Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

If the passengers/FAs regained control of those 4 flights on 9/11, could they land?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If the passengers/FAs regained control of those 4 flights on 9/11, could they land?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was wondering what would have happend on 9/11 if the passengers and flight attendants were able to regain control of those four UA & AA jets.

Assuming all the pilots had all been incapacitated by the terrorist .......s, could the passengers and the flight attendants continued to fly and land the planes?

Or could the air force have dropped pilots into these planes?
(yes, like in the movies, can't remember which movie... but I think Kurt Russell was in it)

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
We will never know the answer, but one thing for sure they would have had a better chance than they had.
I am not a pilot, but a licensed "aircraft dispatcher". It would've been a long shot at best.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by af250xxl
I was wondering what would have happend on 9/11 if the passengers and flight attendants were able to regain control of those four UA & AA jets.

Assuming all the pilots had all been incapacitated by the terrorist .......s, could the passengers and the flight attendants continued to fly and land the planes?

Or could the air force have dropped pilots into these planes?
(yes, like in the movies, can't remember which movie... but I think Kurt Russell was in it)

Thanks!
These days the chance that the planes had a dead header or non-reving pilot on them is decent, so there may have been someone in the back capable of landing them.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The answer is yes, possibly. Todays full motion simulators have allowed a number of interested people, usually private or student pilots, to answer that question for themselves.

One description here

Personally I've never flown a heavy full-motion sim, but I have landed Shuttle from 100,000 ft. using the full-motion simulator at Ames Research. Of course the flight control computers and HUD were running or I would have been toast immediately.

Edit to say that Autoland is not an uncommon feature in long-haul commercial aircraft. I don't know what it would take to set that up, but once you turn it on the plane should fly down the glideslope and park on the runway all by itself.

Last edited by birdstrike; Feb 11, 2006 at 8:54 pm
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:20 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
If you mean a non-ATP-rated passenger, then the answer is no. Not a chance. And in-flight transfers are a complete Hollywood fabrication.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:59 am
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
If you mean a non-ATP-rated passenger, then the answer is no. Not a chance. And in-flight transfers are a complete Hollywood fabrication.

Why not? An ATP isnt that big a deal.

What about someone who has a CAMEL and is Instrument rated and a CFI ????

And before someone asks...

Commercial Airplane Pilot, Multi Engine Land
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:27 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by billinaz
Why not? An ATP isnt that big a deal.

What about someone who has a CAMEL and is Instrument rated and a CFI ????

And before someone asks...

Commercial Airplane Pilot, Multi Engine Land
Agreed... it would highly depend on your knowledge of systems. A B757/767 can pretty much fly and land itself with the proper autopilot and FMS inputs. If someone on board knows how to work the FMS, they could probably autoland it and stop it on the runway using autobrakes.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, HA, Qantas
The Flight attendants are required to learn radio usage. So as long as someone on the airplane FA/or pax could make radio contact, and the aircraft was stable at that moment, they most likely could have been coached down, given the level of automation available as the previous posts suggested. Still alot of "ifs" but could be done most likely.

Plane out of control, or even just in an unusual attitude/weather/non visual conditions would have made it very difficult.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would expect them to make it down.

The automation on board can deal with most of the details and the radio can get them directions as to what to tell the computers. Those were fueled for transcontinental flight--send them out west and land them one of the huge lakebed runways out there. That way you have more time for the one time critical task they must perform.

Stick an appropriate pilot in the backseat of an F-15 and have it fly along near the plane so the pilot can actually see what's going on when giving directions.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Cat III Landing

I thought a CAT III plane can almost land itself? Weather was good everywhere, these were top of the line planes from the best airlines in the world. Full fuel loads with lots of time to plan, etc.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Originally Posted by sbrower
I thought a CAT III plane can almost land itself? Weather was good everywhere, these were top of the line planes from the best airlines in the world. Full fuel loads with lots of time to plan, etc.
I thought the same thing an was told as much when I did work for an airline. But we were corrected by Larry J who is a commercial pilot. No plane can take off, fly to the destination and land itself. I was told back then that 757 - 767 were pilot optional planes.

Who are you going to believe? Airline workers or a real pilot. But I still have to assume that the automation can only help.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
I thought the same thing an was told as much when I did work for an airline. But we were corrected by Larry J who is a commercial pilot. No plane can take off, fly to the destination and land itself. I was told back then that 757 - 767 were pilot optional planes.

Who are you going to believe? Airline workers or a real pilot. But I still have to assume that the automation can only help.
There are two separate statements here. It is true that no (civilian) plane can take off and fly to its destination unassisted.

The assertion being made in this thread is that a properly equipped aircraft can make an ILS IIIc approach and landing. That is zero ceiling and zero visibility. i.e. land by itself. This capability has existed since Concorde.

Frequent flyers may well have flown such an approach and landing during a normal flight when the system is being tested. I hear that the landing is describe as "firm".
Old Feb 12, 2006, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
747 pilots have told me that Microsoft Flight Simulator is actually more unforgiving than the real deal, and I have plenty of Flight Simulator hours as well as some real-world cockpit lessons, so I'd take a shot. I think I could do it.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I think I could be talked through setting up an auto-land.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:28 am
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by Bart; Jan 2, 2008 at 5:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.