U.S. asks for more data on travelers

Old May 4, 05, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
U.S. asks for more data on travelers

The federal government plans to begin collecting the full names and birth dates of air travelers this summer in its latest effort to screen passengers for possible links to terrorism.

USA TODAY
Old May 4, 05, 5:03 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
How much do the Israelis and Brits know about us when we leave their airports? Been wondering how much they can dig up about US citizens.

- Pat
Old May 4, 05, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by windwalker
The federal government plans to begin collecting the full names and birth dates of air travelers this summer in its latest effort to screen passengers for possible links to terrorism.

USA TODAY
This is the part of the article that especially caught my eye & I had to read it several times to make sure I was reading what I thought I was reading:

The TSA also will compare passengers' names with the government's comprehensive watch list. Airlines screen travelers against a partial list that omits names the government considers too sensitive to release.

Let me get this straight-the "most sensitive" names, which I took to mean those of the highest risk, highest priority to find, & highest priority to allegedly keep off the planes via this watch list, AREN'T EVEN ACCESSIBLE TO THE AIRLINES RIGHT NOW????

What am I missing??
Old May 4, 05, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by windwalker

USA TODAY
Will they use this to screen out the false matches? I.e. the John Smith shoe salesman and the John Q. Smith (not using his middile initial) terrorist can now be differentiated via their birth date. Will that mean less harrasment for John Smith (shoe salesman)? Or will they now also start to harrass the Bob Jone's that have the same birthday as John Q. Smith (terrorist)?
Old May 4, 05, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's what jumped out at me...

Travelers will be encouraged but not required to give the personal information. Under the current system, only a last name and first initial are needed to reserve a flight.

Passengers who don't comply with the request will dramatically increase their chances of being stopped at airports for questioning or pat-downs
So, we now have a second reason for retaliatory secondary screening (in addition to the shoe fetish).

"The vast majority of travelers will be willing to give their full name and date of birth," Oberman predicted.
Sorry, pal. Not me. Guess I'm in your view of the "minority" -- anybody else want to join the bandwagon? FYI, if you want to send this guy an email on the subject, try: [email protected].

Two airlines will begin transmitting full names and birth dates of each passenger to the TSA for comparison with a terrorist watch list. The TSA expects to name the airlines within a week.
I wonder if we will be asked for this information or whether or not they will pull it from frequent flyer records or other data they already have?

In order for Secure Flight to go beyond the test phase, TSA must ensure that few passengers will be incorrectly tagged as terrorism suspects.
Yeah, right.
Old May 4, 05, 10:07 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Have any actual terrorists been captured as a result of SSSSelectee screening ?

Have any actual terrorists been captured as a result of CAPPS or any other no-fly or watch list ? *

Does anybody believe that actual terrorists are not aware of these lists, and will therefore take steps to conceal their identities ?

Can anyone provide a cogent argument why this has anything at all to do with preventing aviation terrorism ?

The above questions are not rhetorical. I would like answers.

* and I don't mean ageing popstars or invited academics
Old May 4, 05, 11:02 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Angry

This is war.

Secondary every time, and they can shove it out their asses. I'll never give them my birthday. There is absolutely no need for it.
Old May 4, 05, 11:27 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I suggest that all of us refuse to provide our DOB. We must all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately.

Old May 4, 05, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JS
I suggest that all of us refuse to provide our DOB. We must all hang together, or surely we will all hang separately.

What sucks is that the DOB is going to be asked for up-front when booking; I can see it now:
  • Airline & travel websites won't issue e-tickets without a DOB
  • Phone agents say, "We have to have your DOB to make this reservation!" (or pull it up from your FF account w/o asking(
  • TSA agents scribble it down from your driver's license, passport, etc. to double-check that they match and to catch those who slip through the booking-time interrogations.

Old May 4, 05, 11:52 am
JS
Suspended

What happens if we just make up one?
Old May 4, 05, 11:54 am
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Originally Posted by JS
What happens if we just make up one?
Don't know, but I already have a fake one that I use regularly.
Old May 4, 05, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
At first, I figured I will just resist, get to the airport early to get my groping, and tell any TSA person who protests my lack of cooperation to stick it up his/her Ashcroft...then I started to think....this is all a database...and it is fairly easy to make a database useless by filling it with garbage...since, garbage_in = garbage_out

so....what is to stop us from giving a different birthdate each and every time we book a ticket. For those who don't accumulate miles (the ticket name usually has to match the account to get credit), you can give a slightly different variation of your name each time you travel - for example, Al, Allen, Allan, Alan, etc. etc. If enough people get on the bandwagon, we can cause some serious ripples in the accuracy of their data.

So, we would be complying, avoiding secondary, but poisoning the database with garbage everytime we booked a ticket.

Would it end up sinking SecureFlight? Probably not...but it would call needed attention to the stupidity of these procedures and possibly get some of the Sheeple out there to wake up and see there are some people who won't sit quietly and comply with their orders.

Any thoughts?
Old May 4, 05, 12:13 pm
JS
Suspended

Might want to try this on a different bulletin board...

Originally Posted by bocastephen
At first, I figured I will just resist, get to the airport early to get my groping, and tell any TSA person who protests my lack of cooperation to stick it up his/her Ashcroft...then I started to think....this is all a database...and it is fairly easy to make a database useless by filling it with garbage...since, garbage_in = garbage_out

so....what is to stop us from giving a different birthdate each and every time we book a ticket. For those who don't accumulate miles (the ticket name usually has to match the account to get credit), you can give a slightly different variation of your name each time you travel - for example, Al, Allen, Allan, Alan, etc. etc. If enough people get on the bandwagon, we can cause some serious ripples in the accuracy of their data.

So, we would be complying, avoiding secondary, but poisoning the database with garbage everytime we booked a ticket.

Would it end up sinking SecureFlight? Probably not...but it would call needed attention to the stupidity of these procedures and possibly get some of the Sheeple out there to wake up and see there are some people who won't sit quietly and comply with their orders.

Any thoughts?
Old May 4, 05, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by JS
Might want to try this on a different bulletin board...
OK...I had a 'duh' moment

Last edited by bocastephen; May 4, 05 at 1:03 pm
Old May 4, 05, 12:32 pm

Read the posts with interest and I am glad to see I am not the only annoyed by these "enhancements" to US security. However, you are all based in the US.

I am frequent visitor to the US (mostly on business - around once per month). A full range of my date (20-30 data pieces) are transferred to Big Brother every single time. These data include name, date and place of birth, meal preference, purchasement method, etc. etc. This truly bothers me - but nothing I can do about it. Tryin stating a different DOB - will only get me a lot of trouble

This together with biometric passport, numerous forms and questionable TSA procedures makes US the far most difficult and "big brother'ish country to travel to/from - China, Russia, Burma/Myanmar are all easier to travel to from.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: