Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Tony Winning Actors Partner Detained and Charged by TSA for Joke

Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist

Article
This is more great powertripping by TSA folk. Why don't we now start warning "Anything you say may be used against you" with the "Shoes off" speach?
Old Nov 3, 2005, 10:06 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Thanks for posting this ^

"TSA did not respond to repeated calls for comment.

It could have been worse. Under Homeland Security rules, Redwood could have been detained for up to a week without being able to contact his partner."

...?? How does the TSA or DHS have any authority to arrest and detain? I thought that was the perview of the local LEA? They are usually the only sane people of authority at most airports!

2) On the NEC (Newport News to Portland, ME) Amtrak is the way to go for me just because of this kind of thing.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:33 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
So much for freedom of speech. The is yet another disgraceful example of Government employees out of control.

How does this incident makes us any safer flying, which is what the TSA at airports should be concerned with?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:56 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
"TSA is a hopelessly flawed agency and not good at respecting rights and dignities of passengers," Steinhardt told PlanetOut Network.
'nuff said. Therapy Strongly Advised strikes again.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I cannot believe this happened - there is nothing offensive about his joke, and believe it or not, I have heard the very same thing from other people who were led off to secondary. According to the article, he made no mention of a weapon or planned attack - nothing he said was threatening, and in my opinion, it was legally protected speech. The TSA's reaction is ridiculous and the people involved should be terminated, and subject to criminal charges for illegal detainment, civil rights violations, and other affronts to the Constitution. That agency is out of control and needs to be neutered - perhaps without the benefit of anesthesia.

I am surprised they didn't seize the assets of yahoo for reporting the two were led to secondary because it's a common occurance for passengers who buy one-way tickets - isn't that releasing SSI?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
So much for freedom of speech.
What makes you think the 1st Amendment is still in effect ? 4th and 5th have been revoked.

Anyway, the "Contempt of Screener" offence trumps everything else. We're at war, don't you know ?
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:11 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'll actually admit to having been worried a few times previously when, after a particularly idiotic encounter with the TSA, making some comments to my traveling partners about how stupid the whole thing was. I worried that some do-gooder infrequent flier would have overheard my criticisms and gone straight to report "suspicious behavior" to the nearest LEO.

This situation, even if taken at a midway point between the detainee's story and the official TSA party line on the incident, is ridiculous and something that should be grounds for a huge lawsuit. Problem is, the TSA would probably claim SSI everything if taken to court.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:21 am

1) TSA Officers don't have the power to arrest. It was more than likely an APD Officer that dragged him off in his socks.

2) Why is that fact that's he's gay and black mentioned in this article? There is no need for it to be mentioned.

3) As far as the rest of it, I can't comment because I wasn't there. There are two sides to every story. I've seen many incorrectly reported news articles about incidents that have happened at my airport. I've also seen many passengers and screeners overreact to things such as this...
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Doesn't this makes us proud to be Americans?

It really is impressive when we can attain a level of government behavior which would make both Joseph McCarthy and Osama bin Lauden happy. Politics makes strange bedfellows.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by TSAJohn
2) Why is that fact that's he's gay and black mentioned in this article? There is no need for it to be mentioned.
Perhaps the reporter is suggesting that one or both of these characteristics contributed to the way he was treated ? Which may or may not be the case of course.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Perhaps the reporter is suggesting that one or both of these characteristics contributed to the way he was treated ? Which may or may not be the case of course.
The gay part is because its an article for PlanetOut, a gay news service...
Old Nov 4, 2005, 1:30 pm
J-M
Suspended

Who cares that he's gay or that his partner is a "gay actor". It contributes absolutely nothing to the story. Sounds a lot like a media sympathy ploy to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.