Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List Of Shoe Carnival Airports And Those That Do It Right: The Sequel

Old Nov 6, 05, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium

Thanks to MSY-MSP for starting the original Shoe Carnival thread which has quickly become the most popular thread in TS/S history.
The original thread can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...56#post4830856
The size and age of the thread has made it somewhat unwieldy and out-of-date so a suggestion was made to relaunch it. As we all know, TSA policies vary dramatically by airport and even at the same airport over time.
Please post your recent Shoe Carnival observations and comments so that the rest of your fellow FlyerTalk members can learn from your experience.
Thanks.

Last edited by Cholula; Nov 6, 05 at 8:53 pm
Old Nov 6, 05, 11:50 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
LAS is a crapshoot (pun intended ) It depends if the blue-shirted airport helpers are there. They do have a video on a loop saying shoes under 1" are okay though, but the airport helpers make everyone take everything off.

argh
Old Nov 7, 05, 2:17 am
par

Programs: UA 2K GS, SQ PPS, AA Ruby, NW Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
SFO is a shoe carnival. And the floors are never clean...
Old Nov 7, 05, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gate Louse Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Looks like it's time to renew the idea of the shoe carnival airport website.

I came up with the idea in August, and some said they would help create it with me. It's just been on the backburner with other stuff.
Old Nov 7, 05, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Superguy
Looks like it's time to renew the idea of the shoe carnival airport website.

I came up with the idea in August, and some said they would help create it with me. It's just been on the backburner with other stuff.
I'd be happy to help you with the site. I can also offer a place to host it if needed!

Edited to add: shoe-carnival.com is available
-Chris
Old Nov 7, 05, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gate Louse Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I'm thinking airportshoecarnivals.com

Reason being I don't want to get into a domain dispute with Shoe Carnival Inc. and I think airportshoecarnivals would be easiest to defend.
Old Nov 7, 05, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Recommended to remove shoes this morning at ICT, gladly responded "no thanks". A slight hesitation, but I was not instructed to move over to secondary.

At ICT the morning folks are much nicer than those in the afternoon.
Old Nov 7, 05, 9:05 am

Programs: AC*E
last Tues at PDX, got the "recommendation".... then a full secondary for not complying.
Old Nov 7, 05, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by highflyer88
last Tues at PDX, got the "recommendation".... then a full secondary for not complying.
Probably because they were "too busy" to have someonet there to comply with SOP.

That was the reason I got at IAD for my trip to the penalty box.
Old Nov 7, 05, 9:24 am

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
BDL last week, I told the screener it didn't have any metal in it, and they pass
WTMD all the time without problems, and she basically threatened me with secondary, and no the heels weren’t high.

now only if I had time, I would have never remove those shoes
Old Nov 7, 05, 10:24 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

DCA 7:00 a.m. yesterday (Sunday)

Recommended removing shoes. Everyone was complying. I decided not to. The "officer" (HA) looked at my shoes, looked like he was going to say something, but after quicky going through and not beeping, actually gave me a pass and let me go.
Old Nov 7, 05, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, Bonvoy Plat Life, Amtrak S+, HH, DL, B6, MR
LGA
Marine Terminal - no carnival 99% of the time (in my experience)
Main D gates - carnival most of the time
Main C gates - depends on the screener

BOS
A - no carnival most of the time
B - depends on the screener
Old Nov 7, 05, 4:30 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
I fought the law...and *I* won ;)

ORD, Terminal 1 Elite Line

TSA woman was "recommending" all shoes off. I held my foot up as I usually do and said "They aren't profile." She said "Oh, yeah, and what's profile?" I said that they have soles under an inch thick and don't alarm the metal detector. She said "Are you telling me that those soles are less than an inch?" to which I replied yes and offered to have them measured with a ruler (I had plenty of time this morning! ). She waved her thumb across the sole, said that her thumb was an inch and that therefore my soles must be bigger and therefore I'd have to remove the shoes. I said that I'd prefer not to, and I'd be glad to have them tested because it was my understanding that that was the current policy. She was politely belligerent, if that is possible--thanked me for knowing the policy but seemed to want very badly to make my life more difficult.

I walked through, no alarm, was sent to the pen for a swab. No staff nearby, and I didn't hear her yell for anybody. After a few seconds, I asked her whether there was a ruler available, (thinking that I was sitting there anyway, might as well amuse myself) and pointed out to her that I'd never had a problem before, in any of my travels, with somebody claiming that the shoes were a problem. She then waved me BACK through the WTMD, had me walk through again (no alarm) and sent me on my way.

My hunch is that they just didn't have any staff to do a swab. But the end result was as it should have been from the beginning. FYI, these are Docksiders/boat shoes. Nearly no sole at all, with a very slightly raised heel area. I'll measure them sometime when I think of it.
Old Nov 7, 05, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
TSA woman was "recommending" all shoes off. I held my foot up as I usually do and said "They aren't profile." She said "Oh, yeah, and what's profile?" I said that they have soles under an inch thick and don't alarm the metal detector. She said "Are you telling me that those soles are less than an inch?" to which I replied yes and offered to have them measured with a ruler (I had plenty of time this morning! ). She waved her thumb across the sole, said that her thumb was an inch and that therefore my soles must be bigger and therefore I'd have to remove the shoes.
Just buy a six inch plastic ruler ($0.25 or less) and keep it with you as you go through the WTMD (it's very thin and flexible). If they question the sole, offer the ruler. Funny how no screener (excuse me, I meant "officer") has ever taken me up on the offer.
Old Nov 9, 05, 12:45 am

Des Moines (DSM) had Shoe Carnival today, but offered slippers to put over your sox. I thought that was interesting. Wondered if it was only during their renovation though.

I'd rather have no carnival music and just go normal, but the slippers were at least an admission by TSA or the airport that walking on the bare ground and filthy carpet is thoroughly disgusting.

Search this Thread