army will protect it!
Old May 5, 2006, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
32 buses. 31 of which have huge non-USA flags painted on them. One bus without a flag. How difficult would it be to pick out the USA team bus?
I think a generic bus will actually be much more difficult to pick out than one painted with flags. It won't be 32 buses sitting in a parking lot or driving in a convoy. They'll be going all over Germany. The teams will stay in different locations and have totally different schedules.
Old May 5, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Over Here, Over There

Originally Posted by bigbrownboy
Perhaps a bit off-topic around here, but it's a real shame that Americans even have to make such considerations when traveling abroad
OTOH, reality is Keep a Low Profile--It's Safer.

Every time I stop by my AAA office I see the travel items they sell. Including a big luggage tag with a big American flag on the back. It always makes me think that any tourist with one of those might as well wear a T shirt with a bulls eye on both sides and the word "TARGET" written in Arabic. That's not paranoia, that's simple reality these days.
Old May 5, 2006, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Flaflyer

Every time I stop by my AAA office I see the travel items they sell. Including a big luggage tag with a big American flag on the back. It always makes me think that any tourist with one of those might as well wear a T shirt with a bulls eye on both sides and the word "TARGET" written in Arabic. That's not paranoia, that's simple reality these days.
This is where Canadian flags come in handy
Old May 5, 2006, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
This is where Canadian flags come in handy
Just as long as you "go ooot to play 'ockey."

'aye???

Fer shure!
Old May 6, 2006, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I a target?

Maybe I've misunderstood but does your post imply that the current reality is that having something that defines yourself as an American visible when travling abroad is going to invite a rocket launcher aimed right at you, I guess by an Arabic speaking person? Seems a little over the top.

I'm going to be wearing a USA Soccer jersey every day in Germany when I travel for the cup next month. I was thinking of getting one with the initials G.W. Bush on the back but though that some might not find humor in it . Anyhow, I plan on coming home alive from this trip...do you think I should reconsider?
Old May 6, 2006, 3:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'm going to be wearing a USA Soccer jersey every day in Germany when I travel for the cup next month.
When I went to the Olympics in Athens, I was prepared not to wear USA clothing. After seeing the heavy security in place, as well as flags from other countries being worn throughout the city, I started wearing my USA clothing. No problems at all the entire time I was there.
Old May 7, 2006, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Maybe I've misunderstood but does your post imply that the current reality is that having something that defines yourself as an American visible when travling abroad is going to invite a rocket launcher aimed right at you, I guess by an Arabic speaking person? Seems a little over the top.
What I am saying is that IF someone speaking whatever language is driving around looking for a kidnap victim, or is out for a little Sunday afternoon drive-by RPG action, being the only one on the block wearing the American flag T shirt will certainly not decrease your chances of being chosen as todays target.
Old May 7, 2006, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
looking for a kidnap victim, or is out for a little Sunday afternoon drive-by RPG action
Somehow I don't think this will be a major concern in Frankfurt.
Old May 7, 2006, 9:14 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Not a particularly new issue

Originally Posted by bigbrownboy
The official team bus to be used by the United States during the World Cup will not bear a flag for security reasons.

The 32 official buses were presented Thursday in Frankfurt, and the other 31 buses have large national flags of their teams painted on the rear sides

Back in 1991 or so (whenever Iraq War I started), the US Downhill ski team got pulled out of world cup competition for a few weeks, then returned with no distinguishing clothing/car markings/etc.
And I think it was a safe bet back then, and still would be now, that a downhill ski race is NOT a likely place to find middle eastern terrorists. Not to mention that the average American reaction to an attack on a DH race would be "the US *HAS* a downhill ski racing team outside the Olympics".

"Right on the Edge of Crazy" is a very entertaining book about the US ski team in those years, and it has a good chapter on the whole incident.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/078...Fencoding=UTF8

Bob
Old May 8, 2006, 10:36 am

Programs: just above cargo
out for a little Sunday afternoon drive-by RPG action
This is undoubtedly more of a risk in Florida than Frankfurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.