Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List Of Shoe Carnival Airports And Those That Do It Right: The Sequel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List Of Shoe Carnival Airports And Those That Do It Right: The Sequel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by powerplantop
LGA on Fri. firmly requested that I remove my shoes. My firm response "I Prefer to keep them on" I figured since they say one thing and mean another I can do the same. In this case I meant that I was leaving them on. Quick swab and away I went.
95 percent of the time that I don't heed the "suggestion" at LGA, I get the full Monty. Glad to read that you did not.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Does this mean we will see the shoe carnival at every US airport, or just for ones that have flights to the UK?

Statement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

The Department of Homeland Security is taking immediate steps to increase security measures in the aviation sector in coordination with heightened security precautions in the United Kingdom. … [T]he United States Government has raised the nation's threat level to Severe, or Red, for commercial flights originating in the United Kingdom bound for the United States. This adjustment reflects the Critical, or highest, alert level that has been implemented in the United Kingdom. To defend further against any remaining threat from this plot, we will also raise the threat level to High, or Orange, for all commercial aviation operating in or destined for the United States. Consistent with these higher threat levels, the Transportation Security Administration is coordinating with federal partners, airport authorities and commercial airlines on expanding the intensity of existing security requirements. Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane. This determination will be constantly evaluated and updated when circumstances warrant. These changes will take effect at 4:00 AM local time across the country. Travelers should also anticipate additional security measures within the airport and at screening checkpoints.

These measures will continue to assure that our aviation system remains safe and secure. Travelers should go about their plans confidently, while maintaining vigilance in their surroundings and exercising patience with screening and security officials. …

The U.K. Department for Transport issued traveling advice to air passengers following an announcement that a major terror plot had been thwarted.

Following this morning's police action, security at all U.K. airports has been increased and additional security measures have been put in place for all flights.

With immediate effect, the following arrangements apply to all passengers starting their journey at a U.K. airport and to those transferring between flights at a U.K. airport.

All cabin baggage must be processed as hold baggage and carried in the hold of passenger aircraft departing U.K. airports.

Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:

• pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags);

• travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);

• prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.

• spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.

• contact lens holders, without bottles of solution.

• for those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags).

• female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes).

• tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs

• keys (but no electrical key fobs)

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened. Pushchairs and walking aids must be x-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition to the above, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be removed from the passenger.

There are no changes to current hold baggage security measures.

Regrettably, significant delays at airports are inevitable. Passengers are being asked to allow themselves plenty of extra time and to ensure that other than the few permitted items listed above, all their belongings are placed in their hold baggage and checked in.

These additional security measures will make travel more difficult for passengers, particularly at such a busy time of the year. But they are necessary and will continue to keep flights from U.K. airports properly secure. We hope that these measures, which are being kept under review by the Government, will need to be in place for a limited period only. In light of the threat to aviation and the need to respond to it, we are asking the travelling public to be patient and understanding and to cooperate fully with airport security staff and the police.

If passengers have any questions on their travel arrangements or security in place at airports they should contact their airline or carrier.

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
A friend traveling today said ALL shoes must come off. No exceptions.

But on the bright side the lines have not been very long.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
A friend traveling today said ALL shoes must come off. No exceptions.

But on the bright side the lines have not been very long.
What airport? Either you forgot to put a next to the "lines have not been very long" comment, or your friend hasn't flown through PHL or numerous other airports with lines stretching for up to 2 hours in length.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
Larry Fetters @ LAX

Just said in a news conference with the mayor that ALL shoes are coming off, no exceptions.

My kid is flying to Chicago on Sunday on WN and they are saying 2-3 hours ahead of time for additional screening too. Wonderful. And my son is flying home from PHX this afternoon. Wonder how long he will be delayed.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:02 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
So is this thread on hold till the (hopefully temporary) new shoe removal rules are gone? Every airport is now a shoe carnival now.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by photog72
So is this thread on hold till the (hopefully temporary) new shoe removal rules are gone? Every airport is now a shoe carnival now.
Well at least its consistent now - I never liked trying to remember which is which. Too bad though - I'm going to miss dropping the "Imelda" jokes and alike along with telling the disbelieving TSA guys how their bretheren in certain other airports didn't have the same affinity for foot odor.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I can verify that the new order makes taking off all shoes mandatory everywhere. However, at SDF on Friday evening at about 430PM, the lines were about the same or less than any other Friday afternoon.

It appears that the clown who supervises the TSA station there managed to get enough of his workers not to call in sick so that three of the six WTMDs could be manned instead of the usual two.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I guess this means the screeners will actually be following their own procedure now. At least it's not their fault anymore. I talked to one a few weeks ago in ATL (when they were doing a "mandatory" day) and he was more pissed off than I was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.