Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List Of Shoe Carnival Airports And Those That Do It Right: The Sequel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List Of Shoe Carnival Airports And Those That Do It Right: The Sequel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2005, 6:43 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Pat89339
SFO 11/23 Terminal 3, Elite Line ~5:00 a.m. Barker about shoes (way too early in the AM for that kind of noise) and I was offered the puffer because I didn't remove my shoes. The puffer attendant seemed to really enjoy his job. He warned me to hold onto my hair (it's long) and it was good advice! I got the green light then went through the WTMD without a beep, so I was able to collect my belongings and head to the RCC.
the puffer is the only way to go ^. even tho i am "folically deprived" (or is it depraved ), i can see what you mean and this lil' ole' shoe protester will ask for the the puffer every time vs the tsa folks offering it. another tip-if you wear glasses, either close your eyes or take them off and hold them in your hand as the blast of air when it goes between your eyes and the glasses is quite strong (and the same if you wear contacts, close your eyes).
Old Nov 25, 2005, 8:24 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by goalie
the puffer is the only way to go ^.
Where is the puffer located at SFO? The checkpoint neareast the Int'l Terminal or the other checkpoint?
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Where is the puffer located at SFO? The checkpoint neareast the Int'l Terminal or the other checkpoint?
i don't know if there is one at the int'l terminal but there are 2 at the main security checkpoints-1 in the 1k/first line and one for the main line. the 1k uint is up front (to your left) just as you exit the "snake"-you can't miss it. the one in the main line is (as you face the wtmd's) is kinda hidden to the left rear off near the "holding/ssss screening area). if the 1k line is not open, using the puffer in the main line is a no brainer for me.

for the 1kline, all you gotta do is ask as you get to the end of the snake but for the main line, ask as you get close to the end of the snake or when the "guide" is about to put you into the first open lane. go thru with all your stuff on (i.e. jacket) or take your wallet out of your coat as the screener will be keeping tabs on your bags, coat etc. for me it's easy-everything is in my coat pockets and i use the puffer with my coat on and then put the coat "in the little grey bin"

hope this helps
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
FRA last Tuesday, 11/22 - Shoe carnival was OK, but they still p!$$3d me off.

Went to an empty WTMD line, and after unloading everything, was FORCED to repack and go to another line reserved for handicapped (I have one arm). even though the line I was in was open, and I could easily proceed, I was told that the other line, all the way on the other side of the security area and backed up by frail elderly, was for "people like you."

Boy was I steamed.

Other than that, OK. connecting in CVG no problem, although a Spaniard next to me had a bad time with a Zippo.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHattery
FRA last Tuesday, 11/22 - Shoe carnival was OK, but they still p!$$3d me off.
Ironically enough, I also went through FRA on 11/22. I too can attest to the non-shoe carnival scene there.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 3:32 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
11/24 Sdf-atl-lax-mel

Greetings!

Did the above routing on Turkey Day and am now back in Melbourne.

SDF: Full Shoe Carnival in effect - it wasn't very busy, but was told I would be sent to secondary if I did not remove em'. As I took an earlier flight to ATL, I didn't have time & removed the shoes. I also had a lighter I thought I lost - when my coat went through the x-ray machine, it was found and promptly confiscated -- however, the TSA employee was also a smoker and quite polite about it. The screener made her feelings known she didn't care much for the lighter ban.

LAX - Tom Bradley Intl Terminal: No shoe carnival at all & friendly staff ^ ^ . This checkpoint has always been good - have yet to encounter a shoe carnival at the TBIT terminal.

SDF_Traveler
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I didn't see one going through security into the international terminal in August, but perhaps it's a recent addition - Say, is SFO still privatized? Or did they dump Vanguard?..
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
ORD 11/26- Very nice time with the Shoe Carnival entering Terminal 3 (Can't remember which checkpoint, had just got off an international flight). The screener said 'I suggest you take your shoes off'. They were new leather shoes and quite tight so I said 'They're pretty hard to get off and on so I'm going to keep them on.' Went through and didn't beep, but got sent for a secondary. A very 'friendly' TSA screener asked for my shoes- I asked if I could keep them for the same reason I didn't take them off in the first place. Pointed out that I didn't cause the machine to go off. No luck, forced to give up my shoes. Enjoyed the screen slightly as I had a belt/watch on that I forgot about. TSA agent was annoyed.

What's the protocol if you choose to keep your shoes on and don't set off the machine- is the diversion to the secondary line arbitrary?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Peatisback
ORD 11/26- Very nice time with the Shoe Carnival entering Terminal 3 (Can't remember which checkpoint, had just got off an international flight). The screener said 'I suggest you take your shoes off'. They were new leather shoes and quite tight so I said 'They're pretty hard to get off and on so I'm going to keep them on.' Went through and didn't beep, but got sent for a secondary. A very 'friendly' TSA screener asked for my shoes- I asked if I could keep them for the same reason I didn't take them off in the first place. Pointed out that I didn't cause the machine to go off. No luck, forced to give up my shoes. Enjoyed the screen slightly as I had a belt/watch on that I forgot about. TSA agent was annoyed.

What's the protocol if you choose to keep your shoes on and don't set off the machine- is the diversion to the secondary line arbitrary?
Supposedly if there isn't someone there to immediately swab you, you get sent to the penalty box.

I hope you filed a complaint form.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Superguy
I hope you filed a complaint form.
No, I didn't, as I wasn't sure what the rules were. Does the form have to be filled out at the time, or is there something on the TSA website I can fill in?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
AUS has been pretty good about not demanding the removal of tennis shoes. ^
Old Nov 29, 2005, 5:57 am

US trips in the past two weeks:

GSO: Yes, and they wonder why they're the slowest airport in terms of screening times in the nation.
ROA: No
SNA: No, but they have moat dragons that like to yell.
LAX: No
DTW: No, but I passed through the hotel, so maybe they're more relaxed there?
DFW: Yes. They needed killin. For the Texas trivia buffs: http://www.dallashistory.org/cgi-bin...ames;read=1229
EWR: I was watching them at two checkpoints for several minutes, yes.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:29 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Two for two with no carnival

BMI - 11/25 - Went through without a problem.

LAS - Concourse D - 11/29 - Again, no problem.

I'm shocked!

Greg
Old Nov 30, 2005, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Doppy
LAS is a carnival at terminal D - all shoes off. If you refuse, they'll argue with you for a while before letting you through the WTMD and sending you to secondary.

Also, don't try to keep an eye on your bags while you're in the secondary holding area or they'll really get upset. Apparently they think it's OK if your stuff gets stolen.

Supervisor on duty this past Saturday night thinks this is the only and best way to run an airport.
Don't know what happened at LAS, but I fly through at least 6 times a year and have never had my New Balance sneakers questioned - until this fall. Seems like they have gone from one extreme to another - got the secondary, complained to a supervisor who seems surprised that I've never been questioned, and then was really surprised when I was stopped again leaving screening area for BP check - the 3rd one! This is also some new procedure at LAS.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 9:01 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Thanksgiving weekend superfecta!

11/23: SFO terminal 3: Shoes on, no beep, swab only. ^

11/26: HNL (hold onto your slippahs!) Shoes on, no beep, swab only! ^

11/27: LAX terminal 7: Shoes on, no beep, swab only. ^

11/29: HNL (hold onto your slippahs!): Shoes on, no beep, swab only. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.