Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tape measure in carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Tape measure in carry-on?

Is a tape measure (Stanley 12' x 1/2") permitted in my carryon?
I checked the list on the TSA site but it wasn't listed there, and couldn't find it in a search here.

How about a torpedo level (those are small levels, about 9" long). I'm assuming that is not permitted (too bad, I want to check if the walls are plumb and square).

I'm flying to California on Monday to measure a clients site, only have a few hours there before I return, so I don't have any checked luggage and I'd like to have everything I need at hand.

TIA,
Old Oct 15, 2005, 9:46 pm

Programs: unemployment
I'm flying to California on Monday to measure a clients site, only have a few hours there before I return, so I don't have any checked luggage and I'd like to have everything I need at hand.

Yes sir, all of these are allowed to be carried in carry on. Only tools (pliers, hammers, etc) are restricted to your checked baggage. Have a safe flight.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I'm wondering.. In what world isn't tape measure a tool.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I'm wondering.. In what world isn't tape measure (and levels) a tool.
Edit mine
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doober
Edit mine
Thanks. I didn't notice the levels. Sheer insanity.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:58 am

I guess the way they figure it a tool is something used to manipulate something else, like drill a hole, screw a screw, pound a nail, turn a bolt etc. Looking at it that way, a tape measure isn't a tool - it's a measuring device.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myrgirl
I guess the way they figure it a tool is something used to manipulate something else, like drill a hole, screw a screw, pound a nail, turn a bolt etc. Looking at it that way, a tape measure isn't a tool - it's a measuring device.
I guess that makes sense. Terrorists wouldn't use non-tools to do manipulative things like that. You couldn't, for instance, pound anything the way you could with a hammer, using anything but a hammer.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

There was a section of a thread about this and Bart explained it. Essentially prohibited tools are those which change things- cut, attach, slice, dissassemble, pry, etc.

My concern about the items I need to carry doesn't come from them being tools, but more from them being metal objects.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:13 am

I guess that makes sense. Terrorists wouldn't use non-tools to do manipulative things like that. You couldn't, for instance, pound anything the way you could with a hammer, using anything but a hammer.
I agree with you there. But the line has to be drawn somewhere and I'd prefer it not be drawn where speculation such as yours comes into play. Personally I could think of a ton of ways to use non-tools as tools including the change in my purse and my thumbnails.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myrgirl
I agree with you there. But the line has to be drawn somewhere and I'd prefer it not be drawn where speculation such as yours comes into play. Personally I could think of a ton of ways to use non-tools as tools including the change in my purse and my thumbnails.
Does this mean that we're not really safe? Five Billion dollars a year, and we're not really safe?
Old Oct 16, 2005, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Does this mean that we're not really safe? Five Billion dollars a year, and we're not really safe?
Complaining, complaining. If you are earning five billion dollars a year, you can afford a private bodyguard.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bambi47
Yes sir, all of these are allowed to be carried in carry on. Only tools (pliers, hammers, etc) are restricted to your checked baggage. Have a safe flight.
Thanks Bambi, I'm looking forward to a good trip- I'll get some work done and accumulate a bunch of miles.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:20 pm

Programs: unemployment
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Thanks Bambi, I'm looking forward to a good trip- I'll get some work done and accumulate a bunch of miles.
Your welcome Gargoyle, always glad to help. I didn't realize that this would turn into a debate, but I should have known better. Exactly as was said earlier, the line has to be drawn somewhere. And I bet that until someone uses a tape measure to do something to an airplane, they will be allowed. I'm curious as to why something metal would make a difference. Metal IS allowed on flights, why the concern?? Be safe and have a good flight!!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Careful

When the xray operator opens your carry on, finds the strange Metal object, and asks you what it is, I would suggest telling them it is a Miniature Pocket Level.

Even though it is the correct technical name, at screening I would not call <anything> a Torpedo.
IntlRabbit likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Even though it is the correct technical name, at screening I would not call <anything> a Torpedo.
Good point.

Passed through smoothly at both ORD and SNA, screeners were efficient and smiling (although ORD had a long line and one WTMD was down, so the workload was hectic for them). No shoe carnival, no problems at either location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.